Tank feels nigh unplayable with discord in its current state

Please for god sakes do something about this. The tank role died so long ago and at the moment discord is basically just spitting on its grave.

There isn’t enough external damage mitigation to deal with it unless you play rectangle man and just hold down shield for as long as damn possible. Why do you have to stay behind cover for 3 entire god damn seconds and pray to god a pixel of your character doesn’t show up on the enemy zens screen?

It needs to have some form of downtime because it is just sucking out what little fun is left to have within the tank role.

This doesn’t even feel like a git gud situation. Unless my dps can somehow deal with him before we engage, its a death sentence. I have legit been blown up as hog in a millisecond from just peeking a corner.

Buff zen however you want, I don’t care. Just put discord on an actual cooldown, DRASTICALLY reduce the amount of damage it amps or make it break immediately on leaving his LoS. There is no mechanical skill requirement for it, it has no cooldown, it shouldn’t be this forgiving. It amps an insane amount of damage in this garbage hitscan poke meta.

The general balance state of the game has changed so much since these OG characters first came out. We don’t have endlessly cycling shields or near limitless Def Matrix anymore. This much damage amping is just overkill with how much damage is already flying around, and with how the tank role has changed in general. I genuinely cannot even imagine playing tank in OW2 if discord is anything like its current iteration.

15 Likes

I’m not a fan of permament debuffs like discord either, especially against tanks. I wish zen was reworked but blizzard already said that they don’t have any plans to change zenyatta for OW2.

5 Likes

I just don’t see how its going to work tbh. How are tanks going to survive against characters that are still designed to be tank busters when you don’t have an ally tank? Throw discord into the mix and its just going to be a mess. Damage is just out of control rn.

8 Likes

I do agree with opener and thank them for adressing the giant elephant in the room.

Has anybody ever thought about shifting Discord damage amp formula? Placing it after armour damage mitigation instead of before?

Currently armor applies last, meaning Discord amps an extra +1.25 damage per shot.

Doesn’t sound like much but it all adds up fast, plus doesn’t affect Sigma nor Hog, which are nuisances (to say the least) on their on right.

2 Likes

the problem is the only thing people play zen is for discord

if u nerf discord, even if u buff his heal to 50 hps, no one will pick it, bap is just better

also stop hyperbole too much, yes tank sometimes explode in 1 sec

but of over my 300 hours tank gameplay in various account, this only happens like less than 3%

2 Likes

Lets not pretend Bap is not op on his account as well.

basicly not only bap, but even moira would be better than zen with nerfed discord

Highly doubt it. Don’t equate nerfing with removing.

It shouldn’t matter. With how strong it is right now I honestly think it could take a nerf and still be good. They could just lower team amp and keep zen’s own full damage increase whilst looking at LoS requirements or something. Maybe even allow him to apply orbs during m2 charge. If they can find that sweet spot between tanks not blowing up just by being looked at, and zen being able to sufficiently protect himself, we’ll be good.

Because lets be real, there are very few DPS in this game that actually struggle to deal with a tank anymore.

Something’s gotta change though. Tanking is bad enough right now with the mcchandicap/hanzo/soldier tankbusting fest that’s going on. None of these 3 require any kind of damage amping to be able to do their job adequately, discord is just over the top.

this is was happen when people complain about flanker

zen was fine before brig and bap

he was strong but easy to dive and to kill by flanker

brig bap make it broken

maybe address this 2 first then take alot at zen later

lets be honest when bap and brig was trash, no one complain about zen even at 30% discord

In an ideal world I’d love to give it a try.

But until those reworks from Cloud Cuckoo Land arrive in the Invisible Jet we need practical solutions.

Another reason for why shield tanks are better than non shield ones.

seriously while enemy tank complain about discord

zen team probably complaining about lack of heal (for majority of player anyway)

2 Likes

Just put him in a DPS slot. That’s all he’s there for anyways, besides his ult. Problem solved.

Everyone has experienced standing next to Zen spamming the ‘heal me’ button at 10 health and being completely ignored. Soldiers are more likely to acknowledge you.

1 Like

Imagine going against Discord, Bap and Brig/Damage Beam.

Tanks would need 1000 HP each.

Lol sure, but you also would have an extra actual healer on your team, and they’d have 1 less (hanzo/soldier/cassidy).

LOS checks are kinda bad in current overwatch, not sure why they just don’t do LOS checks from the enemy in a lot of situations.

1 Like

It kinda made sense in old overwatch with how much damage mitigation tanks had, but those days are long gone.

3 Likes

That is true, a stupid instant no cooldown ability, requires no skill nor aim + wallhack on top of it.
They need to make this ability 15% damage amp that goes with hitting rightclick (full charge). If one of the rightclick orbs hits the target, it automatically applies a discord orb on that target.

1 Like