So Jeff wants 3-2-1?

From what I gather from it:

• They tested it out, and many liked it while many didn’t like it.
  • The off tanks are made into DPS. Like 400 HP Hog and Breather doesn’t provide damage resistances.
  • The support feedbacks were 50/50.
  • The DPS feedbacks were a net positive.
  • They scrapped it.

So how the hell did this forum thinks that 1/3/2 is coming?

6 Likes

Made me wonder why they tested this stupid idea???

They were testing how to make RQ queue time not completely trash for DPS I guess, since they are the one with the highest population.

3 Tanks, 2 DPS, 1 Healer? :scream:

Not a reason for me, normally one don’t need to test a (very) bad idea, and publicize it also.

I mean, they kinda have to in my opinion?

Especially when this was Jeff’s response to the a thread in which OP was begging them to change RQ from 2/2/2 to 1/3/2. And he explained that they tried out different comp styles and stuffs before settling with 2/2/2.

Yes, you may see it is terrible and it is a good thing for you that they scrapped it. It is just so happen that this forum went from “1/3/2 is tested and scrapped” to “1/3/2 is coming”. Like seriously?!?

as someone who doesn’t play dps the wait times right now are unsustainable so might as well adapt to the actual player base

The better question is, have they scrapped it? Jeff didn’t say that, and in fact said they looked at bringing it to PTR.

With that simple statement, it would not surprise me to see them implement 1-3-2 at the launch of OW2, along with the batch of new heroes and possibly reworks.

3 Likes

Problem is, the balancing isn’t fitting for it, they overhauled the tanks for 222.

I would prefer they let the player base test these changes before definitively adding it to the game like 2-2-2.

Let US decide if we like 1-3-2 better before adding it to the game, forcing us to deal with it. If it has better feedback than 2-2-2, go for it. If not, scrap it.

So the DPS kiddies don’t wet themselves thinking this a fact of life coming - Jeff said the idea came about when “brainstorming” ie over the meeting table with donuts and coffee between breaks of playing Overwatch and laughing at Forum posts - that maybe 1 tank and 3 dps and 2 supports might work. Jeff, always the one to waste time on nutty ideas, went with it of course and blew 2 months of testing on it to discover what simply asking tank mains would tell them… its fun for some tank players, others will hate it, the team play is weaker, and it means the lone tank player is going to get kicked around more and a lot of tank players will just finally throw in the towel. Sure carefree DPS players get to have fun, and support’s more engaged but screw the tanks basically in the process. Overall, it will mean more dumb pew-pew-pew, and less team play and high IQ, and more dumb twitch play while utterly making tanking a worse chore than it already is.

What is surprising is Jeff must be a bit of an ego-centric tank main to begin to think tank players would be in general down for this as most tank players, already frustrated at being frozen, hacked, booped, stunned are going to hate this. We already went through it before with open 6-stack when getting 2 tanks was a godsend and usually the team with 2 won. The other larger problem is one tank means the DPS knobs and supports will cry for one “main tank” to hide behind, probably Rein/Orisa, which people were already sick of and cause even more stale metas.

DPS queue times are stable, they aren’t ideal but its DPS players fault for simply not queuing ever into other roles, simple fact of life. Oh, and DPS players - right now you have a 50/50 chance of playing what you want, just remember that now will go down to 1 in 3…

1 Like

Half the tanks would have to be completely remade to even function under those conditions. If I see half my favorite most played characters get changed this way I’m out (and I’m sure other tanks players feel this way too)

Outside M/GM teammates aren’t reliable. I tanked a ton prior to 2-2-2 and 8/10 games I was the only tank. This resulted in me dying a lot because

A. Supports on ladder don’t actually heal like they do in the highest elo’s and pro

B. Dps never peeled or supported me

As the only tank you are the main focus of the enemy and you think tanks are team reliant in 2-2-2? Well it’s 10x worse when you solo tank.

I got so fed up with it after like 8 seasons of tanking (4 of those were only tanking and mainly with Orisa) that I forced myself to learn WB and loved it. Unlike other tanks he suffers the least if at all from lack of heals or team coordination/peels.

I refuse to go back to that. 1-3-2 drops and I’ll leave. I’d be curious to see how many other tank think the same way.

2 Likes

In the end devs just will say: to hell all of this, go 6 dps.

A lot of people also thought 2/2/2 was the dumbest idea ever so I guess you’re gonna have to adapt to the possible changes, just like so many people did with Role Queue :slight_smile: !

I have no real interest in moving from one form of severe restriction (222) to another (132), though I readily concede that such a change would GREATLY reduce queue wait times.

DPS would still face some waits, tho, with the bottleneck shifting more to supports than tanks

If they want supports to solo heal they better seriously buff all of them otherwise its going to be a crapfest xD

1 Like

They don’t, Jeff was talking about solo tanking

Oh cmon, can you Tank/Support mains stop acting like scared kitten now?
DPS players had to go through like a YEAR of GOATS ? which means by the way, ZERO DPS were picked on Diamond and above in most of the matches?

Now theres a rumor they are experimenting with Triple DPS and you start crying rivers and threatening to leave?

Please … :roll_eyes:

Solo tanking, is going to be brutal for tanks.

Except while 2-2-2 is not to everyone’s alley, since INITIAL CONCEPTION the game was designed for 222. The characters were always balanced (balancing efficiency not exactly perfect…) to be in pairs and the overall gameplay designed to have such combination, hence they make off-tanks and off-healers to partner with their corresponding role that mains it. And thats why GOATS was such a bothersome loop in the game’s team composition that could only be solved by cutting the root that was our freedom of choice, a price I was most glad to pay if it means not having to solo heal 5 blundering DPSs or facing GOATs and other metas that abused the overcompensation of roles. (not gonna lie though, once I won a QP match with a team of 6 supports, it was really fun).

GOATS was a product of lazyness. People were enjoying playing “fat DPSs” that require little mechanical skill and could last a long time alive in the field with healers babysitting their every need with AoE heals, reliable self-defense and fast mobility and a pretense to have the tank-busting DPSs buffed more and more to require less skill and higher reward.