Should SR be preserved if you lag out of a competitive match?

In my own personal experience, I have went down from 2968 to 2798 due to server disconnection. I know this is a problem with the internet I have and that should be fixed but on the other hand, not many people can afford to have a different internet company and they want to climb to higher ranks. They cannot however because no matter how the algorithms see it, if you leave a game due to any reason at all, you will be penalized for it. I now have a 1 hour and 40 minute suspenision because of this and I see it as unjust and unfair. And Im sure there are others who experience the same problems and get upset and even leave the game entirely because of this, so if you are seeing this Blizzard, at least think about this.

1 Like

pretty much the stupidest thing ive read all week

If your connection might unduly disadvantage your team by leaving them down a man, you should stick to quickplay, which has a backfill system for that very reason.

1 Like

No.
If your connection is bad dont play comp.
You are ruining the match for 5 other people on your team

1 Like

How would they tell if you legitimately lagged out, or purposefully lagged out to save the SR? Furthermore, how is that fair to your teammates, who will still lose SR? If THEY don’t lose SR, then the winning team cannot gain SR (over time this would throw off the rank balance), so how is that fair to them?

There is no way around it… if you lag out, you must lose SR normally.

Blizzard cant see if it was an intentional DC or not. they have to treat everything as the same so people wont abuse it

In rocket league if you leave, it says [playername] left the game. But if you disconnect, it says [playername] disconnected. So they’re must be a way to see if you disconnected or left.

In order to work I need reliable tools. In order to play overwatch you need reliable internet. If you lag out you deserve to be penalized

Nope. Because if they do decide to not punish dc’s then people will just turn off their computer/console or turn off their internet which is indistinguishable from a legit dc.

Damn, way to resurrect a dead post.
There are ways to emulate accidentally disconnecting from your internet.

The reason Rocket League can distinguish between a player leaving and disconnecting is because clicking the leave button sends a message to the server. Your game basically sends an explanation to the server before you disconnect, so the server knows that you chose to leave.
Without that explanation, the server has no way of knowing why you disconnected. All it knows is that you did.

Problem is, there’s no way to detect why you’ve disconnected until after you’ve disconnected.
And if you’re disconnected from the server, there’s no way for you to send messages to the server. So even if it was possible to diagnose why you disconnected, there would be no way to explain that to the server.

2 Likes

Tbh I think losing 50 SR is too much. As said before, if no one lost sr, the sr system would be unbalanced so even if you leave I think you should only lose 20 sr. Maybe 30 sr if people are just leaving to prevent that.
Another option but less popular option is if someone leaves or disconnects, the leaver loses the sr, whilst everyone else participating in that game neither gains nor loses sr, however this is fairly flawed and this option would need work