RTX card users chrashing

Hi, my name is RiceMan :rice: and I have been playing overwatch competitive since season 3.

I recently upgraded my GPU to one of the RTX cards and I’ve been experiencing crashes due to a “Rendering device lost”. Normally this happens at the beginning of games and overwatch has a rule where the game ends if someone leaves within the first minute or so. The server closes 10 seconds after this happens and it happens regardless whether the person leaving left on their own or if the person crashed. In other words, My game crashes and I get penalized for not being able to reopen my game and rejoin the match in 10 seconds (it takes 25-40 seconds). I’ve contacted support multiple times and I’ve been routed to this forum post, which gives a few ideas on how to fix it but none seem to work. With all of this being said, I’ve lost around 200SR just this season due to this bug and with the new season starting in a few days I don’t want my placements or anyone else affected by this bug that has a very unforgiving consequence (you lose some amount of SR, get a temp ban, and you can lose endorsement levels). If any Developer sees this, I can only ask that some feature that detects whether a player leaving was due to a crash or a player-initiated disconnect and gives the crashed player more than 10 seconds to join back.

Hope you have a nice day! :grin:
~Rice :rice:

1 Like

A developer might be more likely to see this if it is labeled under the Technical support or Bug report fourms. The General forums tend to get flooded pretty quickly.

This happens to me when my RTX GPU reaches 67 degrees celsius since it’s when this “renderer device lost” message happens. It doesn’t happen in any other game. Adjust your frame cap limit to something under 100. That will keep your GPU temps under that threshold.

If you upgraded from an AMD card, you should probably do a fresh install. The drivers and registry get really goofed up without it. Sometimes also happens with overclocking so see if it happens when you run stock.

Those driver anomalies are pretty rare in win 10, even on 7. And pretty much every modern GPU automatically overclocks itself until there is thermal and power headroom so that’s probably either faulty drivers or a faulty card.

I would keep an eye on the GPU temperature in MSI afterburner and if the crash is happening at a certain temp just set a temp limit in it.

I’m not an RTX user but I have significant problems capturing with shadowplay.

You should try to post this in Technical Support first.

A friend of mine got issues with his rtx.

The fix in his case sounds weird but actually has a good reason. Need not to be the same in your case but give it a try.

Do not start overwatch via the battle.net launcher. Look for the overwatch.exe and rename it to anything else, like overwatch2.exe.
Launch that one.

After an update you have to repeat that renaming again.

The reason why this helps is that nvidia has some game specific optimizations when the driver detects certain games. Well, and there is a bug on nvidia sides.

Maybe this helps.

Another reason could also be degraded memory. There are several reports of rtx cards with bad memory that degraded very fast. Try underclocking your memory by 10 or 20% and see if the crashes stop.

Good luck.

i just alt+z on the main screen if i wanna record gameplay
anything else seems to crash it

I only ever got this error if I had something up in VLC on another monitor/tabbed out. I don’t know if it’s something goofy with the drivers trying to render VLC and Overwatch at the same time, but that’s the only reproducible way I’ve found to get that crash at this time. Am on ver. 431.60 for RTX drivers on a 2070.

One thing I discovered was in Windows 10 there is an HDR setting for games. I was having issues with black screens that lasted for 2-5 minutes. Once I turned that off everything went back to normal

What worked for me was downloading the NVidia Inspector [from Guru] and deleting the Overwatch profile via the NVidia profile inspector specifically. NVidia has a bad profile for Overwatch and there is no real fix for it from their end yet.