So Bap is officially bisexual

I wish the America saw things more like you do.

2 Likes

I just don´t understand the definition of that word, so I can´t really answer the question :woman_shrugging:

You can still relate to him in some ways…it doesn´t have to be sexuality. He still likes girls too xD

Intresting but it change nothing.

Doom for the other hand comfirmes his doom fetish “de-feet makes me stronga” :point_left::slightly_smiling_face: attention joke

South American is not a race. Brazil has a complex racial makeup that includes white/Hispanic/Latino (mostly of Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, and German descent), Asian (mostly Japanese, I think), indigenous peoples, a lot of mixed race folks, and, yes, black (sub-Saharan west African).

You might as well say that Sojourn is North American and not black.

This is the part that people in this thread (and me) are having trouble understanding. Why is LGTBQ the sticking point for you? Bap is also a doctor, and a veteran, and a mercenary, and Haitian, and an orphan, and tri-lingual – I don’t know very much about you, but I’m going to guess that there is at least one thing on that list that you can’t relate to.

White American here. I’m not going to pretend to be an expert, and I’m sure it’s a lot more complicated than even I realize, but I suspect it mainly has to do with four things:

1. The US is a relatively young country. Our national identity only goes back about 250 years – more if you include the colonies, but that has always felt like a whole different world to me.
  2. The US is a cultural mixing pot. We’re mostly English, but we’ve also had waves of immigration from European countries like Germany, Ireland, and Italy. Those people were viewed with suspicion in the past, but many families have been here for generations, so nobody really cares anymore. We don’t see each other as Germans or Irish, we see each other as Americans with German or Irish heritage. (Heck, my last name is German, but I’ve never thought of myself as a German. I’m as American as apple pie, so the saying goes.)
  3. In spite of the above, the US doesn’t actually border many other countries, so most of us don’t get constant exposure to foreigners.
  4. The US has a long and complicated history with race, specifically. It takes up a lot of space in our history books and in our memories. We have a lot of scars, and a lot of wounds that can’t heal because they keep getting scratched open.
4 Likes

an honest question: so what? it’s not a social malus, that’s exactly the point of pride month. :man_shrugging: I don’t know, I don’t think we should focus too much on “represent 'em all” like the sims.

actually not. :thinking: or rather, she had a very flirty way about it, but… nothing so obvious as to what kind of attraction he had. not that he matters any more than other characters. to understand each other, brigitte and D.va often talk about dae-hyun but it is not excluded that it is not just heterosexuality. :sweat_smile: there doesn’t seem to be anything to ‘understand’, but it’s still appreciated that overwatch celebrates holidays like valentine’s day and pride after 7 years.

however, I think that a very nice feeling has been created on the web between lifeweaver and baptiste for some time now. I don’t know, it seems to me a ship that hasn’t been seen since the times of the much discussed “mchanzo”. then yes, I would OBVIOUSLY like lifeweaver to have a much more in-depth story soon like baptiste had it in his short story. I don’t like the idea of him remaining a lgbtq character and that’s it, I also wish he had a more interesting role in the lore like baptiste did in his journey of redemption from talon.

1 Like

So you can’t have coffee with a bi person?

1 Like

Bisexual people as a stereotype (unless you’re being negative with the stereotype) are typically the relatable person you can just vibe with…

That’s how others are usually, in my experience.

1 Like

I’m French : I don’t get the “black people, but Lucio doesn’t count” thing. Here, when people have a problem with skin color, you can be born in the same street as them, they don’t care.

As far as “why is it one of the black guy” (which is nonsens to me, just in case)… I know how bad this is going to sound, but does “being black” take the entire “non-standard” space of a character’s identity ? Look at LGBT characters : Tracer is from the UK, Soldier from the US. Now we have Pharah, Baptiste and Lifeweaver, representing Egypt, Haiti and Thailand. Isn’t that much better then having LGBT be two white h*mos (why is this word censored…), representing only England and its former colony ?

Also, we finally have bi-representation. It might be a detail for a ton of people, but it means a lot for a few of us. To have a good bi character (not an absurdly horny “I want to be in everyone’s bed” kind of character) in a game like Overwatch is amazing. It’s the kind of things that would have made my teenage years much less painful, had it happen back then…

2 Likes

This is exactly my confusion and I just personaly also hate to be just called “white”, cause heck - I have some cultural background. I just never get this terminology and it feels like something from the “segregation” times from 200 years ago…

I’m sorry I didn’t reach the end of your post, did you say Lucio isn’t black?!

Because he’s Brazilian.

But Baptiste, who is from Haiti, in the Carribean, on the opposite side of the Atlantic from Africa, is black.
And Sojourn, who is Canadian, is black.
And Orisa, who is a robot cow centaur, is black.

But Lucio isn’t black because he’s from Brazil.

3 Likes

…You realize that Brazil has a massive black population, right? That black people are all over South America, right?

4 Likes

It’s kind of a rude way to refer to a fruitcake. Blizzard’s censor is overtuned, though, not gonna argue with that. You still can’t use the word “b-o-n-g-o” to refer to Orisa’s drum because of the word you get if you drop the last O. Absolutely ridiculous.

