Skill differences between ranks

High res no, low ping no, but high frame rate yes absolutely.

Indeed, good enough to be better than a cross section of people bad enough to tilted about it. I’d agree with that assessment of gold. You see the dial being turned up on ‘git gud’ as you go up through silver to gold.

You’re just objectively wrong on this one.

The hardware isn’t a matter of opinion.

Sorry.

In a game where ties go to the player with the lowest ping, you can’t say it doesn’t matter. And high res makes headshots easier.

Eh PC problems. Play on console and all you have to worry about is a good internet connection and keyboard and mouse Cough cheaters coughs

1 Like

High res means smaller models on your screen. This is why csgo pros, who have to aim at much smaller player models, use very low resolution.

Also, overwatch is a low tick rate game. Between the 17ms between ticks, and favor the shooter, ping does not affect you unless you are getting to 70+ ms ping.

By far and away, the most impactful hardware is your monitor refresh rate. Everything else is negligible.

You said it yourself 70+ms ping.

I’ll agree that framerate is the most important.

But I’ve definitely experienced hundreds of times where a hit didn’t register because of the order in which the server received the actions.

I definitely agree that very high ping is bad, no question. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing (eg 70+ might be noticeable, but 40 is probably OK)

Also those no regs you mention probably have more to do with the game only being 60 tick

I think there is still a function of first past the post actions. Two headshots, mouse clicked simultaneously in the real world, player observes a headshot, hears the clink of a critical hit, and then dies and sees the other player take no damage in the kill cam.

As for DPI, I think you have a valid point, but to me a smaller in the real world sprite on screen with greater DPI actually looks larger to me because it’s clearer. So even if the head is 1mm at a high DPI but 1.5mm at a low DPI, my brain and visual acuity will be more sharply focused with the better DPI. I used to retouch photos and do graphics on computers, so I have seen this in other settings as well.

Yea true, I’ve noticed that in OW people tend to use native res. I always use native res, and didn’t like low res settings in csgo. For reference, the best csgo player in the world, s1mple, uses 1280x960!

As you get further and further from the center of the bellcurve (which is about 2200-2800), the difference in skill becomes exponentially different compared to the actual SR differences.

Speaking from personal experience:

For the most part, Platinums/Golds are almost identical outside the borderline Diamond/Silver players, since that’s where most people sit. The difference between getting mid-Plat and mid-Gold is nothing but luck.

Borderline Master Diamonds (3400+) players are significantly better than borderline Platinum Diamonds (>3100). The difference between low Diamonds and High Diamonds is repeated in Master about every 200ish SR (so there’s approximately the same distance between a low diamond and high diamond as there is in a 3600 and 3800 player and a 3800 and 4k) and the skill difference between SR gaps becomes larger and larger the higher you get. A semi-pro (who often sit around 4300-4400) are worlds ahead of a regular GM, and a A list pro (who are often 4600+) are worlds ahead of semi-pros.

So you would say you can climb out of gold into plat with little effort, but climbing to diamond will be hard in comparison?

I wouldn’t say little effort, just that if you’re hovering between say, 2300-2700, you can float up or down several hundred SR even if you play at the exact same skill-level for all those games. Unless you’re massively better (or worse) than that group of players, climbing out is pretty much luck in getting better teams.

The SR levels where you can play the exact same and either not fall or climb out of that bracket are far smaller the higher you go. (Cannot speak for lower).

FWIW in my experience, the main difference between a Plat and Diamond typically isn’t mechanical skill, it’s communication and coordination, which is why the gap between low and high diamond players is pretty significant since that’s where skill gaps in mechanics tend to show.

That’s not how resolution works. 3D projection is not like the desktop where unscaled 2D elements appear smaller at higher resolutions. The projected 3D models will be transformed to the exact same physical size at every resolution on the same display.

It certainly helps, but low ping is not a requirement. There are some amazing players like Kabaji who was one of the best Tracers in top500 playing at 150ms latency. You just have to know how to deal with your limitations and play smarter to offset that limitation.

1 Like

I can typically feel the difference every 300-400 SR. So high plat has better players than low plat. High diamond better than low diamond, etc. That being said, it is often subtle things and not super dramatic for each raise up. But you can definitely tell a difference.

I can only speak for Plat - GM, as those are the ranks I have played hundreds of games with. Awkward’s assessment, in a rough sense, rings true. The skill gap matters a lot more on the high and low ends, such is the nature of a natural distribution.

MMR has a lot to do with consistency. Low ranks can play like high, high ranks can play like lows, inconsistently. This is why you’ll see a low rank freak out about what he pulled off, or see a high rank hold his head in his hands and say “Oh my god, I am so boosted”.

This can be seen more easily at the extreme ends of the distribution. I, quite literally, vary in SR-capability by 250 points. Did I sleep well? Is my hand-eye coordination good today? Am I in a proper mood? There exists a 500 SR wide band of physical capability for me, sitting at roughly 3800 hardstuck masters. I have had enough time and played enough seasons differently to know by experimentation. There are seasons I played whenever I wanted, and seasons where I regimented myself to training sessions before I played to assess if today was “a good day”.

MMR is an equation of positioning and aim. Effectively, all other factors are just forms of these two acts. However, MMR is not a single instance, it is positioning and aim over time.

as someone who has gone fromsilver to masters with 30fps 120ping on a laptop, i can safely say hardware does not ‘worth a tier or two’. Higher framrate makes the game look nicer, but won’t change your sr more than 50, unless you go from something unplayable to decent.

That is correct, but a lot of people can make a lot of great changes on most systems to improve. Check out my guide here on that:

I don’t think it is linear.

I think the role queue system has put people in off-role ranks they don’t belong (I have a friend that placed Diamond for DPS) but can’t win a duel against gold players.

I will say that you can tell the difference when you are high and low in that rank if that is your skill level.

When I was in low gold, I found that I was consistently outplayed by high gold DPS and vice Versan.

Met a torb their once that wouldn’t shoot anything instead body blocked his turret all game and hammered it constantly.

That strategy is best with a pocket mercy, also body blocked by Torb. :ok_hand: