Suitable CPU + GPU For 240hz?

Hi kinda of a noob at computer stuff here.

Was wondering what the minimum types of cpu + gpu would be suitable for running OW at a constant 240+ FPS on a 240hz 1080p monitor at low settings. I’m asking for what cpu or gpu may be the minimum requirement because they typically cost less, and I want to save money. Thanks in advance.

Also, I’m not looking for responses saying “what’s the point” or “why are you wasting your money”.

1 Like

No idea. But that’s some crazy money right there.

I didn’t even know they made 240hrz monitors yet.

Just a 144hz monitor on sale is like $400

I’ve heard the OWL computers have a 1080TI and i7 7700k but still can’t maintain 240Hz. Not sure which graphical settings they use though.

2 Likes

Its definitely not a waste of money for 240hz.
But if you’re going with something like this id recommend just going with the best of like everything.

1080ti & like a i7 8086k should do fine.

1 Like

With an i7-6700 and a GTX 1070 you should be fine.

1 Like

144hz monitors aren’t that expensive. My friend bought his for $250.

1 Like

Depends on the quality and the features. You can get 144hz for as low as like 120 dollars i think lol.

When getting into really high fps your CPU becomes a huge bottle neck. I have a 240hz monitor, 1080ti, and 6700k OC @4.6ghz and can’t maintain 240fps steady. I’m going to upgrade to 9900k here in a month or so and hope that will put me at a steady 240. If you want to buy right now I’d go with the best CPU you can get and at least a GTX1080.

3 Likes

ok thanks for the helpful info.

Just curious, but are you still living in 2016?

3 Likes

Yeah probably, my last upgrade was a laptop.

1050gtx, i7, 16gb, ssd

But my monitor is an old Benq I bought for $50 from a gaming cafe that shut down.

To answer that you need to understand the difference between min, average, and max frame rates.

First, and foremost, Yes you can run 240hz, but without screen tear you need to sustain 238 fps (unless you have G-Sync or FreeSync)

Second, do you need to run 238 FPS no, you don’t. It’s medically proven that the average person can see up to 150 fps give or take depending on variables.

Ideal setup: 120hz @ 120 fps with G-Sync or Freesync

Problem: Server Tick Rate is a problem as it’s set to 60-64hz at best, unless Bliz changed it without telling people. Ideally you want server tick rates of 120hz and despite blizzard more than having the funding to implement it decided to be cheap and not do so. What happens when you die around a corner but could swear you were not visible to the enemy (You can thank 60hz server tick rate at any FPS higher than 60 for that)

So you have to make a decision.

1. Do you not care about server tick rate as much as Blizzard should?
    If Yes: Then stick with 60 fps cap with G-Sync or FreeSync
    If No: Then 120hz @ 120 fps cap… with G-Sync or Freesync… Have a coke and a smile

If I don’t care about server tick rates or the human eye’s ability to see over 150 fps: Then 240hz 238 FPS minimum or 240hz with GSync or Freesync with 240 fps cap.

You won’t need much in the way of hardware to accomplish either of those goals. But to give you an idea of hardware:

I run consistently 260 FPS minimum (it does fluctuate up to 300+ at times) Game max fps caps at 300.

i7-5930K OC’d 4.3ghz
GTX 980 Ti
32GB of Ram
EVO 970 SSD M.2 (This does not effect FPS only load times and file transfer speeds)

They claim it’s untrue but I am convinced ppl like yourself are stuck in low SR due to Hardware.

FANKDA did not go to PC from Console to dominate while using inferior Hardware.

Which is WHY I wish Blizzard would just support the M+KB on PS4 & get it over w/ alrdy.

What is more FAIR than playing on Console separating M+KB from Controller Game Modes? Nothing.

No Hardware Advantages or Disadvantages.
I don’t need 240fps gaming. I just need the M+KB support like everyone else.

240hz is not a waste, and prices have fallen making them viable.

I have heard claims that people push over 240fps with 1060’s and 1070’s but I personally cannot vouch for this.

I would think you need a 1080 to run at 1080p low settings at 240fps.
1080 ti would be safer.

Also OW is not as gpu intensive as other games make sure your cpu will not bottleneck.

Server tick rate has literally nothing to do with framerate.

2 Likes

Just like the human eye can’t see over 30fps too right?

OP if you want to listen to this guy, then I have no further help to offer.

But this person doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Nor does he comprehend what I actually said.

2 Likes

Just go to this site, it will ask to select a game and a few parts from a list and then the results show fps and prices. My cousins business uses it all the time.

Search Google for userbenchmark to get the website.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll see how it works out. thanks for the share.

Unrelated to what I said.

By all means feel free to enlighten me, because what you said makes very little sense. Frame rate is a concept on client side, and is an interpolation of the client’s game state. The server tick rate has literally nothing to do with this. It’s all to do with latency, hitboxes, etc.

1 Like