Screen Flinches on Direct Hits

I noticed this bug immediately after updating my game yesterday. Today I went into the practice range to do a bit of testing and it seems that on kill and every direct hit from any primary/ secondary fire (excluding beams), and some abilities, cause the camera to flinch. It’s very noticeable with projectiles but is still present with hitscan characters who have less significant weapon recoil like Soldier, Bastion, D.Va, etc.

Like I said, some abilities also trigger the effect including but not limited to Junker Queen’s knife, Orisa’s javelin, Rein’s fire strike, even those that don’t do damage on impact like Widow’s venom mine and Sojourn’s disruptor shot.

The bug isn’t exclusive to damage effects. Direct hits with projectiles that heal also cause the camera to flinch, including each individual Kiriko card. However, Lifeweaver’s healing blossom does not trigger the effect at all.

NOTE: Reading through the patch notes, I came across a bug fix that sounds related to this issue stating, “Fixed a bug with the camera sometimes becoming askew when the player’s movement was interrupted by negative statuses.” It could be unrelated as I’m not sure what this fix is referring to but it sounds related so I thought I’d mention it anyways.

2 Likes

Thank you for your testing efforts and detailed report!

This sounds like what’s described here: Unbearable screen shake when shooting an enemy - #6 by Dazarix-11427

For consolidated reference, that post has links to multiple topics regarding the same, with the most-replied to topic being the first in the list there. I have added a link to this topic (your post) as well.