Spectator affecting backfill

Haven’t tried replicating in modes other than MH but I spectated a friend the other day for multiple matches and noticed two things that were odd/different from before:

1. Leavers on friendly team left slots that were never filled for the rest of the match (enemy team slots filled without issue)
  2. On match end, instead of continuing to spectate, placed into queue/match of my own

I thought it might be me being a spectator affecting the backfill for some reason and tested it today (MH, spectating the same friend) - when someone on the friendly team left, it stayed 5v6 for a while. When I left the game as a spectator, the slot was instantly filled.

I’m pretty sure this didn’t happen previously, so perhaps something changed with spectators?

Edit: Something else weird is happening where I try to spectate my friend but upon entering the match, I instead spectate the enemy team, but as a friendly team (as if I am spectating someone on that team and not my friend). Even after leaving and rejoining as a spectator it doesn’t allow me to spectate the correct team.

This has kind of happened before but it would only be for one person on the enemy team and they would still be enemy/red, and trying to switch would bring me back to my friend’s team/friendly team.

Leavers on the “enemy” team were affected by my spectating too (no backfill until I left).

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in that this is definitely still an issue. Spectators on a team will prevent backfill from ever happening in MH. If you have the spectator leave, the spot will instantly be filled. It’s regularly possible to end up in a situation where you are 5v6 or 4v6 because someone is spectating you or your teammates and it’s completely shutting down matchmaking.

I have also observed the same behavior describe above, where if you are spectating a game and you stay in until the next game starts, it will put you in a game instead of keeping you as a spectator. That’s quite annoying as well because if I’m spectating a friend and doing something else on my PC, the game will throw me into a lobby that I now have to quit out mid-game like a leaver, despite me never attempting to queue into a game, unless I quit out every time a match ends and start spectating again next game.

I haven’t seen anyone else talking about this really, but it’s quite a significant issue that simply having a spectator in MH completely breaks the backfill system and can literally ruin entire matches permanently if the spectator is AFK or refuses to leave a game.

I can confirm that this is still happening.

I would also like to add that spectating will automatically queue you for a match, after the spectated match ends. This is really annoying.

1 Like

This is still happening. Spectating friend and when the match ends it suddenly puts me in queue for a match. Why is there no blue reply when it’s been going on for so long?

2 Likes

Still a bug. Any time I’m spectating a friend in quick play and their lobby disbands, they are put back in a queue and I as a spectator am put in my own separate queue for a quick play game.

It doesn’t make sense for someone spectating friends to be placed in a queue to actually play. Please fix this!

1 Like