So i went back and played tf2

Been a while since i’ve played both overwatch and tf2 and i revisited both game. And i have to say that despite its flaws tf2 is just more fun then overwatch. And it’s rarely frustrating and their are so many customization options in tf2 compared to overwatch. Might be because i have 1500 hours in tf2 but i find it way not enjoyable then overwatch.

26 Likes

It kills me that Valve killed quickplay and forced people to use the legacy browser. They really want another CSGO and it hurts.

12 Likes

Honestly, if TF2’s community were still as active as it used to be, I’d probably still play it instead of Overwatch.

12 Likes

they aren’t based on the same spirit, if you want to play competitive and make up great team work and strategy you go to overwatch, if you want to mess around while killing people you go to TF2.

That’s partially oversimplified but that’s the idea and the second is obviously less stressfull.

6 Likes

50,000 people still play tf2 seems pretty active too me

4 Likes

Valve likes having misleading stats.

You only actually have 14,170 playing at the moment world wide.

6 Likes

If they didn’t try to copy Overwatch with that crappy Matchmaker that barely works and them leaving in the Pubs… I’d have kissed Overwatch goodbye a loooong time ago

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but you can’t all be seriously missing 24 player spamfests…

TF2 is only enjoyable in 6v6 format (even if the players are kinda bad).

6v6 does not fit in a game like TF2
I have over 2300 hours into the game
12v12 was ALOT of fun.

17 Likes

Yeah, the matchmaker change is the only reason I play Overwatch.

It killed the community servers I played on and it failed to produce full matches in a timely manner. TF2 tended to work better when you had 18+ in a match with less it’d get one sided fast.

Plus, I loved fightingmy friends and the new matchmaker always put you with them.

1 Like

I see, you must not be a Scout player.

6v6 was the standard competitive format for TF2, with 9v9 Highlander being sort of an entry level for competitive TF2.

This is an opinion not fact the game works better because it’s 24 people in one game and not 12.

1 Like

The thing is, most of the game wasn’t in for competitive.

With 15k online, you have less than 200 in either Valve Competitive or Community Competitive servers.

ServerMe peaks at around 500 and Valve’s official generally doesn’t make 150.

2 Likes

I played it a while back and I couldn’t stand it. It feels soooooo slow and clunky after OW. Also, TTK is ridiculous, most fights are over in a second.

There are some good things though. Like, OW never had a satisfactory replacement for the Demoman (since Junkrat has been F tier 98% of the lifetime of the game) nor the pyro with the airblast. Or the spy, but TF2 players spy check so hard these days he’s very hard to play.

3 Likes

Only the spamfest part works better, but I guess it’s what you want from the game. Fair enough.

I’m fully aware of this. I’ve been playing TF2 since release. It was not made with competitive play in mind, and the devs never balanced or developed the game around competitive play.

And yet it had an amazing competitive scene in its heyday, and it was amazing because it wasn’t forced like Overwatch’s. The competitive scene instead developed and built competitive formats around what existed in the game, so the game was able to remain fun for casual play while still having an amazing competitive scene that also felt great to play.

6 Likes

How much tf2 have you played may i ask?

I actually think they should put an OW mode in with more players. I think larger teams allow more room for niche roles like Bastion and Sombra. On a 6 player team, there isn’t room for as much departure from the standard support/tank/DPS roles.

4 Likes

I miss games that rewarded skill based movement.

Moving from soldier and spending hours perfecting rocket jumping then moving to Pharah where its all on one button makes her movement feel stale and boring by comparison.

Same can be said for:

• Demoman to Junkrat
  • Medic to Mercy
  • etc
3 Likes