Stop Sexualizing Overwatch Rant

Good thing that the released story has no connection to the actual gameplay, right?

3 Likes

But in Overwatch, that is exactly the case. There are two characters whose sexual orientation we know and have confirmed. The rest have had no reveals and there are zero confirmed straight characters in Overwatch, thus any sexualizing only surrounds the two characters whose sexuality we know.

Wrong. There are plenty of characters where we can imply that they are at least bisexual, e.g. Widowmaker or Ana.

2 Likes

oh my god why do you freaks always focus on who we sleep with. why. pervs.

cant we just be gay in peace because there’s nothing inherent there that automatically means we’re havin sex. i’ve never done the deed and yet i can personally assure you i only like girls as a girl. why do you feel the need to focus on who we ‘do it with’ thats like me talking about sex with yall its gross and uncomfortable and we didnt have to talk about it. but you lot bring it up without fail.

21 Likes

Not really, considering three marriages and the progeny of two are at the forefront of some of the game’s lore. Reveals inherently have to happen for lgbt characters because most people are on the mindset of “straight until proven gay”. And even then, there was nothing implied sexual about 76’s reveal. Heck, 76 could be asexual as far as we know.

3 Likes

Exactly! Why is the effort of character story development being made such a point of importance while the game mechanics are clearly suffering. I mean you would think it’s obvious looking at how many times balance is mentioned in the forums?

1 Like

Personally, i think that’s a byproduct of religion.
People have been raised thinking it’s inherently bad, or evil if you will.
It’s hard to change someone’s view when their moral compass has eternalized it as something bad.

6 Likes

The writers don’t work on the game balance, and also, some people care about the story development. Looking at the success of the shorts, I would argue that the majority does.

1 Like

Haha sure! If that’s what you detracted from all of that. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Blizzard is a company, a company has a limited ammount of ressources. Instead of focusing the ressources on lore that upsets a lot of people, why not putting those into game development?

1 Like

Then let’s go ahead and pull most Disney movies from shelves since they depict romantic relationships. Also we have to wait until little Tommy is 18 before we tell him his parents are married

14 Likes

My sister and I are having a hard time trying to get my mom to not glare at us when we mention something innocent yet gay in front of my little brother. She’s religious (So is my sister) and very open minded, but she still thinks it’s somehow more sexual or something. Disappointed things are like this still

5 Likes

but like thats not my problem?? thats for them to deal with on their time. :nail_care:

i can call em dumb and mean if they decide to act on that because, as it happens, just because they were raised like that doesnt make it any less dumb and mean.

1 Like

so did you get this upset when it happened to Torbjorn, Mercy, Genji, Tracer, and Ana?

7 Likes

Because the majority of the people loves the lore. Overwatch is Overwatch because it also has appealing characters (and it’s also marketing, duh).

2 Likes

Well that would be what you said but I didn’t detract from it at all, what kind of sense does that sentence make?

Odd, at no point in any of this post or replies did I condemn anyone’s personal choice and in fact supported their choice. I just don’t see how it’s relevant to the game’s quality of life and enjoyment. Are you saying the characters have to be objectified in a sexual way for you to enjoy the game?

1 Like

I don’t think most of overwatchs revenue comes from the comics.
I do agree they are a nice flavour touch, but you don’t put amazing icing on a cake that is having issues, do you?

If the Overwatch team followed revenue as the only goal, we wouldn’t have the current monetization scheme.

1 Like

Because a. We’re gonna stop pandering to homophobes for fear of upsetting them and b. Writers are going to have almost nothing to do with game development past maybe writing some voicelines so it’s not an either/or situation

1 Like