Symmetra as support?

I honestly don’t care who you play or what you do. Again, this post is just to juggle ideas, not crap on others for having a thought process. Be better

1 Like

So if you aren’t going to play Sojourn and I’m not interested in kiriko what’s the point of your argument? You dont want to play the new dps but you still have 14 other options where support players have 7. And that isnt including if your main was taken by the other support player.

Yeah I’m open to the idea but not just supps. The requirements of roles in OW are not so specific imo.

Tanks are characters who has equal to or over 400 base(no buffs) HP.
Supp are charaters who can heal near-constantly.
Damage are characters who are not tanks and not supps.

So, any charcter can be reworked into any role technically.

Also, changing dps into tanks or supps is always welcome for me. It means they are buffed significantly as a character imo, cause, well, you could experience it in OQ, where only the pure value of a character matters regardless of roles and picking DPS is considered more or less throwing.

An enemy and a teammate are in the turret area - who should give way to? and if there are two companions, who should he heal? Are you thinking about an AoE effect of the turrets? and in that case, would the health of the turrets be justifiable with current survival and summoning rates? it is much more complex than we think.

An example of how this beam would be structured? as ana?

Brigitte taught us very well that giving a shield to a character who gives healings implies a substantial difficulty in giving him good skills and giving him a fair survival in the battlefield. Brigitte has ruined herself with the aoe of inspire that they still continue to value against the other skills, symmetra could have the same disadvantage through the turrets.

Absolutely better his current ultimate for his current skills. But the shield generator is one of the more boring and lazy techniques in symmetra, even if only with the “summon it next to the respawn poin > gg” tactic.

same problems of brigitte … and moira for a very selfish gameplay. and the absence of barriers could already make it more optional than before with this logic.

Well your thought process is about removing my main from OW1 launch from the game and replace her with a healbot for support mains that didnt like Kiriko, and most of it is literally just ‘‘what if we make Sym worse… but this time with healing’’.

1 Like

Sounds like a selfish reason to me

I’m in no way saying that the ideas I put out should be the changes implemented and I’m glad to see some one actually having intellectual input. Other then saying all ideas are “poop” and just leave it alone or supports should just be happy with Kiriko.

I am finding Sym is needed in the DPS roster as she is one of the few particle beam primary options in the dps pool that can bypass things such as Orisa’s deflect, D.va’s Defense matric, and Sigma’s kinetic grasp.

The only other option (not at the moment but normally) is Mei. Yes, Echo has a beam but it is on a cooldown and is best used when a target is reduced to below half and is more suited for burst down rather than consistent pressure.

Every other hero has no means to bypass these mechanics.

Yes, DPS has a lot of options. But each of these options serve a purpose within the the role. Many are more commonly used like the knife on a swiss army knife. While others are used less often but can be helpful in a pinch like a corkscrew on a swiss army knife.

Sym should remain a DPS and the focus be directed toward more support hero’s so that we can enhance that roles options without taking away from others.

1 Like

Turrets for heals doesn’t work very well, it was tried in experimental.
I’d say make her secondary fire heal instead. Buff her beam a little since it’s be her only attack. The support passive would help her a lot.
Buff/change her turrets a bit so that she can create a nest for herself to help counter flanking like her original build. Or replace them with something else entirely that gives some other team benefit as a support. Maybe overshield generator, but it’s got limited range so it’s not just permanently boosting the team like the old ult one and is something you put down to reinforce a team during a fight that can be destroyed, but helps with something like pushing through a bottleneck (but once you’re beyond that bottleneck you’re out of range again anyway and it has a finite lifespan of a few seconds, maybe 10?)

There’s lot of ways she could be revamped as a support given her hard light concept basically lets her do anything.

I think they should lean more into support constructs. Like a hardlight barrier that acts like a mini icewall against foes, providing temporary cover (like 1.5-2 seconds) for repositioning or protecting against a burst of damage.

Her ult is a good support ult, but teleporter back to her ult but let her place it anywhere on the map so she can reposition the entire team and attack from a completely different angle.

There’s lots of things that could be done and honestly support is the better place to put her for it

2 Likes

My rework idea for Symmetra.

