So are we not gonna talk about the coding

So if you guys didnt know, Jeff said they couldnt get Vanilla Overwatch [I.e Shield generator, Mass rez, etc] Because instead of correctly versioning the game, they overwrote the files.

Like… isnt that bad coding practice? Like didnt just all those assets go to waste then? Like im not the only one who thinks thats ridiculous right?

74 Likes

it’s more of a space issue than a programming issue, they have debloated the game a couple of times now.

25 Likes

Are ya coding son

19 Likes

That doesn’t really excuse them completely overwriting the code though?

Couldn’t they just copy what they had and spare it somewhere else? Like just completely overwriting their work wasnt the smartest idea.

15 Likes

Sadly no :pensive:

I’ll get to it one day

1 Like

A wise person once said to me that workshopping is coding.
They knew their stuff.

1 Like

A long time ago they redid the vast majority of code or infrastructure or something in order for it to be patched way faster and more efficiently.

I remember that day there was gigantic launcher updates all throughout the day

7 Likes

That’s not how that works… When you debloat your production program, you would still maintain all the source code in all the previous versions. Those previous versions and all the information contained within, would not be visible to the end user, it simply exists information in version control… which is not actually a part of the program itself.

You don’t need to delete your version controlled source code in order to de-bloat the final product - that’s literally not how any of that works.

36 Likes

everytime you update your computer you’re overwriting code, updating a game is no different.

that code could be completely irrelevant and wouldn’t work even if they tried implementing it.

think of it like this, they are adding code adding code and then there’s a point where the game becomes bloated so they have to remove unnecessary code for the game to run better.

unless they pretty much made a back up of the original code and just ran that back up version there’s actually no other code than that, and it wouldn’t work that well with the current version without heavy rewriting of that code, so much so that it would simply be easier to write new code for it.

1 Like

so mass rez is source code?

Sounds like an excuse, gift wrapped in lies.

10 Likes

Because you don’t build an E-Sport with ‘Classic’ in mind. Only dying and failed games resort to using ‘Classic’ anything when their current product is garbage.

3 Likes

Then what is the point in completely overwriting assets?

Didnt they put plenty of time into making them? Also what if they want to go back?

The way I read Jeff’s message, it didn’t seem as much as a “we deleted the code” issue, rather “copying and pasting the old code into the current game didn’t work”. To bring it into the live game, they’d basically be building a new game mode which I doubt they consider a priority.

5 Likes

I actually read it in the opposite way, it seemed by the way he worded it, they basically overwrote what they had

He even said it wasnt “versioned off” it was “overwritten”

I do agree Vanilla shouldn’t be a priority though :frowning:

The point of an E-Sport is to progress forwards. Newer assets are better than the old because of improvements.

If Overwatch tries to go back to ‘Classic’ than its a clear signal that game as a whole is on the down turn. The Developers won’t resort to that just yet, they’re still trying to peddle PvE.

That’s not how that works… What happens on your computer at home has nothing to do with a developer’s version control.

9 Likes

I wont go into my specific details of where i think Overwatch is currently, however i don’t agree with the E-sports notion.

“Classic” does not necessarily mean your game is going down, it just means it was VERY different from what it was in the past then what it was currently, good or not.

Server space costs a lot of money. There was probably a small room or several filled with hard drives that they would have had to have replaced in order to “save” the old software. You’re probably talking a few people’s salaries just to retain the old assets.

True. But old code doesn’t always work on new software. You can’t just copy and paste it to work and the process of reworking the code or the software to be compatible with the other requires resources that Blizzard just might not be willing to invest - especially considering the state of working conditions for them right now.

1 Like

so you explain how blizzard are liars then.
because my understanding of code is very basic.