"Supports shouldn't be 50/50 vs DPS"

When I read your reply Brig came to my mind.

I don’t know, but I think maybe supports are not supposed to be brawly characters. They should be squishes, but mobile if mid ranged or slower, but in possession of threatening debuffs, if long ranged. Brig doesn’t fit here. Being a brawly character means she can resist damage and therefore contest/deny space-taking from enemies which contributes to driving them away for way too long time and contributes to point/space holding which is very favorable in a objective based game, almost like working as a third tank that can CC and deny too much efforts. Although she’s not that much brawly anymore, she got a passive style for a hero with a melee weapon, waiting enemies to come to you rather than actively going to them, which is an odd and not appealing design for many people since they prefer to play active characters that can interact with enemies rather than wait their moves and rely on your teammates that have more agency to interact with them.

I don’t know if you get what I mean or I can explain well enough what I thought and meant.

The terrible thing is Blizzard likes to basically blur the lines of roles. A high mobile base for weak squishier supports would be fine if Blizzard also didn’t give that same thing to the flankers, same with threatening debuffs like stuns/hacks.

It’s really hard to balance when Blizzard poured the paint out onto the table and smeared it all over. I’m all for options but people can’t complain when they give it to all roles instead of just theirs.

I’d like to add something onto this. And what I’m going to say is going to come from having to hear so much about Baptiste’s damage potential as compared to Soldier 76.

First, the ability of a support to apply potential damage is vastly different than typical damage heroes. As was said very well here

But there’s something else too. Supports (and tanks) could have higher damage potential than any particular damage character and it would be hard-pressed to matter. Why? Because damage heroes have no obligation to spend most of their time mitigating someone else’s damage. Soldier 76 may have a healing pod, but he doesn’t have to sit there and hold it against someone’s forehead until they’re ready to fight again. Nobody ever thinks that Junkrat has to lead the team past a choke and “make space” for other people to operate.

Any non-damage hero’s theoretical or actual damage output, compared to any given damage hero, is completely irrelevant in any context. The damage output of a tank or support only matters in the context of them being able to perform their job.

Even if Bap actually had better potential damage output (he didn’t), he doesn’t have the ability to engage and disengage at will, and his loss puts the team at a much bigger disadvantage compared to Soldier getting sent back to spawn. DPS can afford to take risks and even be reckless in pursuit of a victory. That behavior from supports would be hard throwing.

Also, supports can top off teammates and still get a lot of ult charge off of throwing damage around, too. So I don’t get this severely low-bronze “take” where people are adamant that supports “shouldn’t be DPSing”. Yes, yes they should. Keeping two of your six-man team from firing on the enemy because it makes you feel small puts your team at a huge disadvantage in a dozen different ways.

2 Likes

By the same logic we should give DPS consistent self-heals and justify it by them not being able to heal teammates. If supports want not to rely on team for protection, dps (and tanks) should not have to rely on supports for sustain.

1 Like

Funny thing is you can report Supports for not healing but you can’t report Tanks and DPS for not protecting the support.

A bit one sided there.

1 Like

“Strength out of place is no strength at all” (I think that’s outta Diablo… :thinking:)

Damage heroes don’t necessarily do the most damage, they’re just able to apply the damage they can do better. This generally means better range or mobility to avoid going through the Tank/Damage line to strike at the weaker chars.

1 Like

Well you can report dps for not shooting at enemies.

1 Like

If they saw you being attacked and didn’t fire a single shot, report it :man_shrugging:t2: I think it’s a lot easier to see a support isn’t healing cos they’d have to ignore a lot of people that are actually in their line of sight or they’d have to be in front of everyone. Damage/Tank not peeling is harder to really show, and may actually be just oblivious players. I dunno if the tunnel vision/oblivious defence works for Supports refusing to heal :thinking:

Excellent because a lot of them don’t even turn around to attack the flankers.

That’s kind of the issue. It’s not that we don’t want our teammates to protect the support, it’s that 90%+ of the time they don’t. I can’t force them too either so unless I do it, it doesn’t get done. Like the payload.

Some do. Others have mobility, defensive abilities, etc to escape damaged and/or to get health packs :man_shrugging:t2:

He’s a troll, ignore him.

1 Like

i literally said that it would probably be very unpopular…

not really, since your still down a man and they aren’t, and just because they used something like an ult winning cooldown at the cost of a man down if you don’t have actual follow up ults to captialize its a lost fight 9 times out of 10

supports have both so I don’t see how that argument works

where is your second support, should you report them for not turning around?

In a 1v1, regardless of what role or character you are playing, the more skilled player should win.

If I’m Ana and I sleep dart you and then nade combo you/ call for a peel to finish you off, tough luck, you decided to jump into a terrible position in our backline. If I am zen and I headshot you, tough luck. If I am mercy and fly away, if I am Moria and fade away, if I am lucio and I speed away, tough luck.

I was chased down by a D.Va as Mercy but danced around her and destroyed her mech. Clearly Mercy is as good as a tank and needs heavy nerfs lol

They don’t. If the healers dont heal everyone dies

They lack the ability to apply their damage in a meaningful way and make plays like Damage heroes can. This is typically mobility, range, burst related. Soldier/Ashe/Reaper/Genji flanking or taking an aggressive angle would get a Support run down but these heroes have the mobility to get in place in a timely manner, or the range/lethality to make it work and/or escape if it goes to crap.

2 Likes

God I hate when my Dva fusion ticklers get outta sync with the enemy spamming AD/crouch :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: they just perfect move around just outta with the shots and you somehow to zero damage sometimes :man_facepalming:t2:

After rereading this, it seems like my Dva based rage also makes me practically incomprehensible :sweat_smile:

1 Like