Slight tangent, but I played another game years ago where you would be automatically muted for saying “saltwater” in chat because of the T word contained in it. Convincing people to say it became a common prank until it was fixed.

60 years ago. Racial segregation persisted in the southern US until the Civil Rights Act in 1964, and people kept doing it for a while after in spite of the law.

My girlfriend’s mother grew up in Jim Crow era south. It’s not as distant a memory as you might think.

1 Like

I mean, we ARE just regular guys. Dunno who do you know, but personally I don’t scream “YOU PEOPLE, I LIKE SAUSAGES AS MUCH AS POTATOES, GOTTA KNOW THAT!!!” when walking on the street, I just live my life like anyone else.
The vast majority of people I know don’t even know I’m bi, not because I’m afraid but simply because it’s none of their business. Just like vast majority of straight people don’t tell everyone what they’re doing with their genitals.
Moreover, why HAS to be black? Because you’re black? My god, really you people are so obsessed with skin color? Bap is my main since he’s a thing, I love him and I couldn’t care less about his skin color.
I would also kindly point out that there aren’t many chill OW characters you can take a cup of coffee with, regardless of skin color. Between literal animals, madmen, terrorists, people living like it’s 200 years ago, old people faking their deaths, killer robots, racist jerks KILLING robots… Baptiste is like THE “down to Earth guy” character, it’s not like there’s plenty of them.

I would totally take a cup of coffee with Doom. He’s a terrorist, but an extremely smart one, has charisma and knows how the world works. I love his “A great leader adapts to their team. Not the other way around.” quote, shows how he’s not some megalomaniac mindless evil edgelord (like, sadly, current Reaper).

Sorry to hear that, personally I main Baptiste and I’m bi but this doesn’t change anything I feel about him (I appreciated you specified “a few” nonetheless). I feel more like…

… This. I mean, Tracer and Soldier felt organic, they were done during a story, casually, as a story detail. Tracer’s comic was set in an “holiday moment”, OF COURSE she would have been with her loved one. Soldier was talking about his past with a long-time friend, OF COURSE he would be talking about his life regrets, love included.
On the other hand, Lifeweaver… “Look, here’s a new hero! AND HE’S PAN!”. I like his character, but this really sounds he’s all about being pan (luckily this wasn’t the case).
And now these two. Of course, there’s a short story… which is essentially “Pharah is lesbian, Baptiste is bi, and we’re telling this with some recycled background”. Literally nothing new other than checking boxes, maybe just that we know Mauga wasn’t entirely forgotten.
This isn’t how you handle a story. It would be totally a different thing if Baptiste, for example, was talking about his time being chased by Talon, maybe with a flashback, and mentioned undercover Talon agents (male and female) trying to hook up with him. That would be telling a story about a character, who happens to be LGBT… Not straight up checking boxes.

1 Like

Why can he not be relatable still?

If you’re talking to me, he’s as relatable as before. Nothing more, nothing less.
And it means he’s the most relatable character in the entire roster.

I remember some humorist calling our football team “African” between a lot of players are black, and this lead to a huge backlash because of how racist it sounded to us, while the backlash sounded racist to Americans… on this aspect, our respective culture differ greatly, and I’m pretty sure both side have a hard time understanding the other.

Also, while it does feel like “200 years ago”, it’s waaaaay closer than that, on both side. France’s colonial empire officially ended in 1946, yet we didn’t give full citizenship to black people born in our former colonies up until Algeria got its independence in 1962…

Is it ? Then my bad for being incentive. I’m French, and in French it isn’t rude, it’s just the generic word for gay/lesbian. I guess in English you use “gay” as the general word, including lesbians ?

It doesn’t change how I see the character at all, but it’s more of a general thing. When I searched for support, back in the day, the people I found were angry gay people who hated me for what I was and pushed me to believe I was either in “yet to accept myself as gay” mood or a straight guy killing them by lying about my true orientation. I didn’t search for bi people, because I didn’t know bisexuality was a thing, and to be honest, had I know, the image of “bi people are just 3some material” wouldn’t have helped at all.

That’s why I say these kinds of characters help a lot. They might not help you, but this kind of representation does help us all in general.

And I don’t see this short story has that big of an issue. If anything, I prefer it that way : look, it’s so normal that it’s just a small thing !

1 Like

No that’s my bad, i quoted the OP but it just didn’t work i guess

You’re fine. It’s not a bad word in English, it’s just kind of rude slang. “Gay” is the catch-all term for homosexual, but a gay woman is usually called a “lesbian” (the “L” in “LGBTQ”).

By the way, “fruitcake” is definitely rude. Please don’t call people fruitcakes, unless you know them really well. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Language is so wonderfully, stupidly, beautifully complicated. Calling a black person in America “colored” will get you funny looks, but it’s a legitimate racial category in South Africa for people of mixed race.

I’m also really glad this wasn’t the case, especially after we were told that his sexuality would be reflected in his hero interactions. I was worried he’d spend every pre-match phase hitting on his team.

This is such a bizarre post. Black Brazilians are still black and I seriously fail to see how Bap being bi suddenly makes him not relateable. He’s one of the most fleshed-out characters in the cast, whose charm just happens to also apply to both ladies and dudes.