So, about Reaper's lore

‘There’s a lot more that’s going to come out about Reaper. This is something that we don’t want to reveal immediately, but it’s a story we’re very compelled to tell over time!’

Unfortunately, I cannot post links. Look for the video ‘Blizzard’s Jeff Kaplan Answers Overwatch Questions From Twitter | Tech Support | WIRED’

This is what was stated in a Blizzard Q&A back in May 2017.

So have the developers changed their mind? The only significant Reaper lore development received since that day was the comic Masquerade, where he freed Doomfist and it was revealed that he partly succeeded in Gibraltar and was not fooled by Sombra’s pitiful deceit.

It was also stated around the time of Blizzcon 2017 that Gabriel Reyes did not turn on Morrison out of jealousy, but for unknown reasons, and then it was revealed that Reyes required Moira’s assistance to deal with some genetical issues he had.

But still, it’s almost been one year since that statement, and Reaper still hasn’t received any major lore development. No comic, no animated short, nothing. The comic Masquerade was centered around Doomfist, Reaper played a secondary role.

41 Likes

they care about as much, with lore as they do with buffing f tier heroes like reaper for example

10 Likes

The animated short at Blizzcon 2017 should have revolved around Reaper, not Reinhardt. Who cares about Reinhardt, he’s not nearly as cool and metal as Reaper. Big missed opportunity.

8 Likes

crazymage cares about reinhardt

4 Likes

For a character so central to the entire plot of Overwatch it’s amazing he’s gotten so little lore.

Lead Overwatch to victory in it’s infancy.
Lead Blackwatch and did what no one else was willing to do.
The cause of the swiss explosion that ended Overwatch.
Council Member of Talon
And currently in the process of Exterminating the old Overwatch Agents.

Having A super detailed biography on reaper would explain so much of how the Over-Verse works.

Also Reyes, I’ve gotten promoted from your secretary to PR Gal.

11 Likes

Quick! Someone call the OPINION POLICE

…I mean in a game with 27 heroes… it takes a while to get around to everyone.

As for why they chose Reinhardt… I’m pretty sure it was the start of Brigette taking on a bigger role in the lore

11 Likes

Also Reyes, I’ve gotten promoted from your secretary to PR Gal.

Don’t get in my way.

But they clearly stated that Reaper specifically would get a lot of lore over time, not immediately. But it’s almost been one year and… no significant Reaper lore development.

3 Likes

dont bother explaining yourself to lesser beings

3 Likes

With the introduction of Doomfist and Moira, we see the whole Talon cast (Reaper included) taking the stage, and whether you consider that as a major lore development is up to you.

No. They said more was coming to Reaper’s story specifically, and it would be a STORY. And it would be a large story.

That is neither a story, nor a large one. That’s just Reaper making cameos in medias dedicated to Doomfist and Moira.

3 Likes

‘Reaper’ is a persona that Gabriel made up or there was another person going on by the alias of Reaper before the downfall of Overwatch? There are some small pieces of lore that indicate that.

Or even, Gabriel was the Reaper since before his ‘accident’?

2 Likes

That’s fair, perhaps they had it all planned out, but decided that it would fit better along some other lore that hasn’t been fully developed, like a specific hero

You have to keep in mind Reapers lore is very tricky.

You have two promintent heroes - Jack and Reyes
Reyes was meant to be the leader of OW initially but people liked Jack more and was promoted above him.

Reyes then became the leader of Blackwatch ( in which moria was part of )
Moria was banished before OW was dismantled.

Now for some reason, Reyes and Jack fought in the Swiss HQ.
This resulted in both Reyes and Morrison dying.

So they now have to decide
Who caused the explosion
Did they really die or was it a case of Ana - pretending to be dead.
If they did die what caused Reaper to be so drastically different.
More importantly, since Moria left - does she modify Reyes then or much later?

There are a lot of directions you can take with the storyline and can result in a lot of issues if they choose the wrong path - wich could stiffle the expansion of the universe.

That being said, we’ve got testing for project ARES coming along nicely. Word is Moira wants you testing it in Illios.

What if it was common for Overwatch members to die, and Mercy ressurected a lot of people a lot of times?

What if that was the real reason for the success of Overwatch, because their members seems to not die.

What if Talon rised because of that fact, and if they succeeded to kill Gerard, but he just was ressurected, then, Talon used his wife to end him in a more permanent way?

1 Like

I don’t think it is common.
I think there are some “Sacrifices” you make when you do die the first time.
Otherwise Mercy could have resurrected Widows Husband as he was a member of OW also.

That is why I feel it is likely she augmented Genji \ S76 \ Reaper in order to bring them back to functioning order.

See. There are still so many questions. And Overwatch is no longer a new game, it’s 2 years old, the fact that much of Reaper’s backstory is still shrouded in mystery… it’s not even the writers’ intentions, the writers want to give him a lot of lore development, as I proved, but why they didn’t do it is unknown.

Blizzcon 2017 was the PERFECT opportunity for an animated short revolving around Reaper, which also obviously delved into his relationship with Moira. But noooo, screw it, we have to make an animated short for a useless character like Reinhardt that has no importance whatsoever in the lore in the grand scheme of things.

4 Likes

Rein was one of the founding members and the video acted as a Sneak Peak at Hero 27

6 Likes

No. Reinhardt is just a vigilante. In the grand scheme of things, he has no importance in Earth’s geopolitical situation.

Unlike Reaper, who freed Doomfist and is the indirect cause of the major war that Talon is about to begin, and is also leading a personal crusade against Overwatch.

In addition, Gabriel Reyes was much more important than Reinhardt, having been the main reason for Overwatch’s downfall.

1 Like

Reaper is absolutely central to the game’s story. We’re excited to reveal more about his world view and who he is as a person. Sorry that these things take time to develop. We’re moving as fast as we can.

213 Likes