Smurfing is Cheating According to Blizzard's own Rules

I never once blamed players for owning alt accounts. This entire thread has been about how Blizzard is being hypocritical. They claim that cheating is “engaging in any activity that grants an unfair advantage,” yet allow high-ranked players to play competitively in low-tier games.

I’m challenging Blizzard to find a way to keep people playing at - or at least close to - their actual rank, regardless what account they’re on.

That’s been my message all along. If you had read more carefully, instead of jumping to conclusions and getting angry for no reason, maybe you’d be the one looking less of a fool.

Err, no. Not at all.

In the context of the conversation I was having, we were talking about intent. Intent, and only intent. The matchmaker, mmr, and all that was entirely peripheral to that.

The conversation was that a user, intentionally circumventing proper matchmaker algorithms by throwing games or buying secondary accounts that are low rank, is a form of cheating the system. This is also because of intent. Blizzard has the intent to match you against players of similar skill (as best as it can within reason. This is important, so take note of this). There intention is expressed by the creation and implementation of the matchmaker system which analyzes your performances, rates you, and pits you against players of similar ranked skill.

Now that tidbit of “as best it can”. Previously on these forums I have stated that any system that tries to analyze and rank players on a myriad of different data points, despite possibly hundreds of thousands of variables within a match, is a marvel of modern computer coding. And it’s also not expected to be perfect or without flaws, as it’s impossible to do such things perfectly even as a human being, so forget even trying to teach a machine to do it.

So it’s the best that can be done.

This means that a player intentionally playing poorly just to get low-ranked to stomp bronze players, is circumventing the intent of Blizzard for him to not be able to do that. If they wanted such a thing to happen, they’d allow the matchmaker to do it. But they don’t. They in fact put in a system to prevent exactly that. So yes, it can be presumed to be an offense against the system they spent good time and money to develop.

A player, playing well and being placed high gold despite being GM-worthy, was not a part of the discussion I was having. Because in this case the player intent is not to circumvent the system Blizzard put into place. In this case it’s a shortcoming of the system, which the discussion of this thread indicates will get sorted out in fairly rapid fashion.

There. I’ve spelled it all out. Do you have any further questions?

I’m reporting you for having a better gaming chair than me in that case. Enjoy your account closure!

1 Like

They do not allow them too, they have no way of knowing or making any differences between the new accounts they create, that isn´t also problematic.

Blizzard has already talked about this and smurfs are really rare, alternate accounts 1 rank at or over/below their mains rank isn´t though. Which is exactly, what you state is alright tho. The evidence for the GM playerbase (<1%) to be smurfing in all the 99% of players games is just statistically not even possible nor makes any sense.

I can quote this part right here, that is you attacking players.

This whole part litterally concludes from yourself, that they are cheating, by blizzards own rules, which means they should be punished.

Yet this isn´t the truth and isn´t always smurfing, so you are actually advocating for punishments across the board, at least according to COC rules you brought up about “Cheating”.

If you have no clue what your words mean yourself, don´t post them.

This isn´t intent, you quite litterally proved that here, when you said “to say that it is only cheating if you intentionally throw games”, this line right here is you straight up saying that “it should be punishable for people to be better than their opponent, whether it is cause they actually smurfed “threw games”” Sorry buddy but i got your own quotes against you.

Cause here you again discredit any liability in the matchmaker to not be able to have enough information or data to already assess and put them in their “correct rank”. If they aren´t in their correct rank and roflstomping games, that is their fault and should be “labelled as cheating” as you confirm here

If you need help dissecting your quotes further, then please keep going, but otherwise have a good day.

“If you circumvent”. Wow, the intent was right there. You even quoted it in trying to dismiss it.

You know, you don’t have to embarrass yourself this badly trying to double-down on your original mistake. I didn’t call make fun of you or anything, I simply corrected your mistake and explained in thorough detail exactly what was going on.

Look, just erase those parts of your post and move on. Nobody cares about your original error, trotting it out repeatedly won’t make you look any better.

No, it doesn’t. And unless you can grant everyone access to a time machine allowing them to gain all the experience that smurf has attained for playing nonstop for years, it is still an unfair advantage and gameplay sabotage to try to play at a rank lower than the system would place you if you were trying.

You are just avoiding the factual proof i gave, of you ignoring intent and straight up saying that any form of roflstomping is not okay, even if the matchmaker is not accurately putting them in correct games.

That was already proven with your very own quotes.

This is a nice quote you aimed at yourself.

What you are describing here is actual smurfing and is ban able. Deliberate attempts at sub par performance is against COC, as this is throwing.

Why are you still having troubles understanding the differences.

What you did there is what is generally referred to as an “unforced error”.

You’re going to be mighty embarrassed with yourself come this time tomorrow. Until then, I think you’d be better of not posting anything until you gather yourself together and take a break from the forums. This is obviously not your day, and I’ll be optimistic and say this is probably not you at your best.

Tell that to the 1 to 3 De-rank groups I see every time I go on the Group Finder.

Okay, here’s a very real scenario for you. Say a GM plays a hero they know they suck at on a new account. And then after placements, on that new account, starts playing on a hero that they are definitely GM ranked consistently on. That’s still smurfing.

I wouldn’t. I’d just report them and avoid one of them so they’re not in my games.

If they actually are deranking and it’s noticeable enough they should easily rack up enough reports to be automatically punished.

After perusing more of the forums, I’ve concluded that your only goal is to say the exact opposite of what everyone else is saying in the hopes that you get more attention.

From here on out I’ll consider your posts as spam and spend my time responding to people with actual arguments rather than giving your attention-seeking comments the light of day.

and how do you do this

You’re asking someone on the forums to figure out how to fix a problem not even Blizzard seems to be able to do?

Our job isn’t to solve the problems, it’s to raise them up so the powers-that-be can acknowledge them and work on a solution.

Rich coming from a guy that “factually” go right against statistical evidence of origins/definitions of words. Yeah let alone even the developers themselves.

I think it really is best if you stop responding to me at all.