Smurfing is cheating

In a bronze match? Isn’t that obvious?

12 Likes

Nope, I don’t see how they have any special advantage. Theres 6 people,2-2-2 on each team. Whats the advantage?

Does the Diamond player some how get extra dmg for being diamond?

OK, I really thought it was obvious. I’ll explain.

Let’s actually increase the SR difference just to illustrate the point more clearly. Let’s say there’s a top 500 player who gets a Smurf account in Bronze. The skill difference between them and the bronze players is such that simply by existing on the team guarantees a win. They are so much better that they are capable of carrying and none of the other players really matter.

It’s like if an NBA star went and played on a middle school basketball team. It really wouldn’t be fair.

7 Likes

Absolutely not, see post below

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/64ru7u/jeff_kaplan_talks_about_smurfing/

And jeff also made a post on the forums a while ago saying alt accounts are fine but derankers are not.

OP makes no mention of console so I don’t think what Jeff recently said about alt accounts on console really applies.

On PC it’s not a problem, end of story.

Ahhh I think I understand, the player is better than them so that means they’re cheating, sounds about forum right.

1 Like

Here’s a more recent post. They appear to have changed their minds from 2 years ago like they have on many things.

If you are purposefully playing in a rank you don’t belong to stomp players who are worse than you then yes. Do you think an NBA player belongs in a middle school game? No, they belong in the NBA playing against players of similar skill.

This is why we have a matchmaker in the first place. It’s the whole point.

16 Likes

It’s more like throwers should banned, you know some people throw just to stay at a lower rank just to stomp the enemy team. That makes them feel “good”. Such a shame.

Yes, and again OP didn’t mention console at all.

Thats kinda hard to work around tho. Because there are so many defining factors to deal with Smurfs. All you have to do is make a new email and have ur main signed in to play (from xbox perspective). People may say to ban all acounts coming from a certain IP Address or whatever, but How do they know its actually the smurf and not some random friend actually just genuinely trying the game, or the address is linked to a shared apartment complex whatever. (Im not very knowledgeable at this kinda stuff so feel free to correct me but even so this is some complicated stuff)

We all know they threw to get down to bronze.

1 Like

Why? What about “consoles” makes it hard?

Blizzard is confident their matchmaker works in quickly moving people on alt accounts to their correct ranks, and they supposedly have evidence to back it up.

So they don’t consider having an alt account cheating. Throwing on an alt account is reportable though, obviously.

Pre-paid visa cards.

1 Like

Report it under gameplay sabotage.

The smurf isn’t abusing game mechanics or 3rd-party resources to gain an unfair upper hand

Cheating is for hacks and stuff.

3 Likes

Iirc, smurfs on consoles are a huge problem because you only have to buy the game once and can continue to make new profiles for “new” accounts. So it’s basically free smurf accounts for everyone.

They can post it if they want. It’s not any different from the many other threads repeating the same thing over and over.

1 Like

If they’re throwing games so they can artificially keep their rank low so they can play against lower level players on purpose at their discretion

They are abusing in game “mechanics“ to give themselves an advantages, id argue.

2 Likes

smurfs do ruin comp, that’s for sure. They make the community toxic too cause the other teams getting rolled and flaming eachother.

1 Like

Bar the new profiles from Competitive.

This is the crux of the issue: if Blizzard wants the players to treat Overwatch as a real competitive game, Blizzard has to treat it that way.

2 Likes