Smurfing is cheating, change my mind

Smurfing is cheating, change my mind.

29 Likes

They are totally different. Real skill is not using cheats like aimbot.

3 Likes

Define cheating.

Pro CS:GO player buys Overwatch for first time, 98 year old grandma buys Overwtach for first time. Both get level 25 and get into comp. Get matched together first game. Is CS:GO player cheating because he’s better than grandma (not to mention that he’s probably better than everyone in the lobby)?

13 Likes

Pro Top500 player buys OW for the 5th time for “Educational” streams. Total newbies get matched with him because MMR is 3 years old and outdated. Pro player stomps everyone and buys another account to do it again.

44 Likes

What’s your point, exactly?

1. People buying multiple accounts for challenges and since MMR cant decide whos ne to the game and who has multiple accounts they get unfair and unbalanced matches straigth when they just wanted to play the game first time.

2. Jeffs excuse for smurfing is how they MMR goes up to their main accounts MMR in 15 matches. At one hand its 15x11=165 player the smurf causes unbalanced matches within 3 hours and on the other hand smurfs can easily throw games to bronze making the MMR argument quite invalid.

3. Its been 3 years since MMR system had any tweak or reset. Its outdated and redundant. If someone wants to exploit it, they dont even have to work for it and none of them gets any penalty whatsoever.

4. There was fair unranked to GM streams back in the day but making tens of streams daily around the world just caused the reason what they wanted to debunk as a myth.

5. The most important. No one wants to play an unbalanced match. GM belongs to GM, Diamond belongs to Diamond, Bronze belongs to Bronze. Thats why the ranking system for.

17 Likes

Cheating? No.

Deleterious to the overall game experience for those who encounter said smurf? Yes.

5 Likes

None of that has anything to do with “cheating.” I don’t think smurfing is good, but I don’t think smurfing is cheating either.

5 Likes

O mavros o arapis o RAN TAN PLAN

No
/thread

Cheating : using third party software to gain an advantage

Smurfing : playing the game twice

3 Likes

ofcourse its cheating only people that defend it likely have smurf accts also

14 Likes

According to the reporting system’s definition of cheating, it absolutely is (specifically “unfair advantage”).

16 Likes

I hate Smurfing and the resulting Throwing that goes with it. But it’s not cheating… I do consider it Gameplay Sabotage tho and report it as such.

6 Likes

It’s definitely cheating the system, circumventing it to attain unfair advantage.

10 Likes

Matchmaker enforces 50/50. It doesn’t take long for matchmaker to detect someone of a higher skill i.e a “smurf”. Most of the time a smurf is on the other team, there will be one on yours too to enforce this 50/50. - This is considered fair for the majority (but not really for the smurfs trying to rank up).
I am speaking from personal experience here, I am high masters - mid gm across all roles and have accounts in diamond that I struggle to maintain 51% win rate on as i play against other smurfs of similar ability to me on the other team regularly.
If you are losing to “smurfs” regularly you will fall into 1 of 2 categories;

1. you aren’t good enough to go up
  2. you are of a higher skill and the game gives you bad teammates and or intentionally puts you vs higher skilled players.
    Either way matchmaker is an old outdated garbage system.
1 Like

ya cheatin yoself…

Smurfing is gameplay sabotage.
At some point you have to throw to keep low or you would just have a bunch of accounts within 200sr of each other.

Blizz doesn’t seem to mind smurfing and it’s hard for us as players to actually prove. Sometimes we get salty while some enemy might be popping off and are actually our rank. I’ve been called a smurf in my own rank before.

The matchmaker putting together unbalanced games doesn’t help either.

13 Likes

Smurfing isn’t cheating but it sure as heck feels like it.

2 Likes

how isn’t it cheating? if you had a sports team and fielding a ringer that is considered cheating

4 Likes