So capcom might be making a hero shooter

This of course is all rumor mill stuff. So take it with a grain of salt.

However, capcom seemingly has in the works a multiplayer focused Megaman game, with the highest budget the series has ever seen.

My first thought would be a battle network specific game, built for modern hardware. Especially after the booming success of the BN collection. And it being the only MM series to really have a multiplayer focus.

Be it that a series with such a large cast of not only playable characters, but dramatically unique bosses, and locations to build into maps.

With Litterial hundreds of options to choose from. As every game had at least 8 bosses, 1~3 playable characters. Spanning from robots made for industrial purposes, to aliens taking after constellations and mythological beasts.

With locations spanning from castles, space, the literal physical manifestation of the internet, and roads built of radio waves layered above are everyday world.

Would be a perfect fit for the genre.

Nor would it be surprising that capcom would be interested in this space, wen taking into account that their competition in namco. Has already dived into that space with Gundam.

Not to mention their previous MM cross over game is on their last leg as is.

But again, this is mostly speculation, as the info we have on the game is from Capcom insiders. And the old capcom schedule leak that was a few years out of date as is.

6 Likes

I do not particularly like the Megaman art style. The game would have to be next level good (and this is Capcom we are talking about) to make me consider jumping on board.

4 Likes

They might be, or are they working on one already? Because it takes at least 4 years for any triple-A games to come out.

edit: watched the gameplay, it looks interesting indeed.

Pfft… Bandai Namco went in with Gundam Evolution, similar heroes, identical tutorial, in other words… Similar but different in many ways. Yet look at how it’s doing. Even worse than Paladins popularity wise and it’s based on an anime. Gonna take a lot to get a higher consistent hero shooter playerbase like TF2 and even Paladins.

1 Like

I mean their really isn’t a single megaman art style, as each series is completely different when it comes to art direction.

We only know that it was suppose to release in 2021 after the BN collection.

However their whole schudule got pushed back a few years for a couple of reasons, partly do to the megaman team getting moved to work on Street fighter 6 and Resident evil 4 remake. For a considerable bit of time. So much so cross promotional stuff for the BN collection happened like 2 years before the collection released.

To be fair it’s doing really well in japan, be it that it also had the issue of not being able to release in many territories do to legal disputes of IP back when you more or less had to share the rights to a show for it to get translated and release in other territories.

So it had a lot of red tap that MM simply doesn’t have to worry about.

1 Like

Mega Man is one of my favorite franchises of all time. I could go off so long about it, and a MM collab is one of the things I really actually wanna see in OW. If it gets its own official FPS, I might not recover. I might just ascend.

But until then I highly recommend Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch; a DOOM engine mod that overhauls the game to function, well, like a Mega Man Deathmatch. Of course has other modes included but SO fun and there’s SO much care and love in it

4 Likes

All I can think is “If you hated counterpicks in OW…”.

2 Likes

spark mandrill getting infinitely stunned by chill penguin is so OP guys! Were’s the balance capcom! ahahah

4 Likes

what gameplay? where? what do i even search for on youtube to see this???!!!

1 Like

Wait what? I think there might be some crossed wires.

Theirs nothing officially released yet.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the upcoming game called Exoprimal.

3 Likes

oh no, that it’s own thing. The definitely not at all dino crises game.

Be it as a general concept it does go to show their interested in that space, be it that is a PVE game primarily.

That ugly blue Japanese cliché dude? I haven’t seen much variation over the years but I may have missed stuff given how unpopular the series is outside of the two Nintendo staple markets.

Have you got links?

1 Like

So megaman has spanned about 8 different spin-offs/sub series.

