Suggestion for SR gain/loss

I think Kio misspoke. PBSR adjustment is based on how you perform relative to other players on that hero, near your SR. What factors exactly are used isn’t known, but it’s not the same as the medals and is likely the per-10-minutes stats.

If you need to switch, then switch. PBSR is a small adjustment. It includes all of your play, you won’t lose the record of your ‘hot’ hero. Most importantly, PBSR reduces the SR you lose on a loss and increases the SR that you gain on a win… but you still lose SR on a loss and gain SR on a win, no matter how good your PBSR adjustment is.

Winning the match is always better than losing it. Switch when it’s right to switch.

Are you 100% sure about this? I thought this was the case but have noticed something different lately. I was popping off as hanzo and notice one of the heals swapped to DPS without saying anything. I swapped to mercy and while I never got on fire I did a pretty good job healing with her.

We lost the match and I ended up losing 27 SR. Which is almost the max SR you can lose. My hanzo had a card for kill participation and got the POTG. It would seem I would loose less SR and feel if I stayed on hanzo I would have loss less.

No. Nobody’s 100% sure of anything when it comes to PBSR.

But what probably happens is that you get PBSR for all the time in game, so a decent adjustment for Hanzo and a moderate adjustment for Mercy in your case. Don’t forget there’s also an adjustment for your team’s MMR vs. their team’s MMR (and adjustments to that relationship depending on groups, if any), so there’s at least 3 factors there, not just win/loss base and PBSR.

I mean, if you had stayed on Hanzo maybe you would have done better, but remember cards & medals are relative to your team. PBSR is relative to the playerbase at your SR. It’s also a lot harder to excel as a DPS in a team with no healers (not as hard as being a tank with no healers, but y’know) so who knows. You might have been dead a lot with no healers, and that would count strongly against you.

In any case, you’re looking a couple of SR difference, but if you had turned the game around it would’ve been a 50-60 SR difference (ie., +27 SR instead of -27 would’ve been 54 SR difference) so it’s worth the try.

Edit: Oh, and apparently streak bonuses are back too so there’s ANOTHER factor.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/how-competitive-skill-rating-works-season-15/312507

Yeah I’d say you’re wrong there as well. Assuming the other 5 players on your team are as good as their Sr and the same holds true for the enemy team they sort of cancel each other out and if you are truly better than your Sr you have the most important rule in the whole match which is to tip the scales in your teams favour for that W. That is the whole premise of the system and why it works extremely well.

On topic though the suggestion for bonus sr would break the whole system unless you also punish players for not getting medals. The system is a closed system and giving our bonus points would just not work.

This is only somewhat true though. MMR / SR does not relate to game sense. A lot of time you get a galaxy of levels because it allows people that are level 25 to play with people that are 3k. Example: a person plays COD and is good at it. Locks soldier and is good at landing kills but has little to no game sense. He is now a carry for the team even though he can land kills. My guess is he will focus on tanks to farm ult then use ult at the wrong time.

If you are truly better than your SR the only way to truly tip the scale in a way that you control is to play a character that can carry. If you dont then you still rely on your team to make plays off you tipping the scale.

Im not saying you are wrong. Im saying the way the system works does not allow people to easily climb without swapping to a character to slog through low ranks. Once you get to plat people still suck but they at least communicate 8/10 times. Low gold / silver / bronze typically NO one talks and it’s just comes down to a battle of ults.