Symmetra’s Arm/Glove?

So Symmetra’s Glove/Arm…confuses me. In a 2016 interview at Blizzcon Michael Chu did say that Symmetra does not have a left arm. There is a lot of evidence against it though which is why I don’t understand. Like her Vishkar and Architect skin you can see her fingertips with a slim fit Glove. She also wears her Vishkar fit in the comic while also changing to her classic skin. I’ve seen promotional art where she has both arms. One of her sprays even says “Glove.” Am I missing something? Did they change the lore since then, or was it a mistake? Or perhaps I’m over analyzing? What does everyone else think? Thanks for reading! :pray:(Before everyone says she doesn’t have an arm because of Magican skin just know anniversary has no theme)

2 Likes

The only theories I can think of are:

1. The finger tips are really prosthetics that look like human skin. (Plenty of prosthetics try to blend in nowadays).
  2. Could be a time warped skin similar to “Young” skins for Genji, Hanzo and Ana. Although I don’t think this is likely since she appears the same in terms of her face.

Personally I’m going with theory #1.
It would be cool to see a young Symmetra with both her arms in-tacked to build the story of how she lost it n the first place. :thinking:

4 Likes

And in universe too. Doomfist’s arm in Doomfist Origins (the one he punches through his concrete cell with) is prosthetic, but looks rather lifelike.

5 Likes

It was stated by Michael Chu that she was an amputee.

There is the possibility that she chose to cut her own arm to get a prostetic one that is more suitable for her work with hardlight.

I feel that her Vishkar skin and Architecht are “younger” skins - hence she still had both hands.

7 Likes

I never thought of theory #1 thanks for the feedback I always thought it was either an arm because of what Michael said or a glove because all of the evidence for it but it seems like both haha just a prosthetic arm with a glove!

2 Likes

I thought the Vishkar skin was a pre Overwatch skin like young Genji and young Hanzo.

1 Like

We do see the skin in A Better World, except with a less human looking left arm.

2 Likes

The vishkar skin makes an appearance in a comic based when devolpmnet of Rio was just begining, current Overwatch is a good few years after that, OW 1 I mean.
So maybe she lost a fight during the protest and thought the manual hand glove wasn’t strong enough and went all out. Or she lost it during the protest. Ouch.

1 Like

Agreed, thats pretty damn dark too cutting off your arm for your corporation employer.

1 Like

Symmetra’s logic to perform her art at her finest may not be that weird for her. I mean, Ana had a cybernetic eye to be the best sniper so…

Ehancements and cybernetisation aren’t something that uncommon in the world of Overwatch.

Being a workahlic suckup who’s willing to do just about anything for your leader is quite a common theme in both fiction and reality-I’d just call it sad honestly

1 Like