In what world do you win?
Let’s assume a perfect scenario:
- 10m starting range
- Winston doesn’t use bubble ever
- Winston doesn’t use leap ever
- Winston doesn’t use melee ever
Forward movespeed: 5.5 m/s
Backward movespeed: 4.4 m/s (20% penalty)
Winston range: 8 m
Symmetra range: 10 m
Symmetra therefor gets a headstart of 1.82 seconds.
Symmetra’s damage comes in ticks of 6/12/18 dmg at a rate of 10 ticks / second.
After armor, this is reduced to 3/7/13 dmg at a rate of 10 ticks / second.
So by the time Winston starts hitting her, he already lost 3 x 10 x 1.82 = 54.54 armor. We will use this as the actual starting point. We no longer have to consider Sym’s headstart or movespeed, just her current charge level.
Winston starts the fight at 400 HP + 45.45 Armor.
Symmetra starts the fight at 200 HP and 0.18 sec left before level 2 beam.
Winston would then kill Symmetra in only 3.33 seconds so the question is: can Symmetra kill him in time?
0.18 seconds at beam level 1: 3 x 10 x 0.18 = 5.45 dmg
Winston = 400 HP + 40 Armor
0.57 seconds at beam level 2: 7 x 10 x 0.57 = 40 dmg
Winston = 400 HP
1.43 seconds at beam level 2: 12 x 10 x 1.43 = 171.60 dmg
Winston = 228.40 HP
1.27 seconds at beam level 3: 18 x 10 x 1.27 = 228.40 dmg
That took 3.45 seconds… in a perfect scenario where Winston literally doesn’t even try to use his abilities, he still beats Sym with 22 HP.
- Add the fact Winston will usually start with 40-75 damage as he lands
- Add the fact that if he uses bubble when he lands, he can actually shorten some of the 2 m gap undamaged increasing his advantage
- Add the fact Winston quick melee effectively reduces Symmetra’s HP to 170-180 depending on how precisely he uses it as a finisher
In comparison, using Orbs instead of Beam leads to:
Orb 1: 115 dmg
Winston = 385 HP
Orb 2: 120 dmg
Winston = 265 HP
Orb 3: 120 dmg
Winston = 145 HP
Orb 4: 120 dmg
Winston = 25 HP
Quick melee: 30 dmg
This comes in at 3 seconds if you actually land an Orb as he lands 10 m away (still assuming a perfect scenario where he doesn’t land on you or block the Orb with Barrier - aka never). If Winston uses melee as a finisher, he only requires about 2.83-3.00 seconds to kill you once he makes it to 8 m range.
In almost every situation, Orbs come out on top simply because they deal a steady, reliable 120 dps with 60 splash. Beam is just nearly useless.
What if Winston decides to do a 180 and run away while you are in his heavenly 8-10 m dead zone?
- He runs forwards at 5.5 m/s
- You run backwards at 4.4m/s
- Once he turns around, you are effectively distancing eachother by 9.9 m/s until you switch to running forwards
- Best case scenario he turns around at exactly 8 m, leaving you with 202 ms to react and move forward, else he is out of range
How did Sym 2.0 fare?
- vs HP: 30-60-120 dps
- vs AR: 15-30-86 dps
- 120 / 7 = 17.14 dps / round
- -5 dps / round from armor
- 12.14 * 7 = 84.98 dps after armor
- 3.28 sec to remove 100 AR: 30 + 60 + 1.28 x 86 = 200 HP or 100 AR
- 3.33 sec to remove 400 HP: 120 x 3.33 = 400 HP
- 6.61 sec total
Orb + Beam
- Landing a full dmg Orb as Winston lands was super effective
- vs HP: 125 dmg
- vs AR: 120 dmg
- Winston starts the fight at 380 HP
- 4.42 sec to remove 380 HP: 30 + 60 + 2.42 x 120 = 380 HP
- 4.42 sec total
- 3.33 sec to remove 200 HP
- 4.58 sec to remove 275 HP (SG)
- 7.08 sec to remove 275 HP + 75 AR (SG + Torb)
- Can deal up to 45 dmg on landing
- Removes 0.75 sec of Tesla gun from previous calculated times
- Can deal 30 dmg on melee hits
- Removes 0.50 sec of Tesla gun from previous calculated times
Sym 2.0 vs Winston
- Much more dynamic fight
- Without SG, the fight was clearly in favor of Winston where even landing an Orb doesn’t beat 3.33 sec (2.08 sec if Winston lands perfectly)
- With SG, the fight was slightly in favor of Symmetra as long as she lands an Orb, but Winston could counter that by landing perfectly
- With SG + Torb, Symmetra would almost surely win any duel
- Overall, individual skills had much more impact, especially if Sym had SG up.