So... can we Buff Hammond now? šŸ™„

This isnā€™t going to happen. Devs already stated this is a balance decision.

Here is the reply from a different Hammond thread:

He also needs to not just be a useless hero vs specific heroesā€¦ like meiā€¦ may people #deletemeipermanently

1 Like

They said they wouldnā€™t change that.
F.

I feel like Hammondā€™s mines need more health and shouldnā€™t trigger on shields or Meiā€™s walls. They are for area denial, but they get whipped out so fast.

1 Like

Your suggestions would make him incredibly overpowered and just reinforce the tank/healer meta. Move on.

Would love to see him get some love honestly. I think his main problem is how bad he is against cc though. As a main tank thatā€™s the worst weakness you could have.

I made a detailed post about some small changes they could make to him, without making him over the top. They need to let us use piledriver while grappled to instead propel us forward and immediately get our full speed, and break roots/slows and/or make our E more reliable and not proximity based, possibly with counters, some kind of circle only we can see, or numbers, like lucio etc, as well as let us use it while rolling.

3 Likes

All i want from a WB buff is an ammo buff.
Everytime I dive in, I tend to shoot the enemy and wonder ā€œWait what happened to my ammoā€
Then proceed to spam melee, since Iā€™m in the enemy backline without ammo and canā€™t afford to reload.

3 Likes

ā€¦what? I mean, Iā€™m for QoL, like shield in ball form, but Hammond is an absolute beast. People just suck at him

Iā€™d also like to see his ult getting changed so it doesnā€™t lose all charge if an enemy stuns you while you happen to have pushed Q within a second which also cancels the mines getting dropped. Like, the window isnā€™t large enough for there to be any counterplay, itā€™s just stupidly unlucky and frustrating when it happens. And dear god, in a game with THIS many stuns, it happens often enough.

Maybe a faster start to the initial ult animation?

I feel as though they arenā€™t getting a lot of value, even if they are seen occasionally at the higher ELOs.

Usually they are busy being farmed for ult charge.

Easy sleep/CC target, easy to flush his momentum, easy target to hitā€¦

1 Like

he needs a zarya and none of those things happen. you just fly in, get bubbled, shield, down slam, combo, roll out. constantly.

I dunno. If the other team is clumped up, we switch off monkey-dva and go hamster-zarya. he feels really strong to me.

he forces the other team to go lots of CC, and if they get too much you just switch

Whats your play style / approach to using hammond?

When Wrecking Ball came out I remember saying in game chat, ā€œso what can this guy do better than DVA or Winston can?ā€

Two people in the chat just replied with ā€œLUL.ā€ Says it all really. WB is just a worse version of dva.

1 Like

WB has the strongest dive of any of the tanks. The disruption he can bring is unparalled. People see him like they see hog, now days, people arenā€™t like ā€œwell, we lose because we have a hog on our teamā€, theyā€™re open to it. Right now, hamsterā€™s counters donā€™t just make it difficult to play him, they LITERALLY MAKE HIM WORTHLESS! No other hero in the game deals with this kind of hard counter. Reaper vs. Brig can still get kills, still land sick ults when he knows brig canā€™t stop it. Hanzo just drops winston now, so saying he counters hanzo is laughable. If an enemy pulls out mei, you pretty much HAVE to swap off it, or your life will be misserable.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not against a little buff but donā€™t make him easier to play. Donā€™t raise the ceiling skill floor, itā€™s why heā€™s fun to play.

Agreed. The suggestions I put up in my giant post was to make it so that piledriver could be used as an escape while grounded, giving us the option to break roots or slows giving us some escape, or to immediately gain max speed, at the cost of piledriverā€™s cooldown starting. This would be a fair trade, on top of letting him get out of sticky situations. Additionally, I suggested his E be made to be reliable, usable while rolling, consistently stronger, show numbers and info that could buff hammondā€™s control and make it more clear when the shield would be stronger vs not. Lastly, a lot of bugs of his need to be addressed, such as piledriver warping us around, stalling mid air, grapple being unresponsive, or how he canā€™t gain momentum while going towards enemies. There are also situations where he just randomly loses momentum when passing enemies, and not even colliding with them. As he stands now, something has to happen, cuz heā€™s just an ult battery that does a lot of damage. Despite constantly going in, getting like 2-3 kills, making the entire team turn around, possibly trying to solo ult me, my team is like ā€œduuuurrrr wtf is hamster doing for usā€ And i have to say ā€œkilling 3 of them, going in as a tank, disrupting them, spawn camping their supports, constantly, literally making it 6v3.ā€ And theyā€™re like ā€œwinston or dva is better!ā€ Uhā€¦ no theyā€™re not, not how iā€™m playing hamster.

Thereā€™s this giant stigma that heā€™s terrible, and heā€™s not terrible, people just donā€™t play him right. They run from healers, and 90% of the time, they see me taking damage, and theyā€™re raging at me ā€œi CAN"T HEAL YOU STOP FEEDINGā€ itā€™s like ā€œrelaxā€¦ iā€™m not gonna die, i know how this works.ā€

The games where people have more acceptance of him as a character, are the games where we just dominate, my team is like OMG NICE! Because iā€™m constantly providing picks, making widows able to hit free targets in the air, preventing reinhardts from going in, killing the hanzos in the backline before they even realize. I canā€™t tell you how many times iā€™ve had their entire team, swap to literally EVERY hammond counter, just because i was destroying their front and backline.

He needs buffs, but only buffs related towards his tankiness, and his game play decisions, not his damage, donā€™t nerf his damage, donā€™t nerf his grapple, itā€™s fine, the only issue is how much damage he takes from most of the heroes. Reaper, Mei, Hanzo and McCrees tend to just shatter his HP pull, so healers better be ready to heal Mr. Hamster. noms on food Cuz hamster is cominā€™

1 Like

I think the Devs have already said they donā€™t want to change this because this is the counterplay and risk vs reward of the ability.

Still needs buffs though.

Same. Hammond is still irrelevant against mei.

What if Hammond couldnā€™t get frozen in ball form? Or would that be toO OP?