Simple Explanation of Why Pros Are Testing Out OW2 Tomorrow

Andy, on the discussion of feedback. Can you say if it is still the philosophy of the dev team that they take into account these three factors when determine balance changes overall:

• Player feedback across all ranks
  • Statistical performance of heroes at pro level and grandmaster play
  • Developer team insights

I know this was something former Game Director Jeff Kaplan discussed at length on the old forums. (I really need to finish the old forum archives…)

13 Likes

But, it has been leaked before that quite a few balance changes are made solely for OWL players. Remember Zen’s right click getting nerfed because of JJonak?

Overwatch is an OWL player’s job. They will do anything it takes to maintain the status quo of what strategies should be meta as they have the most time invested in it.

11 Likes

I hope however way brigitte will be reworked will reflect this because right now, outside of if the player has reflex memories with her she isn’t exactly at her best state and the last buff she remotely got was reverted insanely quickly.

Difference here is the regular playbase dont have their paychecks on the line.

7 Likes

It would be nice to know much feedback is weighted. It is frustrating to be a lower ranked player that loves a certain hero (and where metas don’t really exist) and have your favorite nerfed because it was overperforming in OWL/GM. A few of my favorite characters in OW became far more difficult to play, if not unusable due to changes like this.

4 Likes

Can confirm.

Geoff: Add stats to that list as well (sic; metrics, analytics, etc…)

27 Likes

Well, my usual concern on this issue, is that I’m completely stumped on how they make Hammond balanced such that

1. He’s not godtier overpowered in the top 3% of players, with the lack of CC in the game. (Especially dependant on how harsh this Hack nerf is).
  2. While also making sure he’s not an automatic defeat within the first 5 seconds of the game for the bottom 95%.

Pros obviously have a good idea how to solve #1. But I can guess that most don’t even comprehend that #2 would be a problem.

Since unlike Healing, or Damage, other teammates aren’t going to be able to supplement a lack of Tanking. Especially since there’s no second tank player to Fill if the tank player picks “the wrong tank.”

8 Likes

Since 32859987 people are probably going to ask you a question, I just have a quick one for you, are you looking at making balance patches shifted towards fun rather than balance? It’s been nice having a balanced game, but I’d really love it if there were some more fun changes added for specific heroes to lighten up the game a little bit.

5 Likes

Thank you very much!

9 Likes

And now I’m hungry for fast food.

1 Like

In my personal experience, the answer is “it depends”.

I’ll fall back on what I said about having an understanding of the bigger picture. Because live operations are very dynamic in nature, feedback can be weighted differently in different scenarios.

20 Likes

Fair enough for me.

:+1:

3 Likes

Perhaps wont fully answer the question but i would assume potentially 5-6 new heroes will alone shake up the game quite a bit to begin with.

1 Like

I just want to know whether dva is going to get hard nerfed or not yet again into an unplayable state because OWL pros love to play dva and it bleeds into dev balance decisions, where they balance heroes around owl so much that the hero becomes unplayable outside of owl.

Aka, if we stopped balancing around unreasonable pro player gameplay expectations for rest of the game, that would be great.

But seeing as they get to play the game first and give their feedback on it… I don’t have much hopes for that happening.

4 Likes

YourOverwatch during OWL presentation gave the Greatest Idea ever • Tournament Mode for everyone to play NOT in the OWL

I hope one of the Devs paid attention cuz that’s one of the best ideas I ever heard suggested

Not to mention the ratio of new heroes relative to their role. (3 new tanks and supports, 2 new tank/dps/sup, etc…)

True! I mean for OW1 tho, (I am extremely excited about OW2 though). Just some changes in general to make the game more fun. Even through buffs, or changes to specific heroes. I’m glad this game is balanced, but I really wish we could get some more changes directed more towards the fun department.

1 Like

Nah, Zarya will get her area bubble from the 1-3-2 experiment.

:smiling_imp:

2 Likes

It was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away…

2 Likes

can you tell geoff to delete tracer

2 Likes