Symmetra 3.0: A Summary From a 200 Hour Sym Main

I can get wanting the old playstyle back. I have my grievances with blizz for removing the old survival hunter play style on WoW in favor of a melee spec to harken back to WoW classic (even though it was also played at ranged back then too) but the character hasn’t changed so drastically as to be unrecognizable.

Some of her key game play elements did change drastically, and I think some of the criticisms should be taken seriously. The new beam just feels lacking. I like your buff sugestions for it.

I’m honestly hoping that with a minor buff or two, we’ll see her more as I genuinely find her to he a fun DPS to play against, with, and as. She forces the two teams to think and approach the game differently.

1 Like

Wholeheartedly agree with this post! Sym 3.0 is the best version yet! With some minor adjustments to tick rate on her LMB and some bug fixes to TP, I think she will be perfect!

She has so much play-making potential and versatility that old sym just didn’t have. Now if only there was a way to ensure your team won’t report you the second you pick her…

2 Likes

Exactly! Thank you so much for your kind words! :slight_smile:

Yea, exactly. It’s sad to see old Sym features being completely removed, but if it’s healthier in the long-term for the game and hero then it’s good.

why do you make so many topics??
its not needed to spam the forums, one topic is enough :wink:

If you’re referring to Sym topics, it’s because I wanted to summarise all my previous thoughts and everything I wanted to say into one new fresh post now that I’ve had more time to play her.

I also made another post earlier featuring this one as this was originally buried beneath the many many crybaby Mercy threads haha

Sorry if it seems like I’m spamming, it’s just I spent a good 20 mins on this post and to see it originally buried and ignored was disappointing. :grin:

It probably wasn’t getting any bites, but it goes to show how much players don’t care about Symmetra as whole and the developers makes it seem that way with her newest buff.

I don’t think it was that, I literally saw my thread be buried by the typical daily “mercy revert pls!!111!!!11!!!” threads.

Could be a coincidence, but it still goes to shwo Mercy priorities is over the community eyes than Symmetra as whole. However with the little feedback to none we get back from moderators or developers. Some players probably given up on the cause. It reminds me of the worgen model thread case on WoW forums.

All developers seem to be awful quiet on the forums at the moment regarding all issues, not just certain heroes.
It’s a shame.

Great post friend! I would like her primary fire to just ramp up more quickly per tier:

like…
2s to get to 120
1.5s to get to 180.

or… OR i say… PIERCE! Put the pierce on left click and keep the damage as low as it is now, suddenly she can damage multiple people OR drain a barrier!!!

So no piercing through barriers, but catch a few in a narrow hall and your low damage is doubled!:wink:

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:
I too would like the ramp up to be quicker, but I find the ramp up between tier 1 and tier 2 to be the one that is too slow and clunky.

As for the piercing idea, absolute yes!

Primary Fire:
Needs love, perfect addition would be a bolstering of shields, much like Doomfist experiences now with his successful attacks. This would allow for longevity in the thick of battle, and allow her to actually survive to continue using the beam. What end result level would be, I’m not certain. 300 feels about right though. (Total health/shield pool of 300, not 300 additional to the 100/100 she has now, but 100/200)

Secondary Fire:
Speed up projectile, other than that it’s fine. 30m/s would put it in a perfect spot. Still slow enough to dodge at range, but not so easy to dodge just past 15m.

Teleporter:
Reduce deployment time by half, remove timeout mechanic. It stays up until it’s destroyed, or you place another. If destroyed, cooldown timer of 8-12 seconds is put into play. If placed before destroyed, no cooldown. (Or, a reduction based on amount of damage dealt to TP to keep it fair) Open for tweaking here.

Turrets:
3 turrets feels good, initially I thought 4 would be best, but now that I’ve played her a considerable amount of time, 3 is pretty good. I would reduce the turret generation to 8sec per turret, OR allow for 6 turrets to be held in inventory with only 3 capable of being deployed at any time. This way, you’ll always have turrets to deploy unless you’ve poorly chosen your placement spots. No other changes would need to be made to turret health, damage or range.

Photon Barrier:
Leave it as it is now, but add detrimental stacking slowing effect on crossing barrier. This only effects characters that walk through it, not those who can blink/fade through it.

2 Likes

I think, if Sym gets buffed, the buffs should be targeted to making her better in competitive with a good team specifically, because she can already pub stomp pretty hard now. The real place she suffers is in competitive against strong teams with good coordination.

I think the changes I suggested above would actually be perfect for what you’re requesting, honestly.

I mean, maybe like one of them. If all of that went in, Sym would be wildly, ridiculously overpowered.

Which part do you think would be overpowered in conjunction with which other part?

I can understand the turret/teleporter interaction concern. Allowing her to throw 2 “turret bombs” back to back would be overpowered, and until you brought it up I hadn’t even thought about that possibility. So yeah, that would need to be changed. I’d say just leave 3, but 8 sec recycle time instead of 10 like now.

I think the combination of all of it would just give her too much overall power, particularly in QP or in low rank. I mean, I fairly reliably do well with her in QP now, often taking the gold elims/damage from high damage heroes like Hanzo and Junkrat. If she was improved pretty much all across the board (in particular the shield buff is a big one) she might become an unstoppable pub stomping machine.

The shield buff wouldn’t make her much more powerful than she was previous to the rework. She had 275 effective hp with shield gen. She had a lock on beam then, with all those extra hp, a personal shield, and still got wrecked.

I don’t think adding an additional 25 shields on top of that, that in order to fill up you have to deal damage, is asking for too much. It would work much like the Doomfist mechanic does currently, it would slowly fade over time until the default 100/100 was reached, and would need to be rebuilt by dealing damage with primary attack.

Rather than having a beam, Sym needs a flash light that she can temporarily dazzle characters with, making her harder to hit. This needs to be invented.

Well, except for the better turrets, the better secondary fire, not having to set the shield generator up, generating more shields during the fight, and still getting to have an ult on top of it.