Short: Why is everyone so against soldier being gay

It buffles me how much people complain about him being gay or make jokes about other chars that need to be transgender or something else.

I myself am gay and I’m not showing anyone that i am, you wouldn’t notice if you would stand right infront of me, so why exactly is it a problem for soldier to not look like a classic gay.
You can buy that pink skin if you want him to look gay. And BTW: I don’t like him just cause he is gay now :smiley:

The thing is: You shouldn’t care and you shouldn’t force stereotypes on someone you do not know, gay is not what you think, it’s the same as straight, just with a little twist in it, that isn’t changing the person behind it :wink:

I also really dislike how you want every char now to have a romance… espaccily a gay one. That’s pretty toxic.

A little quote from forum:

There is no evidence needed :smiley: You don’t need it on me, you don’t need it on him. Why do gays need to defend or reveal them at all?

20 Likes

The reason many people are mad is because he was an existing hero. I’d be happy to have a new hero be gay, but i don’t like them using existing heroes. They threw it out there in an attempt to look more “inclusive” or whatever.

36 Likes

i don’t think so. They knew already much ealrier. They said it 2016 already that there is another one in the roster being gay.
And i don’t feel more inclusive with this ;D

WE need to stop acting like gay is a minority that needs help.,

8 Likes

They did that in case they had to reveal another one.

2 Likes

nope :smiley: they know what they do. You just don’t like the idea, your problem.

3 Likes

Like i said, i’m not against the idea of characters being gay. I don’t like the idea of existing characters being suddenly revealed as gay without any buildup or backstory.

12 Likes

Pretty much how I feel. It really just felt like “Alright let’s pick a random hero to not be straight” at this point.

I’d also prefer newer heroes to be ‘different’ rather than an existing hero randomly selected. I’m all for diversity and gay heroes, but this particular lore just felt weird.

May as well make roadhog a vegan and McCree start vaping.

10 Likes

why do they need buildup or anything else? He wouldn’t need if he was straight or?

12 Likes

It feels forced upon, especially since a relationship with ana was possible in the past.

2 Likes

but you realize that you just want a justifiaction for something natural :smiley: Being Gay is not something new or different. IT shouldn’t be in need for a justifiaction. I also hate that outing thing, i don’t need to out me as straight, why exactly as gay?

13 Likes

But Overwatch lore is slow as it is, its not like they rewrote what already was in an attempt pander to the gay community. No information prior to this had any details about soldier and his past relationships. It was mentioned in a very, casual and non nonchalant way as it should be, there doesn’t have to be some big dramatic reveal for a characters sexuality.

13 Likes

They didn’t just hastily and suddenly decide to write in that Soldier is gay. They knew Vincent was a character since 2016 as shown in the Reflections comic. They don’t just throw random characters in random places just in case they might want to “make” characters gay in the future.

Like, would you be okay with them making existing heroes straight?

10 Likes

I feel like your twisting his words.

Jaek said that it feels forced… but you say you shouldn’t use it as a justification?

What’s your angle?

3 Likes

I mean yeah they did. Was there dialogue between soldier and vincent in more than one occasion?

Did you read the next part of my post?

5 Likes

The fact is, this is a game. Not real life.

If overwatch was real and soldier was gay. No one would care. It’s just who he is.

But if a character is gay in a game, story, movie. That means a conscious decision was made in a meeting to make him gay. And to deny the reason that decision was made is foolish.

No matter how you look at it. It was a pr stunt. An agenda. If I was apart of the lgbq, I’d be angry about how a company uses my groups’ sexuality as a tool.

7 Likes

they asked for evidence for the story. it actually has to do more with bad world building. soldier did looked at a photo in the previous comic, it could have been interpreted either way yes, but anything else, the way he talks, the way he acts, his conservative beliefs, it points to the contrary to what it is now. it makes it look unrealistic and that’s the reason people its pointing to it as being fake or forced, and thus, just for a pr stunt. that makes it hard to believe a story.
for me, in this specific context, it certainly deviates the plot. now nobody talks about ana’s short comic but just this. soldier could have been gay all along, just as ana being straight (or anything else for the matter), but, then again for a comic like this, why do we need to know anyones sexuality if it means it will be a distraction to the plot? for me at least, they could have done something like the tracer christmas comic to reveal it (although yeah it would have been drama either way for what i said, Jack is not the kind of person to fit that so it would have made people raise an eyebrow anyway. at least that is what devs and people in general should expect).

5 Likes

Why does it feel forced? Cause you guys want a justification for it. He can’t be just gay :wink: that’s my angle

2 Likes

That’s actually a good point. Why can’t characters just be gay? Why does there have to be a reason to make them gay?

It doesn’t actually. Stop stereotyping.

1 Like

Imagine if they revealed Mccree to be straight, wait nobody would care.

3 Likes