Symmetra losing her purpose hurts a lot

Who else besides Orisa/Bastion in Anubis and maybe Volskaya first point?

Her teleport plus d.va ult for example is devastating. Her and Rein/zarya and some other deathball comps. Her tele port can also land some good roadhog hook flanks in a hit and run.

Indeed. I played a LOT of Symmetra back in the day but with 3.0 my playtime has drastically decreased. Not because 3.0 would be plain bad, I can still have fun with it, but because with 2.0 I knew when Sym would be a good pick. ā€œOh yes Iā€™m going to play her and itā€™s going to work.ā€ Sure, it might have made her more situational and stuff but her purpose was clear. (Not gonna lie, making Genjis day miserable was some of the best fun I had. Hah! You thought you could just flank like you own the place?)

With 3.0 Iā€™m struggling with finding her a good spot and mostly play her when I just feel like it. Yes, her tele and Ult can be really good but, for most of time, nobody wants to work with me. I put my tele on Volskaya to teleport my team to left across the fall (you know the place), say ā€œGroup up!ā€ multiple timesā€¦ and it falls on deaf ears. I could try to flank on my own but I could do so more effectively with another character. Since I also canā€™t disrupt the choke with piercing Orbs anymore, I switch since it seems I canā€™t bring value.

1 Like

You could find 2.0 in Plat, and being viable. 3.0 is stuck in mid gold. Winston still counters her (albeit not as hard), but there are better options. Iā€™d only use her on defense in Volskya, Anubis, and Hanamura. Nowhere else, not even Numbani. IMO

1 Like

Although I think Sym is better in GM and up, I think she lost a lot of what was fun about her. She has completely lost her uniqueness. Before she was a support that could also do some heavy damage from time to time. Now sheā€™s a damage dealer with a teleporter thatā€™s only used by herself 99% of the time, and a shield that lasts 15 seconds.

TP/SG, barrier, piercing orbs and her old way of setting up turrets were my favorite things about her and literally all of them are gone lmaoā€¦

2 Likes

No, but people who played her thought they were doing much more than they actually were. Basically, ā€œI love this hero so sheā€™s good and usefulā€. Sym 2.0 was garbage and so is 3.0.

More the other way around. Sym boosted her team in ways they didnt realize or appreciate

3 Likes

I most of all miss her photon projector and her Sym balls piercing shield barriers. In this meta of 1-2 shields plus Dva and mercy and 2-3 snipers, those old Sym balls would be clutch. Now you have to get within Junkrat/Reaper close range to take down the shields with her primary (because Sym balls are too slow and weak to take shields out) and that will always put super squishy Sym at a weak position, where she has no photon projector to increase her survivability.

Heck, Iā€™d accept keeping her as is and just giving us back both of those, or at least the photon projector. But right now, sheā€™s situational and very difficult to use effectively, unlike every other hero that the developers seem to want to buff (Junkrat, Reaper, Reinhardt, DVA, etc)

I also have to add: TP is near useless. Apart from few situational roles like moving your team to an otherwise unreachable spot, the TP is too slow to deploy, doesnā€™t last long enough, and doesnā€™t reach far enough in possible deployment. If I want to place one at the match start to get my team to the point faster, teammates that walked instead of teleporting would be further ahead - thatā€™s how slow and short range it is, and thus loses a large amount of functionality.

1 Like

Certainly enjoyed her old ultimates far more than her current one. To me that was the biggest loss. By removing old TP you encourage more ult spam and give defenders even lower chances of saving a fight. Shield Gen was amazing for last point sustain and 5 dps quick play comps :ā€™)

The ult should be able to kill, or be impassable, or slow, or only have a door were its placed.

I was ashamed to be a Sym main for a while when she was a bit less of a challenge. Now I feel ashamed to be a semi Sym main because she isnā€™t viable anymore.
Her ult wall now- walk through it, its not harm. Her old set up with the throwable barrier was amazing, her current TP is wonderful. What was wrong with the idea of a shield generator in the first place? The charm Sym had is gone and my enjoyment with her dwindles just like her pick rate

1 Like

Unfortunately, I must disagree with you. TP is far from useless, itā€™s just not optimal in its current iteration.

I find I use it continuously throughout engagements, in order to reposition myself, or give my allies high ground during team fights.

I use it to engage with turrets and pop through after in order to secure kills on solo members of the enemy team. I use it to distract. I use it to relocate.

If youā€™re not actively using the teleporter to assist you, youā€™re not getting the full impact Symmetra has the capability to offer.

Thatā€™s not to say that it doesnā€™t have its share of drawbacks. Slow deployment time greatly hampers its effectiveness for utilization as an escape mechanism, but if you play smart and put it down previous to the engagement, or place it down during a lull in combat, you can use it to great effect.

Do I want to see the TP placement and deployment sped up? You bet. I think it would go a long way to rounding the character out. Iā€™d also like to see the teleporter stay present, rather than disappearing. Since it has such a small amount of health/shields, thereā€™s no reason why it shouldnā€™t be allowed to maintain indefinitely until destroyed.

Ah man, what a piece of nostalgia. This really makes me miss the old Sym.

2 Likes

Ironically, she was the support who took up a dps slot.