Short: Why is everyone so against soldier being gay

When a lesbian is attracted to women she does things however she pleases. You’re under the pretenses that, at all times, one is looking to outwardly present their sexuality to others- which simply isn’t true. I’ve got to get to class, not onto a woman, I have a life besides girls. If I were a lesbian, the thought of cutting my hair short and wearing studded leather jackets to attract a partner would be a possible secondary consideration, not a primary goal. But just as many lesbians keep their hair long, wear simple toned cloth, and shave their legs, as lesbians who go for a butchier look. What you’re saying seems to be a gross oversimplification of people down to base elements that have different contexts which don’t always neatly overlap with aspects of their identity.

Soldier has no obligation visually signify, in any manner, his orientation.

What we’re talking about occurs naturally. Sexuality is one of the many aspects of a person that influences the choices they make. It doesn’t influence everything, but it does influence enough to be noticeable.

I’m not sure why everyone seems so intent on ascribing bigotry to my argument. Do you think there’s something wrong with someone showing signs of their sexual preference? Even if they don’t intend to?

Nothing wrong with it, it’s just that it doesn’t always happen. Sexuality isn’t always that obvious. Not even to gay people who live in Minnesota or wherever your friends are from.

I’d like to make sure I understand something before we continue. If Tracer wore combat boots, shaved the hair off one side of her head, pierced her eye brows, and carried a wallet would that make her a stereotype?

In my opinion, I don’t like thinking about the sexual implications for any of the characters, I find 76 compelling because of his choice to fight in the face of losing everything including his identity, I don’t give 2 craps about who he is clapping cheeks with because that’s not an important part of his conviction to fight and do what is right.

Sexuality is an important aspect of any character. Who they would choose to be romantic with can be as important as the weapons they choose and the skills they learn.

And this is coming from someone who believes Soldier was not gay at his creation but made gay for reasons that are invalid and unethical by virtue of being political.

I guess I can see kind of where you are coming from, my point was it doesn’t change the character for me, he is still a beast with a cool back story, the romance is so small that it almost doesn’t exist. The point of the character as I said before is that he lost everything, including his identity as jack and whoever he did love, but still goes forward. To me his story is one that elevates the best parts of a vigilante behind the reasoning of fighting for what is important to us. This game is about overwatch, a group of amazing people with different skills, I would argue who they have romance with is 1000 times less important then the skills/weapons they choose to learn as it’s those skills that make them worthy of being labelled a great, and who they love has nothing to do with that. Also by any argument wouldn’t making any gay character be political because at some point it’s a choice that is made by someone.

IMO i think people wanted a hero to be openly introduced from the start of the series or hero intros that did it this way. Not just had a character that turns around and suddenly they change the story line. Thats my understanding.

what

2 Likes

Same reason why Torb revealed to have a wife and many children? Big deal.

1 Like

Not just the short. They have pictures together. One of them being on Ashe’s bike. I wouldn’t put a picture of me and a friend together on a motorcycle unless that relationship was truly significant. Like a romantic relationship. That’s a big sign right there.

1 Like

I have a big family. Having a big family can be seen as wasteful, a burden on resources, selfish, whatever you want to call it. Torb has a big family. Shall I start posting in forums to ask for characters with more big families to make me feel better as a person? Because sometimes I do feel irresponsible, but why should I care what people think. I don’t know them, they don’t know me. Even if I did, as long as they don’t cause problems for me or my family, I don’t care.

Let me put it to you like this.

McCree is black. He was always black. Sure he doesn’t have dark skin, but that’s just because he doesn’t adhere to black stereotypes like having dark skin. There are certain people who always suspected he was black, and those people also believe the world will end if the candidate they don’t want is elected president. Blizzard absolutely did not retcon this because someone pointed out there wasn’t an African American character yet.

I hope this helps you understand.