Symmetra Rework: Defense or Support?

So can we teleport back and forth now or is it still only one-way?

does it pierce shields still? i hope not

Shield Generator had quite a few issues tbh
It was very strong with low hp heroes, but barely noticeable with high hp ones
It does not impact a fight immediately like other ults (including tp)
If the enemy team is halveway competent at focus fire it actually does nothing
It is a very supportive ability and Symmetra is being moved to Defense, so a zoning/protective/fight ending ult is more appropriate
I loved Shield Gen on Support Symmetra, but it was a bandaid to how weak her original TP was on final point defenses.

3 Likes

I think the lockon could be changed to be more like Moira’s- a little less flexible and still be fine, but I also wouldn’t want to see it removed entirely. It’s her ability to move so freely while attacking that makes her gun work.

2 Likes

I’m gonna guess not since he pointed out environments, it’d be op if not. Imagine Pharah shooting through barriers but doing slightly more damage

Well if he doesn’t say so personally, I am still allowed to venture a guess as to his rationale for removing shield gen.

My guess is that it’s clunky, and simply does not fit when swapping her ult with her photon barrier.
Being able to toggle between two ults is one thing, but toggling an E ability with a completely different E ability is another. Between the two, I’d much rather have more reliable, more tactical teleports than the passive shield buff on your teammates, (even though it made both Zarya and Zenyatta far more fun to play, and they are my favorites).
Long story short, her kit was really complicated in the first rework, and a new rework was bound to have at least one thing go by the wayside, and I think the shield gen taking that hit was the right call. There is no reason that it could not go to some other hero later down the line anyhow.

I just want to be sure. “Environment” doesn’t necessarily include shields.

1 Like

I’m a bit concerned about alternative fire changes you described.

It sounds just like another rocket-like type of projectile which we already have on pharah and soldier at least. Old alt fire maybe was a bit clunky, but at least it felt unique and useful in certain scenarios (and that’s what is Symmetra is about imo)

its just very weird to remove it when symmetra already had 2 ultimates.

Considering that she’s no longer a Support, I understand removing the Shield Gen entirely. However, I always found the concept of a support providing shields to allies (reliably, as in not via an ult like Lucio) very interesting.

I really hope you guys will revisit the concept of a shield-based support at some point. Like a shield version of Brigitte, pretty much.

These changes sound super interesting and promising, though! Thank you so much for listening to all of the feedback and being willing to make such radical changes. I’m ready to beam down all of the people.

1 Like

There is a blizz button at the sidebar that will link you directly to any dev reply in the thread.

1 Like

Can’t you just keep her support? Being able to destroy barriers easily along with the ultimate already adds more supportive capabilities. Combined this with her shield gen and some quality of life changes and she’s good

this is what you said to geoff but you have given no reason why she shouldn’t have it. none at all

I’m curious as to how this worked? What was the HPS per turret and how did the turrets decide which teammate to lock onto?

Not to mention that it is very clunky to use since you’re punished for putting it too early, and it pretty much locks you out of using your other ultimate until you either switch, capture a point, or have it destroyed by the enemy.

1 Like

Wait, but you’re the one that said…

no shields?

then why is the picture with 32 teleports in a game about then?

I’m so hyped! This rework looks SOO SICK! :smile:

Edit: I’d be hyped if this was my main tbh. They went all out and i’m excited for symmetra to be played especially on my team!

WOW! The new Teleporter opens a lot of possibilities to heroes such Ana. She has limited mobility, with this new tool she can easily reach high ground and start to heal from a new perspective!

1 Like

Is Photon Barrier on a time limit or is it permanent until destroyed?