Symmetra Rework: Defense or Support?

I don’t think you understand what burst damage and chip damage is. Burst damage is just a lot of damage in a very short amount of time, not high damage from a single instance of damage. Chip damage is damage meant for chipping down targets before you move in, not multiple instances of damage.

1 Like

Greetings!
First of all, thank you for great game. Most enjoyable playtime after work.
And, if I may, I would like to suggest alternative to ultimate You’ve described.

Sym is most known to be builder - turrets, teleport, generator. So maybe her ult might be a building one tool.
How about that: Symmetra places a barrier in form like temple of Shiva (4 walls and pyramid on top) on marked spot.
But this barrier got different properties from usual ones:
It cannot be penetrated neither by enemy nor by your team.
Each of 4 wall and top pyramid has personal, descent (from head - 450-600) barrier hp, i.e. each part can be broken separatelly.
Both enemy and friend cannot move outside barrier (kinda stasis field).
Both enemy and friend can damage it.
Existing time is limited
Sym can cancel it anytime.

So, it will be like both-sided non-damaging ult, with which Sym can both disable opponent and, which is also suits her character, I think, save teammates.
Since barrier is damagable, Opponent’s team should descide whether they want to free their teammate or keep going. Meanwhile, Sym’s team will also be able to choose whether they want to ignore captured for now or eat through closest wall and focus that captured target.
I’m sure, sometimes it will be a race like “who can eat through first”.
Top pyramid will allow some characters like Genji and Pharah be saved by a little bit unconventional way.

Also, this ult will add some points for high-sustain-damage niche characters like Bastion as counterpick (so far it doesn’t seem like bastion can be counter to many ultimates).

Thank you if you managed to read that through :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It will still pierce shields, right?

perhaps I have the terms wrong, but either way, you’ve still got it backwards.

Shields are good for recovering large instances of slow firing damage, like zarya rmb, road rmb, rockets, nades, mines.

armor reduces damage per instance making it far more effective against d.va’s LMB, soldier, tracer, sombra, bastion.

Sorry, I forgot to say this in my last post. I agree with what you said, I just was confused the terms you the used and misunderstood you the first time.

All the signs point to the new ones not piercing, I want the old ones that do piercing.

2 Likes

It does sound good, but… remember history. And TBH I not saying this won’t be good I’m just saying it sounds like a familiar tone.

3 Likes

I hope the new tp will be two way tp. It’ll make it more dynamic. Not only will you put people in good spots you can also bring them.

1 Like

I like these changes, they sound fun. I’d be super excited if she also got her slide ability from her comic. Its the first panel on page 9, I think (going from the cover page on the web comic).

Since, ya know, I’m making requests and all, could there be some new pre-game banter voice lines between Symmetra Angand Torbjorn? I work as an engineering consultant and the architects and engineers always joke about each other. For example the architect changes a wall, and then the engineer has to rework their equipment layout.

Mei is a great example of a utility dos and she is a great reference point for Sym’s rework IMO.

Just as an idea Geoff, seeing as overwatch is a team based game, one thing that I thought you could give Sum is the ability to reinforce barriers. Maybe change the alt fire to primary and the new alt would help heal barriers. This doesn’t seem too broken as Orissa and Winston barriers disappear after an amount of time and would definitely help Reinhardt as he lacks range and mobility. Number wise I’m not sure what would work but thought it might be worth me posting the idea anyway.

Will her ultimate charge when previous barrier is deployed? The one problem with playing Symmetra is that she have any benefit of damaging is when her ult is charging. What if her new ult has less hp or is smaller but can be charged while deployed?
Also there were problems that you build her shield generator it could stand here all match even if there was a mistake to put it here or it should be teleporter that I would prefer to destroy it even if I had to charge ultimate again and I think that that new ultimate could have the same problem that fight will go in the different place and barrier will be useless for allies and not worth destroying for enemies. So there should be an option to destroy it and charge again.
I have no idea about game design but I love to play Symmetra and I really want her to be better.

Not sure if you’re gonna read this, but with the possible change from a lock-on to a laser beam, you sure this will remain player friendly? What I mean is, is she still going to be accessible for those with less-than-stellar aim like winston, rein, brigitte, mercy (staff), and even moira? I have a friend and she’s not fond of FPS, but with Symmetra she feels comfortable when not playing Mercy (and now Brigitte). I think it’s still important to keep characters like these still in-game. I think if you could go for something like Moira’s lock-on she’d still be fine

1 Like

I REALLY wish blizzard could add that at least. I don’t like the idea of how the entrance would spawn randomly, wonder if it was placed in a unsafe spot. :anguished:

I still hope they don’t change her secondary fire piercing abilities. Make it faster but leave that please.

Expanded on my teleporter idea in another topic if you’re interested. They won’t let me post links so just delete the spaces in the early part of the link below.

https : // us . forums .blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/idea-for-symmetras-new-teleporter/86022

1 Like

The players who rely on it have no skill, anyone can hold left click down and win. I hope this change happens so they are forced to get better.

2 Likes

Her turrent change reminds me of Combat Girl from Super MNC, she used to throw turrents at surfeces, and they would stick, which I think is a pretty good idea for symmetra.
TBH though, I am afraid. I main Symmetra, and this feels like a lot of changes, a lot more than her first rework, which will change how it feels to play her completly.
I guess we’ll see with time…

Also I don’t like how her teleporter is changed. It’s probably only going to be able to be placed on the ground, and the location has to be on my line of sight, so when placing the teleporter both the entrance and exit will probably be on the enemies Line of Sight too. It completly changes what the teleporter is supost to be used for. It would be better if we could at least choose where the entrance goes.

Changes look great so far. I was curious to see if we could stick the new turrets onto the new ultimate barrier?