But what do you expect? I appreciate the continued support this game receives. I definitely don’t excuse this event. It is a letdown. But more content is more content. in the grand scheme of things I’m happy
I never personally liked Lucio Ball. I think the idea is creative but the gameplay is frustrating and jank. after the last 2 years adding new maps to the mode, this year we did not get a new map. However Wrecking Ball is now literally the ball in Lucio Ball and got a skin to go along with that. It’s… charming. Adds a little magic to the game, but doesn’t fix it’s problems.
The new skins are great if you ask me. Surf ‘n’ Splash Torbjorn is my favorite, his Dollar-Tree plastic beach toys aesthetic is really cool and makes for a really creative skin. Definitely gonna aim to unlock this one.
On the other end, Wave Hanzo might be my least favorite Hanzo skin ever. Something about it feels off-putting and I can’t figure out what it is. But I do know one thing, it’s rather simple and generally unappealing.
We then have the Weekly Challenges. this is an excellent change to the format and really good for my sanity because the Arcade has been on a consistent decline in quality IMO and being able to earn rewards through QP is a lot more fun to me
Some minor details worth mentioning:
- I love Orisa’s Dressage emote. Any emote that goes on forever is really fun to me
- I love that the weekly challenge sprays are available to equip on all heroes.
- The patch coinciding with the event is minimal, but Subtitles are really cool and have been interesting to play with so far
- Even if the mode is dull, I like seeing arcade competitive modes return. it’s an opportunity to earn gold weapons without trying as hard
And on the negative side of things:
- Lucio Ball isn’t modifiable in the Workshop which is a letdown
- Once again, Lucio Ball and Copa Lucio Ball are occupying 2 slots which they should not be. the Arcade is already suffering in the games current state, and this is just hurting it more. Put the 2 under 1 drop menu and give us 4 modes on rotation for the event please!
- I know a balance patch is likely hitting the PTR this thursday, likely to coincide with a 2-2-2 overhaul to the game, but I’m still a little sad to not see progress in this patch.
+Charming addition to Lucio Ball
+Weekly challenges are nothing but a good thing
-Not enough content to be exciting
-Lucio Ball continues to be a dull, and janky mode
-Arcade is still greatly troubled and this event just makes it worse
-Repeat of last year with very minimal improvements