Primary - Photon Projector - Damage 70/140 Ramp up, 2 tiers (Instead of current 60/120/180, 3 tiers). Now locks on. Range reduced from 12 meters to 10. Ammo usage unchanged. Ammo Capacity increased from 100 to 140.

Secondary Fire - Removed (Replaced with Ability 3)

Ability 1 - Healing Beacons (Replaces Sentry Turrets) - 8 Cooldown per charge, 3 charges. Build a healing stationary healing beacon that heals for 30 healing a second in a 9 meter radius that can stack with each other. Each station has 100hp and are permanent until destroyed or redeployed. Cast/build time is 0.5 seconds. Holding down the ability (or interact) button will disassemble all current Healing Beacons and refund half the Cooldown for each.

Ability 2 - Teleporter - No changes.

Ability 3 - Photon Barrier (No Longer an Ultimate) - Fire a barrier forward that moves at 2 meter/sec until it hits an object or is destroyed. 12 Second Cooldown, 0.22 Second Cast Time, 600 Barrier HP.

Ultimate - Hardlight Eruption (Replaces Photon Barrier) - Symmetra and all allies within 20 meters of her get a small station barrier built in front of them that lasts 1 second, has 300 HP, and burst heals each target to full health.

Symmetra HP reduced from 225 to 200, same shield health, less base health. Role is changed from Damage to Support.

Unviable.

Congrats she will be a team TP slave and switched immediately after for a better support.

The fact that people suggest all this to make her an inoffensive healbot with low damage while keeping team TP, the root of all her issues, should be enough evidence that most support Sym people dont know what a support needs to be viable, or dont care to understand why Sym is bad right now.

Support is designed to SUPPORT the rest of the team. They should not be focusing on damage outside of defending themselves.

Support characters are not designed to solo the entire enemy team. In fact, a good team utilizes the tank to take the brunt of the incoming damage while defending their support characters and allowing the dps players to attack the enemy team effectively.

It isn’t the TP that is the issue, it sher Turrets. TP is a fantastic utility tool that belongs in the support category with many of the other great support utilities.

Her turrets, however are what is limiting her kit. It’s an annoying ability that everyone hates to deal with and people want to suggest making it heal in just about every “Rework” idea. Get rid of this stupid ability, let it die, and replace the possibilities for her are endless.

1 Like

No, no no…
Even Lucio’s amp up healing doesn’t reach this level and stacking is just OP.

Lower hps and remove stacking

Numbers can be fine tuned of course. But you are also forgetting it’s biggest flaw. While it is powerful for holding an area, it is stationary, so it is very poor for mobile comps.

1 Like

If Sym were to become a support, healing turrets could work, but the cooldown on them would have to be lowered pretty significantly so that she can constantly move them around. I like the idea of having another source of healing in her kit though in addition to that. You’d also have to code the turrets so that Sym could change their target, or code them so that they target whoever is missing the largest percentage of health in their range.

1 Like

Her sentries are not the issue and have never been the issue.

They have been nerfed into awfulness and with zero compensation to Sym herself.

TP is a mapbreaking gimmick that destroys the balance of maps and was not properly tested. Blizz has nerfed Sym’s damage every single time its used seriously in OWL.

It doesnt have a play in any kit as a cooldown ability. Its broken beyond understanding and the only reason why Sym isnt picked in OWL for more than spawn instant switch TP is because she sucks so much as a DPS hero.

No one cares that you cant destroy stationary targets. Literally the only people who complain about sentries are bad players.

They are the most flexible tool Sym has, while team TP is utter garbage as team utility in ladder.

The truth is that at this point the only people who complain about sentries at this point are people who would rather blame Sentries for Symmetra killing them even if it was perfectly aimed orbs or perfectly tracked beams.

We won’t ever get bonus armor or shields again. So, Sym as a support is not going to happen. Also healing turrets are really bad.
Let’s keep her doing damage, okay? I member how useless she was in the “support” and “defensive” roles.

With the kit you’ve provided why would I pick her over Kiriko, Bap, or Moira?

Sym 2.0 was not useless and its because she was a better defense DPS than current Sym.

She was never a support, and was more viable in more maps than Sym 3.0 ever was.

Imagine not knowing the history of your main

2 Likes