Smurfing is Cheating According to Blizzard's own Rules

First off all, yes smurfing is cheating (which was confirmed by blizzard several times), but you newbies keep misusing the term smurfing as it meaning anyone in a rank lower than they normally play in.

Smurfing originated in WC and only portrays players, who actively does something to influence them being matched vs new players, which in that game meant making new accounts (calling them the names of the smurf family pappasmurf etc), pretending to be bad players, play bad on purpose to then win the game later on with pure dominance, (sometimes losing some of the games on purpose).

There is only one way this equals in OW, which is buying a new account and throwing to achieve a lower rank than you would have gotten, if you weren´t deliberately performing worse.

Otherwise it is 100% fair and is the reason why blizzard does not and never will punish this (Called alternate accounts)

Please educate yourself on, what smurfing means and where it originated from OP.

So deranking is a better, more accurate word.

The word “smurf” is so nebulous.

And that’s exactly why this thread is here with all of this confusion.

Just call the problem what it is

Deranking and boosting.

It’s so easy

1 Like

Which the only way you can circumvent it, is by throwing or performing badly on purpose, which are both already banable, jeff litterally mentioned it during 2-2-2 release.

However a system not placing a t500 player in t500 instantly cause he won 10 placement matches is called a “good matchmaker”, to prevent boosted scenarios from happening. Meanwhile these players have drastically increased SR gains on wins ( i have had 100 sr wins before), if they keep up the winning and performance, the higher they go, which means they are moved out even faster.

Jeff has said this time on and on again. No reason to make terrible assertions, about something that is objectively false.

You are essentially blaming a pro sporst player, for being too good for his first other sports newbie tournament. Which isn´t his fault, but he has to start the same way everyone else does.

Exactly and the point is, deranking and boosting is already punished and against COC.

I’m doing nothing of the sort. Try not to read posts out of context.

Exactly

I just wish the word “smurf” would die, but it wont

1 Like

I’m not going to argue semantics, because I’ve summarized the problem numerous times already:

When someone buys a new account, and plays at ranks lower than their true rank, it prevents games from being fair and balanced.

You can call it smurfing, you can call it deranking/boosting, I don’t care what term you use for it.

1 Like

You absolutely were, try and understand, what you actually wrote, buddy.

"

This whole post is you explaining, what deranking and throwing is, you do not understand this and equate it to this

“It depends on if you consider being better than your opponent cheating”

Since they are not in charge of the matchmaker or can influence how they are ranked except performing worse on purpose, means that all other forms of roflstomping is them going through the matchmaker placing them, the exact way it was coded too.

Please learn to understand, what you are even posting.

IT isn´t cheating, has never been and is addressed by blizzard as being fair game.

If you wanna argue you can be mad at Blizzard/matchmaker for placing players to badly or not fixing their ranking fast enough (even when Jeff has already also addressed this a lot)

Otherwise you are not arguing anything but you being salty and blaming someone, who is doing nothing wrong and can´t influence it, what so ever (alternate accounts).

I do care, cause you are wrongly using the word Smurfing, which you should learn instead of keeping on making posts about something that already is the case (actual smurfing is banable), done deal.

it makes you seem like less of fool if you did.

Try again. Read through the entire conversation and take in the context. You have no idea what you’re even talking about. I’ll give you a hint, you’re closer to agreeing with me than you realize.

I am closer to agreeing with the point you raise, but the quote that you make it towards is a direct indication of you making a point about any forms of being better than your opponent is illegal and the OP, has made a point about this as well, your point is skewed by the fact, that you are making it towards people that quite litterally claim that being too skilled should be a ban able offense and mildly supporting it.

If you truly think only circumvention of the system should be ban able, then you should be disagreeing with the premise that OP raises as it is 100% not that.

They’re working on fixing the matchmaker and SR system. Let’s just give them some time to figure out a solution.

Hey your mouse is better, reported.
Hey you are better than me, reported.
Hey i only have 30 fps, reported.
Hey my space key is broken, reported.
Hey i can’t aim, reported.

Hey, i’m drunk, reported.

Unfair advantage = beeing better than me = unfair advantage, bc I’m not better than myself.

I couldn’t rephrase them to make them apply all the time, its not super easy, unlessüyou remove the advantage part and call it, not using anything outside the overwatch game code and your personal skill.

Just look at me, i litteraly want to throw but i can’t, i always give everything.

I litteraly dropped from high plat to mid gold and i bet you, that playing a bit more comp, i would climb like a smurf.
Its simply due to my terrible consistency.

I can play like a diamond or even beat diamonds.
But never can i do this every game.
Some games are litteraly mid-low gold in performance and i know that i played terrible.

But i can’t just flip a switch and be consistent. :sweat_smile: I wish i could.

4 Likes

being better than you isn’t cheating.

the game has mmr for a reason.

you cant stop mmr from going up.

even if you buy a new account and place low you will go up.

being better isn’t an unfair advantadge. Its just they are better than you.

an unfair advantadge are things like wall hacks like aim bot those types of things.

there is nothing “unfair” about the player being better than you.

1 Like

If people take it word by word, they can define anything as a unfair advantage, bc they don’t look at it from a dev pov.

Its honestly just comon sense to follow the rules.

I play since beta and never had 1 action against me.

1 Like

and honestly who smurfs anymore for any reason other than to learn a new hero?

like the only reason I could see smurfing being a thing is to learn new heros.

2 Likes

But it wouldn’t really be smurfing…
Kinda but kinda not.

But i agree

The problem is that matchmaking is determining your skill overall not your ability in individual scenarios.

Some players have far higher mechanical ability than they do decision making (and vice versa).

This leads to a big perception problem where two accurately placed individuals would each seem bad to each other.

The good mechanical player would see the strategic player and say “he can’t aim, he doesn’t belong here”

The good strategic player would see the mechanical player and say “He is constantly making poor choices, he doesn’t belong here”

Add that to the fact that players can also just have bad games, normally decent player gets ruffled and has a bad game. Most players see that and think “he doesn’t belong here” rather than “ah, bad game for him”

1 Like

Add to that someone like me who is just bad and need to be carred as dps to win.

Smurfing and throwing arw two different things. I don’t even bat an eye at smurfs. Odds are the majority of smurfs arent even that good