SR gain/loss needs to be higher/lower depending on if the matchmaker favored your team for a win or loss

Yes, I know that. But we dunno the expected odds so for all we know it’s never that far apart. It’s not publicized info.

Any significant difference between teams is pretty rare outside of bronze/GM, which are the rank extremes with far less players. So the reason the difference is “a few measly points” is because the difference in rank is small.

Basically, the difference in the amount gained should balance out with the difference in win %. Let’s assume two teams ranks are fully accurate, and the better team is expected to win 2/3rds of the time. Then they should lose twice as many points as they win. This works out that them performing as expected, winning 2/3rds of the games, they stay at the same rank.

The reality is differences this large almost never happen.

Where is Kaawumba’s post about the matchmaker!

Overwatch uses an MMR system, like basically every other video game. Very similar to Elo from chess. Every player has a number (your MMR) that represents how good you are. Matchmaking is done by grouping players with as close of MMRs as possible. When you win your MMR goes up, lose and it goes down. Things like your team being favored, or the underdog, impacts just how much MMR you win/lose.

SR and the tiers are just a pretty way of attaching a rank to MMR ranges. Diamond is basically the 90th percentile of MMR, but saying you have 3000+ SR and giving you a diamond icon is more appealing than giving players a percentile.

1 Like

Right, we don’t know either way. What I do know though is that I’m pretty sure everyone can agree that in more games than they would like is someone, or more than one person on a team where you wonder how they even made it out off Bronze they play so horribly.

I focus on myself and where I can improve. When I focus on others my attention is divided and wasted on unneeded variables. I end up tilted that way. Play the game, worry about your performance, and then it won’t matter.

When you go into a game and see the average sr of both teams the one with the higher sr is slightly favored to win. It really is close to 50%. The longer someone waits though the more uneven it gets.

The sr gain and loss already takes this into account.

Most matches are 50/50. Only when playing at a low population day/time/rank/platform/region is this requirement relaxed. It is never relaxed more than 40/60. Read Groups and Matchmaking in Overwatch. Also note from that post that it is balanced: if a player is always in 40% matches, and wins 40% of the time, his SR won’t change.

This would be stupid. So Blizzard doesn’t do this. See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 13), especially the summary, to see how things are actually done.

1 Like

Because it’s a team game where more people than not are tossed random players to play with each game who affect your outcome, it’s hard not to be tilted by other players’ performance and not feel like you’re wasting time often, especially when you’re not a DPS prodigy who has the potential to truly carry by extreme headclicking.

If we all had the luxury of like a pro sports team, playing with the same 6 stack every match and growing together and having a bond, it’s a different story, but this is practically never the case for the majority. You have to deal with random teammate quality every game. It’s hard to be positive when you know you are doing well but there’s always one or two on your team who aren’t, and you wonder how the matchmaker determined these people belong on your team, or how they even got their rank.

But that’s assuming SR is truly tied to skill. That’s a long disputed argument and I’m still not sure which side I agree with due to there being obvious factors in determining a win or loss than just your own personal performance being a team game. I mean if you flip a coin, it can come up heads every time. If you play 50 games, chances are you can get carried in each one by better skilled teammates which artificially inflate your SR beyond where it “should” be.

It’s extremely likely people think the same thing about you some games. If someone’s a prodigy they’ll rank up. If someone’s flat awful compared to their tier they’ll rank down. The odds that anyone in your match is rated more than 500SR from how they’ll play is very low. The only real exceptions are smurfs, throwers, trolls, etc. Which suck but are a risk everyone is exposed to. Though I really do wish Bliz would take a harder stance vs stuff like this.

Ah, I see your problem. You think you’re held back by the matchmaker. Enjoy your rank. You’re worse than you think you are. It’s where you belong. Until you improve then you won’t climb. It’s that simple. Focus on yourself and build yourself up as you’re the only variable you have control over.

I legit agree with getting more sr but if the team looses they shouldn’t take a massive hit. A team winning that isnt expected to win is great. doesnt mean either team played bad it just means that team did better then expected and perhaps should have a higher SR then they should so they should get more SR. in that I agree completely.

As for people sucking on your team. no I legit get what your saying… spend a day in diamond and you’ll understand completely. Has a game it was a easy win just had to push the payload around the bend on route 66. At diamond/masters level our dps picked to run pharah into a cree widow. wouldnt swap… loss was completely on them not the team.

1 Like

oh ok, glad to hear it oh sanctimonious knowitall because you’re apparently angry my views don’t 100% align with yours. You know nothing about how I play any hero nor any skill I have with them. Don’t be a presumptuous tough guy, not a good look…

Ignore MsSysbit. He’s a low gold who thinks Bastion needs major buffs to turret mode.

I’m not angry. I emphasized the key word so you wouldn’t miss it. Take care. You’re just another one hear whining the game is rigged when reality has demonstrated it is far from.

Then there’s literally no reason to insult someone like you did having never played with them or even seen one pixel from their games unless you’re just a sour troll.

Where did I insult you? Nowhere. All I said is you’re not as great as you think you are. You think you’re better than your teammates; you’re not. They’re your equals.

Not relevant to the question you are asking though. Why should a machine try to determine your skill when all its doing is comparing numbers?

What determines a 50% win chance? The difference in the average sr between teams. The team with higher sr is slightly favored above 50% to win. You can try to make up and add more onto it but its nothing more than this.

You see your own games. IS the difference in average sr extreme? i doubt it being that you are in one of the most populated ranks in the game.

Player manipulation is what most of these topics are talking about. Players are boosted and throw. Their cousins friends brother was once GM so they played each others accounts and now a bronze is gold in an hour and GM is bronze in like 30 hours. This sort of thing goes on but has nothing to do with your rank or matchmaking or the game.

Its really about the average legit player experience. For some reason its leading you guys to always believe its the game and not just other players ruining your play experience.

If you play this game in a legit way you are the correct rank. Assuming you are not throwing or boosted you are the rank of your actual skill level.

I agree with you mizzerella to a point. Ive seen games where its 6 golds vs 4 golds and 2 plats. thats clearly not balanced. if the 6 golds win they should get more SR. period. they just beat 2 plats. clearly they are a little better then the game thinks.

Because it’s comparing numbers to attempt to determine skill (I hope)? What else is trying to determine then as the reason for its existence? If it’s not trying to determine skill then it’s useless.

It can’t/shouldn’t just assume SR as the be all end all. Something that makes more sense would be to also look at your win rate on your most played heroes plus the SR at the least.

I get what you are saying here even though that doesnt seem super extreme example. Ive truely seen a few wth screenshots of messed up team balance. They seem pretty rare.

The op is talking about getting more sr if you have less than 50% chance to win because his team mates are so bad. He has been all along.

Get your search on. Pretty much everything you want to know has been explained in dev posts.

But a couple of quick responses:

1. SR gains losses already are adjusted based on expected chance of winning.

2. Matches with win chances far from 50% are really rare (based on memory of reading aforementioned dev posts).