Should one tricking be a bannable offence in Ranked?

This is such a heated topic.

Personally, I feel like players who one trick are severely limiting their own gaming experience, and they’re so selfish that they don’t realize that those same limiting experiences are being thrown onto your teammates. Your teammates now have to accommodate the one-trick by picking heroes that compliment their one-trick choice if they want to win. That to me seems very narrow-minded and unfair.

On the flipside, people can get by one-tricking certain heroes, because those heroes are versatile and overall useful (e.g. Mercy, Zenyatta, D.Va). So, particularly heroes that are flexible enough to work with a variety of team compositions.

But then heroes like Torbjorn and Symmetra are just overall not good in a lot of situations. They NEED to be accommodated, which people don’t like.

So going back to my main point: why limit your own gaming experience by only playing one hero? You might as well go play a single player game if you want to only play one person. I just want someone to provide more insight on this mindset that doesn’t scream “selfish narcissist”.

8 Likes

So pretty much everything that is not meta means ban then.

7 Likes

Easy answer and not ‘selfish narcissist’ I play D’va and only D’va as I’m “OK” with D’va and not “horrible” like I am with any other hero. I can a) play D’va and be semi-helpful to the team or b) play any other hero and have everyone accuse me of throwing the match (which let’s be honest by playing another hero I am).

Maybe once I go from being 'OK" with D’va to “good” with D’va then I’ll work on another hero.

I just simply posed a question and wanted to see the communities response. i have my own opinion, but i dont think its necessary.

The versatility ends up becoming a double edged sword.

On the one hand you get way more exprience with a hero. On the other side it makes said player more predictable to enemies. There is also the thoery that not every hero works on every map the same way they might do on Route66 compared to Eichinwalde.

So while it comes with advantages most ingame will be outweighted by disadvantages.

The biggest reason one tricking is popylar is because it is still used today to climb ladder and lose less SR.

If they only play one hero and refuse to work with their team then yes

Yes.

Twenty characters.

1 Like

Because I want to get better at this particular hero.

You see those crazy shots done by Pine, Carpe, Fleta, or Linkzr? People want to be able to perform the same thing they do, so they practice and practice non-stop for that.

Unfortunately, it takes time to get there. So while you call it limiting, I see it as part of it and simply getting there.

I suppose it fits under selfish narcissist for your definition but I want to be like those people who I idolized or good as them.

When you’re new to the game and a lower level it’s completely normal to focus on only one or two heroes. When I first started playing I focused on mainly Junkrat and Reinhardt. I got good with them, I ventured to other heroes.

It’s completely normal to want to master a hero to your best ability. That’s fine. I advocate it. But at some point, it is highly encouraged to try out other heroes in case your team needs you to fill, or if overall you’re struggling on your current hero.

You’re not one-tricking if you’re just trying to get good with someone. One-tricking is the refusal to play anyone else and only wanting to play one person, no matter the situation, with the intent to not want to learn anyone else.

That is not at all what I get from their ideal game. They’ve said it themselves numerous times that some heroes are designed to fulfill a specific role and that’s it. Torbjorn will not be as affective on attack against a Rein/Orissa combo in the same sense that a Winston will have issues dealing with a Reaper. Characters have counters inherently designed into their kit for this reason. That is why we have the ability to swap heroes on the fly.

2 Likes

I’m not blaming anyone for the rank I am at?
Also you’ve apparently completely missed the point of my entire argument because you one trick Mercy, who has been top tier pick forever. I was not literally referring to ‘you’ the mercy one trick, but ‘you’ the general one trick population.

I guess try reading over my comment again because I’m not really sure what to say if you can’t see my point already. It’s pretty clear (but that didn’t stop you from ignoring it the first go).

The MMR system is overall not good. People have stated multiple times that they are Diamond on one account, but high Silver on another account.

How does that work? So to your point, yeah I can see why people want to one-trick when the MMR system is clearly struggling.

1 Like

I dont know where this “As a one trick I DEMAND you play around me” mindset comes from, ive never asked someone to switch, never expected teams to conform around me. I just look at what team we have and Ill do my absolute best to get the very best out of it, to make it work, the same goes if its an “strange” comp, in fact, those are the games I tend to enjoy more as I try to adjust myself and my game-play to make it work.

Its all about having a positive attitude and having a determination to keep improving as a player to be the best you can be, that alone can get you pretty far, rather then look around for others to blame. “Well we lost because THAT guy picked this hero, or THAT guy played badly”

In terms of your main point of why limit your own gaming experience, its actually rather simple, I enjoy a certain one hero WAY more then any of the others, to the point where yeah, if said hero didnt exist, I would of quit this game a LONG time ago, if I enjoy one hero way more then the rest why am I going to force myself to game-play I dont like just for the sake of forced variety?

7 Likes

Sorry for the spam, but here’s what I said to someone else. It kind of works as a good response to your reply.

The original question was should One Tricks be banned from RANKED. You can still practice in QP, Custom games, other game modes, if you want to improve on a character.

If you want to be good one a niche of heroes, one trick a role like Tank, or Support. then you wouldn’t be limited to 1 hero if you need to switch.

4 Likes

You play a one trick that’s more in demand than most. Mercy is pretty much alright in most comps but you get a one trick torb, sym, bastion, etc and the comp kinda has to be based around them to be viable

3 Likes

True enough now, but back in season 2+3 mercy was awful in the higher ranks, and very much as out of the meta as you can get. I know what its like to be in that position but my mindset has always been the same.

Because learning and putting hours into other heroes, to a certain rank, takes time.

Time that I can put into practicing and learning more on the main hero I chosen, and getting into bad situations is where I can understand and adapt to bad scenarios. Its harsh, tough, and maybe unfair at times, but I still learn from it.

Ok but it still doesn’t change that fact that it makes your team play around you. It’s not as pronounced in your character but others are very stationary and one tricks force that playstyle on their team

3 Likes

If you think that if a player should be banned for playing off-meta heroes. your wrong. in the developers eyes all characters are meta. saying that they see a meta means that they are forcing metas and making certain characters unplayable.

Take Fuey500. He is a Torb one trick. an amazing torb, but a torb one-trick no the less.

Stevoo is a Sym one-trick. Great player, but a one-trick regardles.

I dont care if your a tracer one trick, mercy one trick, torb, zen, or brigitte.