Season 21 placement math?

Just finished 5 placement matches with my buddy. Both played damage and we won 4 out of 5 matches. I got higher damage, elims, medals, time on point etc. and he ranked 1623 while I ranked 1301.

What am I missing here?

1 Like

I am seeing a bunch of disturbing posts about season 21 placements… I am going to wait for the dust to settle before I start mine. What is happening out there?

1 Like

Placements are weighted higher than normal games, but the starting point is still your last season’s SR. It is not a reset.

So, you’re likely missing that you were 300-400 SR below your buddy prior to doing placements.

Failing that, deaths count against you much more than a small gap in damage or kills. So, you probably racked up a lot of deaths.

1 Like

Was this your first comp season?

If not, then I’d need to know what your final DPS SR was at the end of last season, if you played, or whatever your most recent DPS SR was. Because if he his last DPS SR was higher than yours, then that would explain it. It just picks up from where your last SR rank was with that role, treats your 5 placements like they’re just more matches, adjusts your SR behind the scenes, and then after all 5 placements, reveals where you stand.

If it is your first season with this account, then all I think of is that you maybe died a lot more than your friend did, resulting in a much lower K/D ratio…? I’m not even sure I believe that one myself, but I can’t think of any other metric that it might be using that you didn’t already mention.

Also, maybe it was the heroes you played. I believe OW judges you against other players using the same heroes. If you were playing as, say Reaper, and your friend was playing as Widow… well, there’s lots of good Reaper players. He’s pretty tough right now, so you’d have to play better than a certain percentage of Reaper players to get a big enough boost. While there are NOT a lot of great Widow players around bronze/silver, so your friend may have had a much lower bar to clear to get a bigger SR boost.

Just speculating. Not an official answer.

Might as well go for it, it can’t be as bad as the cockup they had on day 1 a couple seasons ago when they did an accidental SR reset and placed pro players in Gold and Silver… so they had to take comp down for a couple days while they fixed it lmao

Tried to warn you

I don’t even know if this is true.
I won 4 out of 5 games.
If the 5 games I played were normal games
then I would have gotten +80 -20 = +60 and I’d be 1906 (assuming 20sr won or lost)
Instead I got +43 making me 1886.
I’m not complaining and not worried about it. I just don’t think the wins count for more. Since normally I get -20 for a loss and +20 to +28 for a win.

Correct me if I wrong,but I swear I read an article about the ranking system for Overwatch…It stated that winning games is not entirely devoted to what your ranking would be.The system takes into consideration your playing skill with a hero and places your rank according to how you compare with others using the same hero.

I finished last season Support 2736; I have won my first 3 Placements on Support so far. We will see, but if I can win the next 2 I should definitely break the 2800s.

ya i really dont get it. new player on pc. won only two games and got placed in gold, which is higher then i thought i would be, then just keep losing. i have won 3 games in total this season and not sure why i place as high as i did just to get stomped. not only that mm is rough, at least 3 of those losses was my team never leaving the spawn.

Putting new players in Gold is what they did starting at launch. These days, that’s ridiculous, imo.

It’s your MMR from last season verse placematches this season. But I have seen quite a bit disruptive threads, so maybe the matchmaking system needs to be looked into. I have had issues with the matchmaking myself. But this was a whole different topic

I finished last season on 1550
Highest SR last season was 1751
I won all 5 placement games
Was placed at 1717

Basic knowledge about competitive system.

You will usualy place where you were before.

1 Like

Individual performance. I had previous season finished at 2309, I did like 2 losts, 3 victories and I was placed 2267.

Which part is disturbing? Everything works fine.

what was your both end of season 20 SR numbers?

Yeah, they still haven’t fixed it.

As Tank

Won 5/5, - 7 golds, 2 silver, 6 bronze,
Most Elims: 48
Total Elims: 134
Solo Elims: 2
Solo Elims Most: 11 (figure that out?)
Deaths: 11
Kill Streak: 14
Dmg, most in game: 21.6k

Ranked: 865 Bronze

Full Stats screen:
drive google com / open?id=1QCUes2pAOEI_SRHxgkeQUpxtNOBdGL5W

SOOOO BROKEN!

Same happened when we did competitive 3v3 elims with my gf. She did pretty fine, even if I died she won the games with our 3rd buddy (we got him in a game then he stayed with us until the end). We got carried by him, he could 3v1 with Winston (especially with Mercy pocket lol) easily, we placed 8 wins 2 losses, I got 2970 rating and she got 1800… Then we couldn’t play together anymore, because of more than 1000 SR difference lol. :joy:

No its not true that the score is exactly the same as the one you get in normal matches. Same heroes, same winrate and
on one account I got +50 SR, while on another one I got -50 SR, so the delta between the two accounts SR went from 50 SR to over 150 SR. It’s not much, but for some it’s enough to jump a whole rank.

I ended season 20 with a 2167 SR in healing. Went 5-0 in placements. I had 11,700 healing per 10 minutes in the 5 games with gold healing in 4 of the 5 games. I had 2 PoTGs in the 5 games. I ended with a 2270 SR. Placements don’t feel weighted at all. This feels like I gained the exact same SR as if I went 5-0 during season with a 2167 rating…

Side note: During these placements I had 116 Eliminations and 18 deaths in 5 mathes.

Its not broken, you placed where you belong.