Sym's new "Fairly thick" beam, huh?

But it doesnt have right now and i hope its a bug, it deals exactly like her normal turret from live. Some people are already testing it and its the same.

1 Like

Hitscan doesn’t necessarily mean hard to play. Anyway new sym isn’t pure hitscan. Also lost in all this where is my lock on madness is the fact that her m2 has an earth sized hit box and since you can shoot you turrets forward it’s much easier to have them supplement your damage during a fight.

2 Likes

I’m sure it is a bug, since they stated in the patch notes that it is supposed to have more dmg and slow ability.

1 Like

It really isnt though, they couldnt justify a lock on beam with charged up dmg and they cant just give it full dmg because thats overpowered.

Its not unfair to fix a character that was unviable trash since the beginning, its unfair to expect blizzard to hurt their game balance simply to pander.

4 Likes

Also not every sym main is attached to her lock on. Honestly sym was my first main because of her turrets and unique play style not her lock on beam. I personally found that aspect of her boring and honestly unfair in certain circumstances

They can make Symmetra viable without changing the nature of her weapon though. They already did that by adding her new ultimate, changing the turrets and changing her teleporter.

All they had to do was reduce the damage and they could still keep the lock on part, or make a compromise and make the weapon a soft lock-on like Moira’s and increase the damage slightly. This would mean the weapon would be roughly the same as before but Symmetras would no longer be able to kill people behind walls and people who are above/behind her. I agree the way the beam bends around stuff now is ridiculous but surely a soft lock on beam like Moira’s would fix that without changing the weapon too dramatically?

In my opinion her new weapon is even more powerful than it was before. I don’t think the having to aim aspect will make much difference.

1 Like

If you find her primary beam too thin (at full charge) then I’m sorry for you dude.

I don’t know if you’re aware, but the point at which her beam connects with a target, regardless of her current charge level is always the same. It doesn’t make it easier to aim the higher it gets.

Regardless, if you can’t aim at a character that’s 10 meters in front of you, then it’s you not the hero that needs work.

In all honesty, tracking with a consistent beam is fairly easy. If it’s something the player can’t adapt to (I assume for natural and/or medical reasons), then there are other options.

That includes other accessible heroes such as Mercy, Winston, Reinhardt, Brigitte, D.Va, and probably more in the future. Symmetra being accessible was nice. But being accessible and utterly useless is far from nice. Both to the person playing her and the team stuck with that Symmetra.

Anyway, Symmetra’s beam is the size of a fully charged Zarya beam. While it technically isn’t much different, it’s better than guessing if a tiny pin-point-laser-beam is touching someone or not lol.

none of you have played her on an actuañ match.
her beam is not aim intensive

Zarya’s beam is massive though lol

Yeah the “fairly thick” part is the 1st lie i detected, 3 turrets doing double damage and double slow effect would be the second lie. what a dreadful rework.

2 Likes

Overwatch isn’t a traditional FPS. It’s built on a hero theme which introduces different mechanics. I wish people would stop comparing it to traditional FPS

3 Likes

It gets thicker as it ramps up but yeah it’s pretty much Zarya’s thick at the highest level, not bad for a weapon with that amount of dmg

In alpha they had 7 second cooldown. I think that would be fair.

gorl… its overwatch

The devs said they want Overwatch to be a game easy to get into. They never said anything about handicaps.

1 Like

That’s a bug.

hella t h i c c cccccccccccc

She does absurd damage now and beam tracking doesn’t take as much practice as other heroes in my opinion. I’d say this is mostly a good thing for Sym mains, no? The range does feel quite short though, not as forgiving as the increased range of the lock-off old Sym had.

Honestly I feel like her primary fire was fine the way it was for the most part though, it could’ve done with an adjustment to how long it stays connected around corners and when enemies are out of range (most people felt it was unfair to get ‘out of range’ but die because she has a bit of lock-of leeway). Maybe something like Moira with a bit more noticeable lock on would be a happy medium.