Sudden, consistent low fps and poor performance

My game was fine last night and now, it boots and immediately drops to a solid 12 fps and 180+ latency every time I launch now. It’s not my Internet and the problem is consisting even after I restart my computer, etc. i’ve changed no settings or done anything between this morning and when I last played. At this point I’m ready to try re-installing.

Any suggestions? I’d rather not have to re-install the entire game again.

8 Likes

seems like a lot of us are struggling with the same thing. my games been fine up until last night/this morning =_=

2 Likes

Unfortunately my friend is having a similar issue. Hopefully a patch comes soon

1 Like

Same issue… Ran fine all weekend and last week. There seemed to be a bnet update or something patch related to overwatch and now its unplayable.

1 Like

Is the correct GPU being used for Overwatch? What are your system specs? Can you post a DxDiag so we can help?

DxDiag instructions

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.

It won’t let me post because of the character limit, what specific info from the DxDiag do you need?

edit: I just went ahead and posted it all into a pastebin

https://pastebin.com/mrKQPgk7

I’ve just had the same thing happen. Overwatch sent through a small patch, about 50Mb, and now my frame rate is dropping horribly. The initial menu screen after login was dropping to 12fps. My GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070) is loading up to 100% in menus. Gameplay was dropping to under 30. This has to be a program error, as so many people have posted about this today.

2 Likes

:pensive: It must be. It’s very frustrating and I can only hope they catch onto this in a timely manner.

1 Like

It’s a bit of a pain that it’s happening on the last day of a competitive season, too.

1 Like

Try setting this back to 100%, it’s in the Display settings when you right-click the desktop.

Your GPU drivers are about 6 months out of date, so you’ll want to use Display Driver Uninstaller and then install the latest version for your card.

I’ve been seeing a lot of issues with the Steam Web Helper lately, so try closing Steam completely when playing to see if that helps.

Since this is the Public Test Build (beta), I think you should try running the game without Discord, or use the live/stable client.

Finally, system cooling can be a serious issue with this type of laptop. I highly recommend stress testing the computer with Heaven and monitoring temps for spikes with HWMonitor if none of the above helps resolve the issue.

Can you try installing the driver here?

For other’s having the same issue, please be sure to post a DxDiag report. When posting the DxDiag please format it by encasing it in a set of ~~~ like so:
~~~
DxDiag Contents
~~~

1 Like

An odd bug has started occuring for me today. Anytime that I am actively playing the game (IE have selected a character and spawned in the game), my framerate has suddenly taken a gigantic hit, hovering at around 15-20fps. This is also present in the hero select screen. Strangely, my framerate remains completely normal as it was previously when on the death screen or the spectator screen, running the game normally. It is only when I actively play a character that it drops to unplayable numbers. I am curious what the cause of this is, I assume it is related to the updates today as I have never had problems before and my computer far exceeds the requirements.

4 Likes

I’m beginning to think it’s on Overwatch’s end. This is exactly the problem I’ve had and it’s just sort of happened overnight and I’ve done everything I can on my end to try and fix it. I think the only thing we can do at this point is wait for it to be acknowledge and patched, idk.

2 Likes

Yep got the same problem here. Was running 200+ fps smooth the whole time, wanted to hop in for a game yesterday and my fps dropped to 40 when I played a character. Hope it gets fixed soon!

2 Likes

same for me from 200 fps to 30 fps

Same with me
First time ever
From 60-70 fps to 15 in game

same here. how many people need to complain about the same thing before they fix it? >_<

2 Likes

https:// pastebin. com/KVQzt6Pt
cant post links :thinking:

Happened to me too. From 180fps to 15.

I’m inclined to believe I’d have this issue earlier if these were the causes but I’ll get to work on these. Discord and Steam are both not open as far as I can tell. I make sure to kill any bg programs when I load the game.

@zhyxen - I downloaded the hotfix not long after I sent the Dx. It didn’t make any difference.