Sudden frame drops/freezing (different to other cases of frame drop)

Heya. So I have a pretty great gaming computer that is fully capable of running big AAA titles with high settings at high fps. Overwatch runs great 99% of the time with the fps capped at my monitor refresh rate of 164 hertz. The frame rate is pretty consistent. However, once in a while (about 3-4 times per game) the frames will just plummet, beyond what I would consider a normal frame drop. The entire game freezes up and I can only hear sound from what I was just doing (eg ig I was holding left click as Mei I hear Mei left click sound). The only way to solve it seems to be tabbing out and then back in, by which time I am most likely dead (especially since my character remains moving in the direction it was going before the frame drops). Any idea why this happens? It only started happening a couple of months ago.

Probably something running in the background or crashing/restarting in the background. Could also be overheating. Start with a DxDiag here.

DxDiag instructions (click to expand/collapse)
  1. Press Windows Key + R, then type DxDiag and press Enter.
  2. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  3. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.

If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can post it on Pastebin.com and provide the hash code (the numbers/letters after the .com) in your reply.

Hello and thanks for the quick reply. Here is the hash to PasteBin.

wisCrMXU

I recommend updating Windows before making other changes, since you’re a few versions behind. You’ll want to update your GPU drivers too. Other than that:

• Older Chroma SDK software causing issues.
  • The Razer Game Scanner service (can disable).
  • Dragon Center.exe – part of the MSI command center. Not sure what’s happening here.

Weird about the windows update. I updated my laptop yesterday, and when I scan for new updates it tells me it’s up to date. Anyways I uninstalled the old chroma software and dragoncenter. Thanks for the tips.