Sym Could Have Been Made A Support

Im aware that this is late but when she got reworked instead of changing her to a dps they could have kept her as a proper support my ideas:

1: Her turrets heal - with only 3 turrets still but she has to place them like she had to and a bit more hp on them
2: her ult stays shield gen but within a certain range it increases the movement speed or cc is reduced so instead of slept for 5.5 seconds it say 4 seconds just reducing cc
3: her e spits out a ball of blue healing juice that primarily heals shields on a fairly long cooldown but when there are no shields to heal it explodes damaging nearby oponentes dependent on how much healing juice is left in the ball at a max of 50 damage but it has to heal to explode
4: her secondary is replaced with a anti cc if a teammate has been ccā€™d they secondary removes the cc

Please feedback :slight_smile: as ive never done something like this before there will be bad stuff :slight_smile: thanks for reading

6 Likes

I believe they stated they tried this initially but was too awkward of a playstyle

13 Likes

They tied healing turrets and stated they didnā€™t work.

With Symmetraā€™s short range and lack of defensive options (I played Symmetra, Photon barrier e ability was only good for advancing on a choke/1 time get-out-of-jail play) removing her offensive turret options would make her worse.

2 Likes

True, but that doesnā€™t mean they couldnā€™t of given her some other sort of healing utility.

They tried the sentry healing, but it was pretty meh.

I kind of agreeā€¦ What made Symm unique as a support was she provided shield HP, not any actual health.

If they made it so she could heal shield HP and provide an over-heal effect of decaying shield HP from her Primary and Secondary Fire, the duality of it would have made her a pretty interesting off-healer.

But they didnā€™tā€¦ Honestly, while the idea sits in my head as pretty cool, I adore that 3.0 is an actual builder.

3 Likes

You can see in the Wrecking Ball beta footage a Symmetra setting up healing turrets

IDK why they canā€™t put this stuff on the PTR instead of just testing in their dev bubble and let the people decide what they prefer

I would love if her turrets provided ANTI-healing to the enemy team (maybe at 33.3% heal reduction per turret).

Better luck next time.

I would love if her turrets consistently applied slow
instead of ignoring certain abilities (Iā€™m looking at you Genji and Doomfist)

Where can I find this footage?

4 Likes

She was suppose to be a non-healing support, but I think think that idea just wasnā€™t implemented welll; because every single skill sheā€™s ever had has been so niche, useless half the time, and ranging from ok to good the rest of the time. Taken alone a lot of her abilities were ok, but combine them and half her skills couldnā€™t be used that often without being wasted.

Healing turrets never even made it to public testing, I think. They said it was too inconsistent, and felt pretty bad. Honestly, I could see that being the case if you think about it. After all turrets rely on your teammates going to them, can be destroyed, unlike other healers who have primary or alt fire, and then we get into how they choose who was healed when half the team is dying.

Originally, her on launch ā€˜Eā€™ ability was to give an ally 50 (later nerfed to 25) shields permanently, until they died. That was situational, but ok. For some heroes that was nothing and didnā€™t help. But, then they had it nerfed because dive heroes like Tracer and Genji were a menace when they had that extra health.

Then we entered the Shield Gen and teleporter era. Neither was great, but neither was bad. They were still really situational. They both needed a team who could defend them and relied on your team being good enough to make use of them. The same build had barrier, which was honestly one of her better abilities because it was the only one she could use in almost any situation.

Now we have teleporter, which as it turns out, was a situational ultimate and is now an even more situational skill. It deploys slowly so it canā€™t be used to attack outside turret bombs. It has a short uptime, so you canā€™t place it in 2 locations as a shortcut for your team, because youā€™ll have to constantly refresh it just to have the potential that your team will use it. On top of all that, itā€™s still really buggy.

Finally shield wall. Which honestly, I donā€™t think is bad, but I donā€™t think itā€™s amazing either. I guess itā€™s less situational than the old teleporter, but it has a much higher margin for error as well and it relies more on what your teammates do.

So yeah, thatā€™s quite the list. On their own, and with some tweaking I could see any of these working. But Sym had all of them at one point, and it just made her overall inconsistency worse. Sheā€™s all over the place and never did any one thing better than anyone else. For all the pining over Sym 2.0, half the time Mei was a better option on defense maps, and Mei was also pretty bad at the time.

Because itā€™s all unfinished and not meant for anyone outside of the devs to test. The PTR is for already finished products. Itā€™s used to report bugs before hitting live.

1 Like

Honestly, she would have been a area denial/ zone control hero, I donā€™t know why anyone in forums doesnā€™t see what shes MOSTLY good at.

noā€¦ it was also good for forcing snipers and bastions to reposition in conjunction with her shield piercing orbs. Same with dealing with torb turret. And with hammond now in the game, itā€™d be good for wiping out hammond mines too. Not to mention cover from bob like with torb turret.

1 Like

This! A Shield Providing healer wouldā€™ve been great. I still think players should passively get 25shield hp when going through her Teleporter. Hopefully the next support will provide shields.

why woudl make her a support if she never was, gameplay wise?

make it a new hero or something but donā€™t touch symmetra anymore. She was played for what she originally was.

How about this: Instead of adding 25 shields, she replaced 100 hp with shields.

Iā€™m actually glad she was moved to the dps slot, she was never considered a ā€œrealā€ support anyway and people would rage if you picked her as such in comp. That being said, she needs fixes. Badly.

1 Like

I feel like they couldā€™ve made Sombra a support too. Not focusing on lots of damage and instead trying to hack specific targets, benefiting from the Health-kit/ult charge thing so she can be more of a team player.

How to make sym 2.0 a support in 2 steps.

1. Take Sym 2.0.
  2. Add passive: All allies and constructions within 20m range have half of their hp converted to shields and time for all shields to start recharging is reduced by 1 second.

ggez
evil sombra laughs
since she disables passives she could just revert those shields back to health after EMP instead of deleting them.

1 Like