You can see all the main characters in various anniversary posters such as these two.

https://nintendosoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/megaman-1038x576.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhChoynuMARnMPTe3a4EJL7Pqze_KmXmWHm81sVfe5KA5XxgRtITO5opWBFcKWsTeXWVvyy-KHROATdZ7AQsYXOS6M8sCUvVfIZYOpGb95slk9fvl9Wl1jI6RG-GbrJa_x1xqigx-SMNHzvKctIraD0qBa4LSx9kJU2wSPj8ysCXnoOrZeTLiCIvyh7fw/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/Fvki7HYaMAYnC5L.jpeg

The series has spanned from platformers, to third person adventure games, to RPG’s. With each having their own iteration of Megaman in some form or fashion. Be it that your going to have to dive into the artwork of each individual game to really see the difference and evolution of the series proper. As the worlds themselves considerably more visually diverse then the MC themselves.

Be it a quick and easy distinction you can see almost immediately is in here:

https://youtu.be/3bNQaDphPBQ

2 Likes

Thanks, genuinely appreciated.

I unfortunately have to say that whilst randomly slipping through that 25 minute video I do not see much difference in art style. I see characters updated and variations but they all have a similar cartoonish quality? For those deeply invested into the series I could see how those may appear radical and some are more changed than others, but from outside the overall theme hasn’t changed much.

Completely off topic now but what would you say is the best Megaman game? Perhaps I could dust off a suitable device and give it a go to see if I can be swayed that way. :grin:

1 Like

Now that is a hard question!

it kind of depends on what you want in a game.

For example in 2d platformers we have:

If it’s the hard but fair pixel perfect, the classic series has a good 10 games waiting for you.

Maybe you want something a bit faster paced and more combat heavy in that 2d platformer space, then the X games will be what you want. 8 games (bit it 5-7 are a tad undercooked, 8 tho is amazing)

If you like the the faster based gameplay of the x games but prefer more melee focused combat. the Zero/Zx games are exactly that. which spans 6 games as a whole.

On the RPG side of things.

We have the battle network series. Which is extremely unique in it’s a grid-based real time action game. With elements of fighting games, and card game style deck building.(this series does the pokemon thing about mid way through, so their two versions of some games with completely different gameplay elements and boss line-ups, so their are 6 games but 4 of them are split up into two versions)

And it’s sequel series in Starforce which has a much more Arcady feel, as it’s alot more focused on twitch reactions then strategic play. Be it that’s still their especially in latter games. (their three games, be it also has three versions for the first game. (be it fan combined all of those into a single rom called the DX patch highly recommend play that)

if you want the more explorative adventure style game.

the Legend trilogy could be what your looking for. As you explore the interconnecting cave systems of culture long gone, but still technologically advanced. For energy cells, and scraps of anceint technology. All the while engaging sky pirates with small family crew.

Be it that it has some slightly dated controls. as it was a Ps1 trilogy.

I would wait on this one as it’s the one of the few series that hasn’t had rerelease treatment.

You can get most of the series outside of Starforce and Legends as packaged collections.
for modern consoles. And should include alot of additional options for controls, and some extra goodies via their soundtracks, new gamemodes, and content that can’t really be accessed in the original games.

if anyone one of the peak your interests I can point you to the better starting points for each series.

(Long story short your not going to run out of games to play any time soon)

1 Like

We’re literally in the golden age of Capcom. They’re on a massive winning streak. Gundam Evolution is completely irrelavent to how Capcoms shooter will do if they’re making one.

2 Likes

Hero shooter genre was dead on arrival. All the clones failed and keep failing and even Blizzard themselves don’t know what to do with it.

Seems like only TF2 did it right.

So the issue with most of them, is that we had a huge genre push right next to OW.

And outside of paladins that was the F2P alternative. Everyone else pushing the box price sticker was being out advertised/hyped and had interest pulled away back into OW.

Gundam is stable, as it’s a cost controlled product. As in they are putting into it what they are expecting to reasonably get out of it.

And honestly as a brand with longevity as MM, and like 30 years of history to pull content from. Their going to be pulling nostalgia strings which can’t be said for battleborn.

I just want Capcom to release DmC:DE on PC. That’s all I care about.