[SOLVED for RTX] Your rendering device has been lost

I was having this problem on my RTX 2080Ti Founder’s edition (Only for overwatch and for no other game) and after a number of chats with blizzard tech support over the past few days, they told me this is a TDR issue, which means the error is thrown by windows because the GPU stopped responding for a fraction of a second. they advised me to contact Nvidia.

I contacted Nvidia. They asked me to do the following and contact them if the issue still persists. here is what they’ve asked me to do :

Open NVIDIA control Panel (Right click on desktop and click on NVIDIA control panel) > Go to Manage 3D settings, under 3D Settings > select Program Settings > Select app/game from the dropdown menu > if it is not listed in the dropdown menu then click Add then select the respective .exe to the list (I was having problems with my Overwatch, so I selected Overwatch from the list) > And now change these settings from Option 2.

• Power management mode - prefer maximum performance
  • Tripple buffering - Off
  • Threaded optimization - ON
  • vertical Sync - off

Apply these settings, refresh the Desktop several times, start the game play and check the performance

I have played for an hour after making these changes and have not had a problem since. Will post an update if I encounter the problem again.

Hope this helps anyone facing similar issue.

3 Likes

Has it stopped the crashing? I have been experiencing the same crashing and have lost over 200 points from these crashes and bans from ranked that aren’t my fault.

Still no solution, I tried the above that OP posted but it hasn’t stopped the issues. For what it’s worth though I did gain 30-40 FPS.

It’s not just a problem with nvidia though, I had an RX 580 in my last build and on certain drivers, the game would just force close every time I went to play a ranked game

I thought the above fixed it for me, and although it most definitely reduced the occurrence of the issue, it still crashed on my recently with the same error. So it’s not completely gone and I still don’t know what to do. Only when downgrading to 4.11 does it stop crashing but then again, I’m not getting 1/2 of the FPS. Overwatch is the only game where I’ve seen this happening.

1 Like

I’ve been getting the same issue. Happens 1-2 times per day if i play for a few hours. Anyone with updates pertaining to this fix? I’ve tried setting these settings on Nvidia, and also tried resetting the game settings to no success. Any more commentary on this issue is appreciated!

My CPU is AMD Ryzen 1700 I into the BIOS set “Core Performance Boost” to AUTO(Previously overclocked it off status I set to AUTO) so I fix this problem.

When I set Core Performance Boost to OFF,this problem has appeared again.

Sorry my english so bad but I fix this problem so I want share solution.

Core performance Boost on ASUS motherboards should be Precision Boost + XFR and those are official features of the processor and you should be fine using them. Disabling them will make your processor quite a bit slower.

The Performance Enhancer though have Level 3 and Level 4 which definitely are OC levels but in my experience on earlier BIOS versions leaving it on “Auto” which is the default on the board resulted in PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive which is overclocking) according to Ryzen Master as well as higher core voltages. So that I’ve personally changed to “Default” which should mean “AMD default” and that turns of PBO and before resulted in lower voltage. However sadly with the latest 2202 BIOS version on my ASUS B450-F motherboard even using “Default” result in 1.4x voltage but as far as I know still no PBO in Ryzen master.

I don’t think your problem is caused by your choice there but I’d recommend you to change CPB back to “Auto” so you have PB + XFR functionality and your processor run at the best default and supported behavior it can.