Switch performance

I had just started playing the switch playform today and the performance was disgusting to say the least and needs alot of fixing. I spent over 5 minutes as Ana waiting for my teammates player models to load in, my enemies to load in while not being able to see who needed healing and I loaded into the game only 3 seconds before the match started. It needs fixing ASAP

3 Likes

Yeah, very inconsistent for me. Sometime, it would load in a few seconds. Other times, it would take almost a minute. Either way, I started every game without any models loaded. Oh and the high ping in Australia - unplayable.

Which switch mode are you playing in?

I find handheld is a lot more consistent. I think this is because pixels are stretched to fit TVs/Monitors instead of generating more.

I haven’t had the long load times that you’ve had but I have had some player models disappearing. However this isn’t exclusive to Switch and I get the same problem on PS4.

1 Like

I also find that some maps run worse than others. I have no problems with docked Nepal but Paris is horrible.

It’s pretty glaring that the Switch version of the game is prioritising quality over performance (seeing as when there are four ultimates on screen or a busy team fight happening, the resolution almost never attempts to drop at all).

That tells me that there definitely are some corners to cut and breathing room for adjustment. In my opinion, the game could stand to lose quality rendering the environment for a framerate boost.

I’ve contacted a GM on this and got a response saying they’ll definitely make console-specific adjustments in the future.

This framerate is fine for me on handheld and docked and it won’t kill the game for me, but at the very least I either want performance/quality options or a consistent framerate lock 100% of the time.

Only time, patches and the patience of a saint will tell.

1 Like

I have had a few odd things happen, but nothing really serious. The game has mostly worked fine for me so far. Of course, I haven’t played every map yet. The original maps that shipped with the game seem to perform better than the ones that were added later.

I play both docked and undocked, near and far from my router and its always the same, loading into games seconds before it starts and no models loading in until im halfway through the game, the way it is for Australians the first round of any comp game will be very one sided to who manges to load in first

1 Like

LMAO!

I’m in Europe at the moment but i’ve heard from other Aussies that ping can be 220 because there’s no Australian server for the switch :confused:

Must be the lack of aussie servers thats screwing us over, because from what I hear all the Australians are suffering.

I’m having this problem in Brazil. On PS4 my ping is 20~30. On Switch at least 200

I found that moving the game to the internal storage makes the models load some 4x faster than it used to than having Overwatch on a micro SD card.

All first person character models load in about 2 seconds from spawn and everyone else loads shortly after, compared to the 10 seconds it took before.

That’s definitely true, the internal memory is measurably faster than the SD card, though for most games you don’t notice it too much (Most games don’t dynamically load assets during gameplay to the same degree though)

Are you certain you’re actually on the right DC? There’s a bug in the known issues that causes players to always connect to the NA datacenter when the system wakes up after being put to sleep while playing.