So what WAS the problem with hide and rez?

After all this time, ive always seen “hide and rez” as the reason why mass rez was removed, but…

what exactly is the problem with hide and rez?
I play mercy a lot, never liked hide and rez and never found it to be a smart strategy. i literally dont see why it would warrant a whole rework in the first place.

43 Likes

Nope, me neither. Never even saw anyone doing it.

27 Likes

It goes something like this:

use ult to kill 4 people = good
use ult to bring 4 people back = bad

64 Likes

Precisely why all of us, mostly us Mercy mains, hated this rework and find it to be a failure.

Nobody wanted a new ult for her, NOBODY. We just wanted to them to tweak mass rez slightly to make it less annoying to fight against, and MAYBE give her an E ability. Nobody asked for a rework for her, but guess what?

Theyyyyy did it anyway.

And now all these sh*t is happening and who is to blame? Not gonna tell you the answer, you should know.

58 Likes

The problem was that people seem to think Mercy would sit in a corner twiddling her thumbs and let her whole team die for SR and POTG, when in reality hiding wasn’t even the most effective way to do it. It only really worked to counter extremely obvious ultimate combos

It was just a strategy that you could use if you so desired, but the most effective way to use mass rez was to be in the middle of the fight, and as your team died to Rez and you went.

Oh and a little coastal bird complaining so his cronies would flood the forums and Reddit with desire for a rework, because it made his super cool Q pressing need some thought.

38 Likes

yea i know all that, but why is that a problem at all? if somebody feels that this is an enjoayble gameplay for them, why not?

6 Likes

It wasn’t? If someone finds an effective way to play a hero that wasn’t expected I’d argue that’s good game design

4 Likes

it encouraged dying to get value out of mercy, which the devs didn’t like. “go die on the point ill Rez y’all” was a common phrase, and the devs didn’t like it.

16 Likes

Do you want me to pull out some streams/vids of people doing it in the past?

3 Likes

Because it had no counter play other than “kill da mercy”.
Almost all other ults have cast time and can fail or be blocked/countered

7 Likes

You have vids of me seeing people hiding and rezzing? Are you stalking me?

7 Likes

“I haven’t see it, so it never happened to the other people”

17 Likes

been playing mercy and i do agree that it wasn’t fun and a smart strat. but i heard it boosted the SR of many mercys? idk never did hide&rez. i did have team mate tell me quote and quote “Mercy, if you have rez just hide” at which point i told them, if i hid the entire team fight y’all die.

i think hide&rez was a meme that became overblown so much that i blurred what hide&rez really was. hide&rez to many especially mercy’s that hate that strat means hiding and letting your team die for a 5man rez. but i think the idea of just “hiding” blurred to many. for example if i know the enemy has an offensive ult that either i’m gonna be the prime target (e.g. dragonblade or riptire) or a team kill (dragonstrike/ grav) i’m gonna play it carefully and heal my team from a position i can safely retreat and essentially “hide”. because damn boi my 60hps ain’t gonna out heal a dragonblade or riptire, if i heal at those times im practically telling the enemy dps “HERE I AM, KILL ME”.

so my point being hide&rez as mercy player’s see it wasn’t as common as people like to think. i think it was rarer. but the gameplay of mercy’s made it seem to people that they were just letting teammates die for the sake of a big rez.

anyway the root of the problem i think is because of the invincibility. before the invincibility was introduced mercy was fairly a risk. risking to rez 5man often resulted to teammates being brought back without a mercy because, while the mercy is rezzing the enemy team could easily kill her. it was a risk to wait for a 5 man cause you’d essentially bring back your team without the main healer.

they easily could’ve fixed the issue with mass rez in my opinion. e.g. removing invulnerability and giving her damage reduction instead. requiring her LoS as well as a small cast time.

tho tbh i’ve given up on asking for mass rez. i highly doubt they’d make a full revert :confused:

15 Likes

I’d argue it was usually “Go onto point to bait out their ultimates, and then we can push using ours”

Baiting out abilities is a gameplay mechanic in any PvP game that has abilities, so I don’t see how this one is somehow “wrong”

10 Likes

because it rewards bad gameplay, a whole team shouldn’t be able to come back and win a fight after playing poorly, intentional or not.

4 Likes

Just watch the first 2 minutes, official reason.

2 Likes

this is false or a misinterpretation

“die on point” is shorthand

it 's a shorter way of saying:
“IF you are going to die,please die together,on point,in range of each other so that we as a team can get the maximum value out of my ult and have a chance at retaking the map,because i have ult,and i’m coming to swoop in and rez you if we need it”

die on point is a bit quicker to say and people understood what it meant.

At no point have i seen a mercy ever in seriousness ask to just die.

its no different from standing together when moira uses her ult so people can get healed all at once ,or protected with lucio’s barriers by being close together.

9 Likes

It didn’t feel like enticing game play for either side. On one side the enemy team would do one of two things: (1) kill everything and then simply have it undone a moment later, or (2) have to go out of their way to check every nook and cranny for the Mercy, while their teammates are actually getting to play the game.

For the side of the Mercy, you went and hid and dance emoted at a wall for a fight until your team was dead, then flew out and hit Q. It wasn’t fun for anybody.

And before you feed me the B.S. that Hide and Rez was a myth, the overwhelming majority of you did not play in grandmaster at the time, like I did. It was absolutely every single game this was happening.

Edit: I know this post will get dumped on, but yeah. These threads are always filled with Mercy mains who insist nothing was wrong, and anybody who goes against that gets hated on to the max, which is why I rarely comment on these threads. But I decided to this time for some reason… RIP.

11 Likes

Baiting out ultimates isn’t “playing poorly” on the Mercy’s teams part. If anything it’s the opposite, you’re using everything to your own benefit to win.

If the murder hobos on the other team want to throw out all 6 ultimates in one go, but don’t see the Mercy isn’t dead, whose fault is it that they got baited?

7 Likes

its not, this was literally a strat, go die on the point to bait out ults and we Rez and win with ours.

I’ve played in masters and above since season 3 I know what I’m talking about.

6 Likes