Sim spikes when using voice commands

Hi, so i have extensively tested this both on live and PTR.

My findings are akin to the “kill feed SIM spike bug” anytime I or a team member uses a voice command that also appears in the chat box (Such as “Hello”) the right SIM number will spike up. (The number is consistent each time within a few 0.1 of each other.)

This is a massive issue particulary for hitscan players as it changes the way the mouse feels constantly and makes muscle memory almost impossible.

The issue is NOT present when voice commands that do not appear in the chat box are used. Such as the 4 we get to pick ourselves (“Next round’s on me” -McCree) for example.

I have tested this for a good hour now in the training room with a wide variety of FPS values + a mix of reduce buffering on & off.

Test bench being as follows.
8700k @ 5.1 ghz (45 degrees under gaming load)
GTX 1080TI @ 2100MHZ (50 degrees under gaming load)
Team group ddr4 16gb @ 3200mhz
Samsung Evo 960 pro m2.ssd
Sound blaster ZXR internal sound card.
Benq 2540 240 hz monitor.

Results are as follows.
Standard SIM value at 300 fps = 3.3
When voice command is used the right side SIM value jumps consistently to 6.8-7.3. reproduced every single time with each voice command which appears in the text box.

Lowering the FPS value to “140” which is roughly 7.0 SIM value I noticed odd behavior in that when the voice command was used again the right side SIM value would go even higher now at the 8.3-8.6 range.

Conclusion: - Something really is not right with your game Engine.
At least with the Kill feed sim spikes you can lower the fps to about 150 and each time the kill feed pops up your input lag will remain stable. However this is not the case with the sound-text voice bug.

There is no avoiding this issue. Muting character voice chat does nothing.
Hiding the HUD completely again does nothing.

6 Likes

blizzard please fix this…

bump?

So do you limit your FPS to 150?

Bump still not fixed at present.

Nor is the kill feed sim spike issue.

I still haven’t gotten a friend request from you :’( forte#11926. can you just add me on discord? Lewison#5464

I have done a LOT of experimentation since we last talked. I have even upgraded to windows 1803 (which I heard gives better performance but I kinda regret it since I could easily get 300fps constant anyway), used stuff like Process Lasso in bitsum mode, disabled onboard sound and got a usb sound card, got an additional pci-e usb 3.1 to give my mouse a separate irq?, experimented with bios settings (currently turning off speedshift and speedstep and turning off Cstates and enabling turbo mode), O&O ShutUp10 software to turn off every single bloat in Win10, etc. I think with Windows 1703, it takes a longer time to get SIM spikes, but it will inevitably happen. With my current set up I absolutely HAVE to restart OW every match or sometimes at the half. There’s time to restart OW even if you’re on a KOTH map like Lijiang. Toggling reduce buffering off/on doesn’t work.

I’m actually on nvidia fast vertical sync (i really dont’ like tearing and I’m not quite sure I experience any more lag with it on) and 240hz monitor, and currently have fps limited to display (so 250ish). Using “Timer Tool by Tebjan Halm” which I think helps with my latency. With fast vertical sync on I think it’s maybe easier to hit targets that are A-D spamming… I’ve also had good success with custom 300fps limit…i dunno my brain is fried at this point.

The problem with this is not just SIM spikes in game due to voicelines, etc, but also the bad timing/latency/no-idea how to describe in Windows. I absolutely have to turn off HPET in Windows, and unfortunately don’t have the option to do so in my Bios. I might go back to windows 1703 but for now as long as I restart OW every single match I’m OK (which to me means I can hit Pine-like flick headshots relatively consistently…and I think I should be able to do so since I have almost 20 years of AWP one-trick experience in CS/CSGO). Please add me on discord and let’s continue the conversation. Too often I’m changing too many things at once and not knowing what’s hurting or helping my performance.

As a reminder, I have i7-8700k OC’ed to 5.0ghz (easy bios “extreme tuning” and no other OC software used), 16gb 3200mhz RAM (with xmp enabled), 1080TI, and a budget motherboard which I regret (Asus Z370-a pro) since I don’t have all the options I am reading about such as hpet, hxci usb, etc. Using Logitech g pro mouse, and don’t even use the nice bluetooth wireless headset I have to minimize usb devices. I have just my mouse, keyboard (rgb keyboard bad???), and the Roccat usb soundcard.

I have pending friend requests for you for both my accounts.

As for 1803 don’t use it use 1709.

I will add you on discord i guess.

Have you Tried disabling Dynamic tick and used the program “timer resolution” to see your windows timer.

Also download latencymon & have it running whilst you play overwatch to rule out some other things.

Asus mobo’s don’t have HPET by default but disable it in windows anyway.

Personally i would never use vertical sync ever period. Even with “fast” it adds input lag which defeats the object of having a fast response time 240hz.

I have managed to fix my issues almost completly save for the problems which occur thanks to the game engine it’self. (8700k@5.2 1080ti@2150 16 gbddr4@3200.)

Your problem could actually be your mouse hz if you use 500hz on 240hz monitor u will have screentearing/stutters. Use 1000hz.

I have OC’ed manually to 5.0 and 1.29V

It feels better IMO but I absolutely get fps drops (and higher sim spikes up to 10 or more) by the 3rd map of a control map. What can it be? I can just restart it mid match and the fps is back to 299-300. or 298-299.

I am watching my thermal throttling and it’s not throttling

I think I’m experiencing the exact same issue right now! Did you ever manage to solve it?