S11: MASSIVE Screen Tearing on PS5

Something bad happened on PS5 in S11:

• Until S10, OW2 ran SMOOTH AS SILK.
  • With S11, OW2 runs LOW FPS LIKE HELL.

When a match starts, everything looks fine.
But the moment the heavy action starts,
FPS get so low that there is massive screen tearing.

Sometimes screen tearing even gets so bad that it’s impossible to aim properly.

Is there something new running in the background?
Perhaps a new anti-cheat-protection?

I never saw such low DPS on PS5.
Whatever you did from S10 to S11,
PLEASE REVERT IT - IT RUINS THE GAME :pray:

9 Likes

Same here.

I’ve only played two matches so far. The first was on the new map, and upon leaving spawn the screen was tearing super bad, and once the action started the FPS went down the toilet.

It’s incredibly nauseating looking like this, and even more so with the FPS going down that hard.

How does something like this even happen?

5 Likes

Call me crazy, but I believe it could be that they accidentally dialed up ray tracing. Rialto’s final section seems to have higher reflections on the ground.

Whatever it is, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Will play on the Series S for now.

1 Like

I dunno how they keep breaking the PS5 version of the game. I’m honestly surprised the game app doesn’t just crash when the fps dips so low.

3 Likes

I found that this option could help a bit:

OPTIONS - VIDEO - PREFERRED MODE
FRAME RATE

Before, I played this setting:
RESOLUTION

Due to the raw horsepower of the PS5 and the simplified OW graphics, I never had any problem with “resolution” mode before. However, in S11 resolution mode is almost unplayable when you want to aim precicely. - Even though setting the mode to “frame rate” does not fully cure screen tearing, it reduces this to a point where you can at least aim precicely again.

Blizz devs, why suddenly a CARTOON graphics game like Overwatch can hardly reach 30 FPS in battle? Even a game like “Hogwarts Legacy” with NATURALISTIC graphics reaches 30 FPS in “quality” mode on PS5, and performance mode is only there needed if you want 60 FPS.

2 Likes

Same here. I restarted game, console and tv and it went away completely even on the high graphics setting. Very odd.

1 Like

Same here . Since the new season I have awful screen tearing and frame drops on PS5 .

1 Like

Volunteer here. The staff is aware of PS5 issues. Follow this thread for updates:

2 Likes

Upon playing more I’ve noticed that the game has been fine in the morning, from about 4am. I normally get on at that time for a few hours and it plays like normal; however, upon getting back on at around 11am and onward, the game is back to tearing and low FPS.

Yeah it’s inconsistent for me also. Makes me think something their end is causing it rather than locally. Would also explain how it wasn’t picked up in testing if it’s due to server load or something like that.

Man I’ve had some of those exact problems you mention before S11. It just got even worse now and it seems that they don’t test the PS5 patches.

S11 patch is just even more of a mess, with huge fps drops instead of smaller ones. S9 patch was the same. They patched it later but the game was still running poorly in some scenarios.

Since around Season 3, PS5 patches are a mess. Game audio is a mess and stuttery, up until today.

Ow2 was barely playable for the majority of it’s lifespan on PS5. It was unplayable with the S3 resolution bug, the S9 fps drops and the ones we have now.

the game is in a beta state on PS5 for 2 years now.

It is also ruined for some PC players, not just PS5.
Some cannot play due to crashes/freezes and also fps drops.

1 Like

Surely they will fix this as soon as possible Clueless.

Ohh wow. Yeah, I dunno if Blizzard is low on manpower. But every patch something seemingly breaks. It’s kinda concerning ngl.

1 Like

The P5 PATCH of June 25th FIXED all my problems.

Low framerates with screen tearing are gone.
I can play with high resolution again:

RESOLUTION

THANK YOU, BLIZZ.

I had similar issue on OW1 years and years ago, and took them a month or so to fix it, if my memory doesn’t trick me, let’s see if this patch with PS5 fix also affect PC crashes.
Will edit this message with the results.

Edit - no, still the same crashes, time to forget this game for a while.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.