Should MMR be visible to players?

Should matchmaking rating or hidden scoring functions be visible to the player?

2 Likes

Yes. I’d like to immediately know when a match is rigged in either direction.

15 Likes

Is openness and transparency important to you as a competitive player?

Does the system have greater credibility when a player is able to see their own MMR?

1 Like

nah we don’t need to see all the innerworkings of everything. Our rank is good enough

1 Like

You would just see similar numbers for everybody

The problem isn’t the actual rating…it’s that defining people with a number is a laughable exercise and it’s easily manipulated

You would just ask how the 10 people in the match have similar mmr’s…just like you do now

I don’t think it really matters, as rank and mmr should be very close to each other.

Not really, thats the whole point.
Its amazing that many people dont realize that internal MMR is something that PREVENTS boosting and many other “tricks” to gain rank.

You can see afterwards if you were the underdog and why you are getting more or less points now so yeah, not necessary.

No.

Agree. There’s no value in having it available, if like they say they are closely aligned.

If you’re Gold 3 and find out your MMR is -0.02… there’s Zero you can do with that information.

It will just be another thing that some of us will cry “rigged” towards

2 Likes

Is transparency important for a competitive system in your view?

Do hidden metrics undermine player trust in the system?

1 Like

As this thread is trying to do. All the questions being asked are deliberately leading rather than an open survey

Also, look at all the confusing around the modifiers. They are a fairly simple mechanic that have been in play for years, but giving them names and showing them in action has utterly bamzooled some people. To the point, where it probably wasn’t worth doing it. MMR will most likely be the same.

1 Like

I already explained my point mate, so those questions are outside my point.

1 - There is enough transparency now, yes.
2 - Not really, it all depends on the balance between what you can see and what you can’t see. Its not an “all or nothing” matter.

It should but it won’t happen because it will expose the bad matchmaking and boosted high ranked players.

2 Likes

Rigged systems typically imply one or multiple hidden or nefarious element(s).

Wouldn’t visible MMR go some way to restore player trust?

How do you quantify enough transparency?

Wouldn’t more transparency increase the level of trust - at least for actual competitive players?

Probably why they hide it, they dont want us to further bash a system that has never really worked since day 1.

1 Like

I think most players agree it’s not a perfect system and probably don’t distrust the ranking system. I’d guess many players think their rating is about accurate to their skill.

Maybe I have survivorship bias in that I slowly saw my rank and skill improve over time so don’t really have any frustrations with the system

1 Like

I think this is the thing, if your skill improves over time and you see steady progress, you’re less likely to look for issues that aren’t there.

If you’re not improving, but think you should be higher … then there are suddenly issues they can come up with.

1 Like

If MMR was visible to the player somehow players would twist it into proof that the game is rigged and they are actually OWCS skilled players but are stuck in bronze 5 because rigged :cry:

1 Like

Is the possibility of misinterpretation sufficient justification to withhold information?

Should the scoreboard be removed on this basis?

Would doing so increase, reduce or have no effect upon player confidence?

In my opinion, its not about viewing the numbers but more about the matchmaking algorithm.

I don’t really care about seeing my rank/MMR is I have 3 “expected”/“reversal” games in a row, you know…
Its not about seeing what ranks are your mates but more about “why I’m put with those people who are under/over me ?”

People would claim to want to see the numbers cause its obvious that devs won’t give away their algorithm (. So with numbers, people would try to understand the algorithm.