Sym Could Have Been Made A Support

You can see in the Wrecking Ball beta footage a Symmetra setting up healing turrets

IDK why they can’t put this stuff on the PTR instead of just testing in their dev bubble and let the people decide what they prefer

I would love if her turrets provided ANTI-healing to the enemy team (maybe at 33.3% heal reduction per turret).

Better luck next time.

I would love if her turrets consistently applied slow
instead of ignoring certain abilities (I’m looking at you Genji and Doomfist)

Where can I find this footage?

4 Likes

She was suppose to be a non-healing support, but I think think that idea just wasn’t implemented welll; because every single skill she’s ever had has been so niche, useless half the time, and ranging from ok to good the rest of the time. Taken alone a lot of her abilities were ok, but combine them and half her skills couldn’t be used that often without being wasted.

Healing turrets never even made it to public testing, I think. They said it was too inconsistent, and felt pretty bad. Honestly, I could see that being the case if you think about it. After all turrets rely on your teammates going to them, can be destroyed, unlike other healers who have primary or alt fire, and then we get into how they choose who was healed when half the team is dying.

Originally, her on launch ‘E’ ability was to give an ally 50 (later nerfed to 25) shields permanently, until they died. That was situational, but ok. For some heroes that was nothing and didn’t help. But, then they had it nerfed because dive heroes like Tracer and Genji were a menace when they had that extra health.

Then we entered the Shield Gen and teleporter era. Neither was great, but neither was bad. They were still really situational. They both needed a team who could defend them and relied on your team being good enough to make use of them. The same build had barrier, which was honestly one of her better abilities because it was the only one she could use in almost any situation.

Now we have teleporter, which as it turns out, was a situational ultimate and is now an even more situational skill. It deploys slowly so it can’t be used to attack outside turret bombs. It has a short uptime, so you can’t place it in 2 locations as a shortcut for your team, because you’ll have to constantly refresh it just to have the potential that your team will use it. On top of all that, it’s still really buggy.

Finally shield wall. Which honestly, I don’t think is bad, but I don’t think it’s amazing either. I guess it’s less situational than the old teleporter, but it has a much higher margin for error as well and it relies more on what your teammates do.

So yeah, that’s quite the list. On their own, and with some tweaking I could see any of these working. But Sym had all of them at one point, and it just made her overall inconsistency worse. She’s all over the place and never did any one thing better than anyone else. For all the pining over Sym 2.0, half the time Mei was a better option on defense maps, and Mei was also pretty bad at the time.

Because it’s all unfinished and not meant for anyone outside of the devs to test. The PTR is for already finished products. It’s used to report bugs before hitting live.

1 Like

Honestly, she would have been a area denial/ zone control hero, I don’t know why anyone in forums doesn’t see what shes MOSTLY good at.

no… it was also good for forcing snipers and bastions to reposition in conjunction with her shield piercing orbs. Same with dealing with torb turret. And with hammond now in the game, it’d be good for wiping out hammond mines too. Not to mention cover from bob like with torb turret.

1 Like

This! A Shield Providing healer would’ve been great. I still think players should passively get 25shield hp when going through her Teleporter. Hopefully the next support will provide shields.

why woudl make her a support if she never was, gameplay wise?

make it a new hero or something but don’t touch symmetra anymore. She was played for what she originally was.

How about this: Instead of adding 25 shields, she replaced 100 hp with shields.

I’m actually glad she was moved to the dps slot, she was never considered a “real” support anyway and people would rage if you picked her as such in comp. That being said, she needs fixes. Badly.

1 Like

I feel like they could’ve made Sombra a support too. Not focusing on lots of damage and instead trying to hack specific targets, benefiting from the Health-kit/ult charge thing so she can be more of a team player.

How to make sym 2.0 a support in 2 steps.

1. Take Sym 2.0.
  2. Add passive: All allies and constructions within 20m range have half of their hp converted to shields and time for all shields to start recharging is reduced by 1 second.

ggez
evil sombra laughs
since she disables passives she could just revert those shields back to health after EMP instead of deleting them.

1 Like

I would much rather keep her current teleporter or her old shield over… This…

I didnt feel like finding the quote mainly due to too many things to look for since a cleanse ability is a popular idea, but they dont want to pursue a cleanse ability as since outside of Ana’s abilities there arent enough long lasting cc and would really only serve to counter Ana and they dont want to do that

Can you provide me a link of this? I didnt know it existed, and I’d love to see it

I’m not sure where the link is, but you don’t see her set them up. IIRC WB goes into the small room with the mini on Numbanis 3rd point and you see them all attach their beams to him with little blue plus (healing) symbols filling the screen. They didn’t actually seem like they healed him, it looked more like they each added shield hp and possibly constantly regenerated said shield hp.

As a Symmetra main since season 5, I had opinions on how to make her feel more like a proper and unique support hero with respectable functionality.

She already had an unconventional ultimate, so I figured she should completely function on different rules for ultimate. her Ultimate slot would effectively be an ability

• She starts the match with her ultimate (Shield gen/TP).
  • Her ultimates only last 30 seconds, but the cost for a new one is 500 points (was 1,000)
  • Shield Gen gives 75 BARRIER TYPE hp. Meaning it denies ultimate charge for enemy teams, so although she doesn’t mitigate as much damage, she swings the ult economy in your favor by a large margain
  • TP Only 2 charges, and gains 1 more every 15 seconds, but self detonates after 30 seconds

Then as for her combat abilities

• Her auto-lock beam ramp would change from 30/60/120 to 50/75/100, and have 9-12 meters range instead of 7-9
  • The movement penalty she received when deploying a turret would be reduced by 50%
  • Photon Barrier ability cooldown would be reduced to 8 seconds

And lastly she’d have a passive that makes allied barriers regen at a rate of 10hps by being near her, even if active.

Utility support would have been so cool, but I can’t lie, I also really enjoy DPS Sym with ability teleporter

Short version; just play Moira.