Shield Nerf Ideas

Beams:

• All beams can go trough shields. But do 66% less damage when they go through shields.

For example: Symmetra beam does 60/120/180 damage. 66% less damage is 24/40.8/61. The “average” dps primary is 71 damage for reference.

For example 2: zarya does 95 damage at 0%. 170 damage at 100%. 66% less damage is 32.3 to 57.8.

For Example 3: Echo does 50/200 beam damage. 66% less damage is 17 to 68.

Bastion Ultimate:

• Bastion Tank Ultimate can go trough shields. When he shoots trough a shield, he does 71 direct damage. His ultimate does 205 direct damage when not going through shields (this is his normal ultimate damage btw).

Reaper’s passive:

• Reaper gains health from damaging shields.
  • 30% from enemies currently.
  • 10% from shields.

Sombra hack & ultimate:

• Sombra can hack shields. She doesn’t get get rid of shields. She take 30 hp away from shields and turns that into health shields. After 1 second, the shields start decaying at 3 shields per second like doom fist.
  • Sombra Ultimate turns all shields and enemies with health shields. Into 15 health shields for sombra each. After 1 second, the shields start decaying at 3 shields per second like doom fist.

There are not enough counters to shields. Rein, Moira and Winston are the only characters that can damage through shields that’s not melee. Ashe can damage over shields. 2/3rd of the characters in the game can stun or push people. But only 3 characters can damage through shields.

Sombra can hack people but she’s weak asf. Like 1% of the playerbase is good with her.

Symmetra was good for 2 seconds. But her beam was nerfed.

:point_up:I understand tanks aren’t popular in pickrates. Think of it like this… Arguably, tanks like hog and wreaking ball are more fun to play than tanks like rein and orisa. The shield tanks are so strong compared to the “shield-less” tanks that you can’t play hog and wreaking ball that often and be successful. If the playerbase can play more variety of tanks instead of shield tanks 24/7. Tanks pickrates might increase overall.

Also im not trying to make orisa weaker or tanks (orisa was already weak lol she need a buff). Base off this post. Sym, zarya, winston, moira, echo, and rein is the only people that can damage through shields. They’re way more characters that push, pull and stun you.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Double shield isn’t because of the shields

9 Likes

Yup.

DoubleBarrier is always going to be better at medium/long range than any other composition.

But DoubleBarrier could have a big close range weakness.

[✅] Abbreviated Tank Changes

How is double shield is not because of the shields? They block damage and ult charge better than dva and zarya. Why wouldn’t you double shield.

You can buff dva, Winston and wreaking ball. And double shield might still be better.

You can nerf or buff damage. And double shields would still alive.

You can nerf or buff healing. And double shields would still be alive.

I don’t want double shields to go away. I just want the odds of seeing double shields to go down.

A way to do that is to make 4/5 slight counters to shields. Not hardcore counters like brig. Or increase shields recharge rate by a good amount.

Becouse of combos like halt and sigma rock or primary or even better whole enemy team into a flux.

What is the purpose of shield then if everybody can get through it? It will become useless, some Tank are already in uncomfortable position such as Orisa, making the shield would make shield ( the last resort, completely useless. Think about it, the dps would need huge nerf if this goes trough, such as reaper damage reduction, Bastion Tank formation cooldown increased between fire.zarya bubble also would need to get the same nerf, Winston would need a buff e.t.c.

Just to make shield… SOMETIMES useful or needed.

1 Like

Tanks are broken in their design and knowing blizzard it would take them about 2-3 years to fix it 100%.Simply Sigma is such a broken hero when paired with orisa and a good team.Im not asking for nerfs or anything but if they see a good pick rate in owl nerfs are coming.

So what i am getting, shield should just be a Fortify ability but as a wall, it blocks some damage for a short amount of time…

Pff… give me a break

1 Like

Why even bother to run dva,winston,ball or even hog when they will just get cc’ed to death plus free ult charge.

Shields are not a problem.Its abilties like halt,fortify and rock that are really strong when played well.Shields are just there to block as much damage as possible and sigma shield is great to counter snipers or cover some angles.

Devs could try and nerf “offensive” abilties and put more strenght into a barriers.I think with 2 shield meta problem is if you ignore a barrier you will get destoyed by rock,halt plus orisa and sigma have great defensive abilities as well(fortify and grasp).

Another guy…

Buff the counter to fix the problem only create powercteep.

Those changes sounds good against double shield but what about when one team want play a single shield???.

A comp with double Main shield tanks should have Bad dmg or range. Weakness should define the Game. Not a terrible logic of " You hardcounter me and i hardcounter You.

1 Like

Its just imo an unfixable problem.They need to rethink what a tank is.Ball doesnt help by protecting his team but rather by booping and messing with the enemy while others like rein use a barrier.Running 2 “off tanks” is pretty bad but it can be fun sometimes.And tanks should not deal more damage than “Damage” heroes.Hog is just a dps with 600hp.

That is a problem tank design is flawed and it starts to show more and more.Blizzard needs to do a massive work to fix all of them and make them good which they wont do couse they needed almost a month to revert some numbers to already existing ones for genji(28 damage how it used to be and recover how it used to be)

1 Like

Shield nerf was already a big hit.

To nerf it again would be the death of shield and the death of main tank, except Reinhart which Blizzard would make sure he is somewhat someting because it is the only tank they truely care about.

Orisa is in though position right now, she is in between the role of a off tank and a main tank, her shield is a paper shield and she has no mobility, her fortify isn’t like it used to be and without her shield she is as good as roadhog hacked.

Sigma was broken at lunch, he broke Tank role and more.

Making a shield nerf would make tanks useless, if so, just make them DPS, nobody wants to play Tank. Sure this thread is coming from a DPS main, not as a Tank main, this shows how he looked only at the how to remove it, not at the what would happened to them.

Please think about the both side more than just a « make their shield have more regen crap » it isn’t a good counterpart.

Seems pretty fixable to me.

Its kinda fixable but knowing blizz it wont be fixed anytime soon.I really like your ideas but it seems devs dont care that much.Continue with awsome work and maybe blizz will see some and take notes.They just avoid tank balance.

How they did with single tank changes and all of them went to waste.Hog changes would have been great imo with a passive that gives less ult charge.

Is a problem on all roles.

Mccree is still to multirole and bap/brig/Moira should ir they have good offensive capacitys then they should have lower healing

Well, I did suggest most the specific changes to Mei and Roadhog and the rapid patching system and made a highly publicized graphic of OpenQueue next to Competitive, and kept talking about the importance of non-verbal communication, and the importance of a anti-leaver system for Comp…

So maybe I’m just good at guessing :stuck_out_tongue: