Severe Pulsing Input Lag Spikes

I’ve been benchmarking OW2 with CapframeX. The three images below show the game when it’s functioning properly. It’s actually pretty smooth with frametime peaks less than 4ms. Input lag highs around 16ms.

Now here’s what it looks like when the spikes kick in. The spikes occur every ~4.5s. Frametimes are exceeding 20ms. Input lag highs are exceeding 40ms. 0.1% and min FPS take a huge hit.

No settings I’ve experimented with have been able to stop the spikes. They’re not related to specific maps. I’ve also tried two different NA servers with the same results.

Any benchmarking experts have some thoughts?

RTX 3080
i9-12900K
32 GB DDR5 6000

6 Likes

Have you checked for overlays? Do you also have frame rate limiter set to off?

1 Like

I don’t have any other apps running with overlays. It’s a pretty fresh Win install. I’ve tried frame capping in game, with RTSS and with NV control panel. Tried a lot of different framerates as well. The spikes come and go at random during a session, but most of the time they’re present.

I’ll install some other games and see how they perform.

Do you have vsync on? Turn it off and try fastsync in nvidia control panel.

Not using any sync, though I do intend to try a few tests with it on to see if it changes anything. There’s a possibility that the spikes correlate with the input issues I (and many others) have been having. This is what led me to discover the spikes, though I can’t say anything for sure.

What’s interesting is that even lowering the res and frame cap don’t help. Eventually the spikes will go away on their own, but then later come back.

Its not on your side. I have it about 1/30 games. I think somebody from current game had net or pc issues

1 Like

You’ve had the spikes or do you mean the mouse control issues? Or both?

Lagspikes about 1/30 games, and also mouse shoot lags in some games. Maybe 1/50, but registered it. Mostly as I played Hog, and shots was so delayed in some games, I couldnt almost hit anything.

1 Like

Gotcha. Just to be clear I’m not talking about network latency spikes, but the problem could still be server-related.

Try disabling efficient cores?

I mean, OS trying to run app on 24 threads is already a tedious task. Running on 24 threads that not equal is even worse.

Ongoing since beta.
Tried and replicated on various different hardware.

I uninstalled last night and will be taking a hiatus until they sort this crap out.

4 Likes

I just did test on mine potato PC.

I dont have spikes exceeding 10ms whatsoever. And my min fps doesnt take any hits (0% stutter).

It is something related to your hybrid core CPU and Windows settings + nvidia boost combo I believe

PS Try this, disable efficient cores. In Windows App control settings, add Overwatch and disable DEP, CET and anything that believe might affect performance.
And enable Windowed Game Optimization in Windows graphics setting

And just in case, you run Windows 11 22H2?

1 Like

Does OP have
Vsync and triple buffering off?
reduce buffering on?
Nvidia reflex on?
High precision mouse input on?

Just wondering if these lag spikes are happening with traditionally accepted best response settings.

2 Likes

Interesting. Try testing again later a few times to see if the spikes ever appear (maybe at a different time of day).

Yeah, Win 11, 22H2. I keep my e-cores disabled by default but I tested with them on and off and no difference. Hyperthreading on/off didn’t make a difference either. Also tried syncing all CPU cores to the same clock speed. I haven’t tried limiting threads in battle.net though.

I haven’t touched DEP either. I’ll disable that and try benchmarking again today. I believe I disabled control flow guard for OW2 previously. Is that CET? Thanks.:+1:

I started the testing with the classic best settings including all those you mentioned, and then began experimenting with other setting combinations. The results were always consistent unfortunately.

CET is Intel CET. Hardware Enforced Stack Protection. New protection technology (very neat btw) that is available on 12th gen Intel CPU’s and newer.

Try testing again later a few times to see if the spikes ever appear (maybe at a different time of day).

Ill try later in evening

My settings btw is everything minimum. Textures high. Reduced buffering,
100% render scale min/max. Nvidia + boost enabled. Max fps 600

You might have covered this, but did you turn off dynamic render scale?

And generally this stuff

• under Video, turn off “dynamic render scale” (this has helped make my aim more consistent)
  • under Video>Graphics Quality, turn off: dynamic reflections, ambient occlusion, and local reflections, turn Damage FX to Low, and Refraction Quality to low.
  • under Gameplay, enable high precision mouse input
  • under Accessibility: Turn Camera shake to Reduced, and HUD shake to Off

Also just because having directional audio is nice:

• Under Sound: Audio Mix = Night Mode (And maybe turn on Dolby Atmos)
1 Like

wait so does having frame rate limiter turned off can increase input lag or the oppsite?

The opposite, Overwatch 2 settings is actually quite notorious for putting frame limiter on if you tried to automatically change the video settings which imo is really dumb.

So far, only 6 spikes detected. Likely during heavy combat.
None reached 40ms, only one was above 30ms

Smooth: 504.91s (100%)
Low FPS: 0s (0%)
Stuttering: 0.17s (0%)

PS apparently during inter-round animation, FPS drops to 60fps lol
PPS May be try deleting that Xbox Overlay thing? My OS is pretty much stock except few things. Xbox Overlay is eradicated at root via command line. Now every game I try to launch, Windows complains xbox overlay cannot be launched. Dirty Microsoft lol

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay | Remove-AppxPackage
1 Like

Are your HDD/SDDs healthy?
I remember getting awful stutters in some games before and it was actually a tell-tale sign of my drives dying.