So you can't play Overwatch 2 if you have Cricket Wireless

T-mobile → Physical simcard → new number
It should be free and atleast in the EU they cant tell prepaid numbers and paid service numbers apart.

Think the issue lies in the Esim, but from what I just schecked the physical simcard is free and then you can receive SMS on that number.

Same situation here. I have used Cricket Wireless for over 10 years, which includes all the years I played OW1. Now, apparently, we’re banned from playing OW2 because of our cell phone provider. So stupid.

5 Likes

I don’t mean to come here and rub salt in the wound, but are we sure its a problem with Cricket specifically? I’ve only ever had phone service through Cricket and I’m able to get into OW2 okay. Works for Warcraft as well where SMS authentication is required to edit posts in the in-game LFG tool.

There can’t be a way for them to just pick and choose which Cricket customers to let through, right?

It’s worse than that. We paid money for the game since the beginning. And now we can’t even play OW1 anymore. Until they address this problem, all we can do is change our cell phone carriers from Cricket to something else. Which is completely insane. Everyone should take to twitter and let these guys know how messed up this is.

4 Likes

if you could use prepaid/burners then cheating/griefing/smurfing would only be a penalty of how much said new service or phone costs and those people have money to burn

1 Like

Or Ryan Reynolds phone company “Mint” mobile in Canada.

They asked me for my phone payment plan. I gave it to them and then they said oh we still cant do anything even though it is a monthly plan. Completly BS

3 Likes

I posted in another thread about this, but it has to do with how recycled the number is. There might be some math that goes on under the hood to see how long someone has had the prepaid number for.

Here’s proof of my account using Cricket Wireless and working just fine:
https://imgur.com/a/1HdCsPP

1 Like

I have had the same phone number for 13 years… I don’t think it is only about number recycling

3 Likes

Its ridiculous that they allow this to happen. Not only did they open pre-purchase months before they mentioned the cell phone requirements. But did not even mentioning it til a couple days ago. Its a scummy move and I will be getting a refund and contacting the BBB. Its completely unacceptable for a company this large and wealthy to not have access for at the very least 15-20% of their playerbase use. And ontop of that. They remove access to the game we all bought and have hundreds of hours on. Do better Blizzard

5 Likes

I am having the same problem with this phone number requirement … in my case I cannot add my phone number because I need to change my accounts region and I tried several times to change it, and have no luck. I’m and sad that everyone is going to the same situation, hopefully as a community we can get blizzard to see that this is more o a problem then a solution because this will affect many players from playing the game again.

1 Like

I use a kind of obscure pre-paid called Twigby, pretty good rates… I’m able to play with no issues. Also, you can remove the number from 1 account and put it on another account, so smurfing/alt accounts aren’t dead (yet).

My girlfriend is having the exact same issue. I have ATT and can kinda play as servers allow, but she’s on Cricket and can’t get past the SMS requirement due to in being a “prepaid phone”. Is there anything we should be telling Cricket in order to fix it??

2 Likes

Seems the only thing you can tell Cricket in order to fix this is goodbye.

Not willing to do so myself. Would rather say goodbye to blizzard.

4 Likes

The primary target of prepaid phones are generally people with lower income. This is quite literally Blizzard telling you to get stuffed if you’re poor.

9 Likes

Almost no one in my country uses postpaid phones. Literally 97% of mobile users here are prepaid. This is so American-centric of a decision, it’s ridiculous.

They just gatekept countries like ours from playing the game. This is absurd.

4 Likes

I have Metro and it works for me. YOu may have just gotten an old pre-paid number from them

“lol, ur too poor to play our free gaem”
-Aaron Keller, probably

4 Likes

Just bought myself a burner sim for 1eur to get a new account(dont have access to the old one) dunno what smurf protection you’re talking about here.

1 Like

Same issue using cricket wireless I’ve had the phone for a while but maybe it was used as a prepaid before? I get the post-paid phone error. Honestly just feel like they just gave the bird to anyone who uses a cheaper phone option, because this issue wasn’t dealt with or planned for accordingly. I’d rather have the smurfs than be excluded for being budget conscience. I can’t even use another method like the authenticator app because of the phone number lock out. At this point how does anyone not feel completely disregarded as a valued fan or customer, if we even were.

5 Likes