Role Queue Update

Please for the love of all that is holy do not carry over the MMR from role queue beta into Competitive Season 18. The biggest issue with this is the amount of individuals that are unfairly higher than they should be. The easiest way to explain this would be that people have not taken this a seriously as they would in other season, The biggest reasons for that is one, You introduced an unbalanced unplayed character instantly into competitive with no prior warning, two, you’ve named it a beta and no one thought that this season would carry over. We were initially thinking that we would be testing a mode that would be introduced 2 weeks later, Three, you’ve given us 18 days which is not enough time for peoples real Skill Rating should come out especially in a Grandmaster setting. Four, and one of the worst ones, There is no Skill Rating Decay, That allows players to sit at high ranks for the duration of the season not lifting a finger, Making Role Queue Beta SR no where near as competitive as Normal Season SR.

9 Likes

I’m the same. I got abused to no end trying to tell people to re-read and interpret what they had said, and they just refused, insisting that “everyone else says X, you’re the only one saying Y so YOU must be wrong”. Lol, no, that’s not how reading works.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the hard work, developers.
Can’t wait to have role select in QP.

1 Like

This, so many times over. I’ve lost track of the number of times WM has said something that is just blatantly incorrect, but because he has that tag next to his name people just believe him over anyone trying to correct him. It’s ridiculous, but people need to stop believe people just because they have an ‘MVP’ tag next to their name and actually critically assess what people say.

2 Likes

Forum MVP’s started in World of Warcraft, and as far as I know Wyoming Myst is the only OW one. He puts a lot of effort especially into OWL announcements on the forums.

I do not believe they are paid or work in Blizzard’s development offices – so while they certainly can get more information than most of us due to higher visibility, they aren’t an active part of development or know everything that is going on real time.

He, like a lot of us, made an assumption based on the announcement. Hence his ask for clarification today, much to a lot of our dismay with the answer.

3 Likes

This is willful ignorance. WM has a ‘tech support forum mvp’ title. FORUM MVP. Not Blizzard employee, and they have stated many times that they are not employed by Blizzard. Since you went through my post history, try going through theirs.

Here, I did it for you:

Check.
Mate.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I’m also in favor of a full MMR reset, since the entire system of competitive overwatch is moving to a new format, I think skill rating should do the same, but at the very least the beta season shouldn’t be used for MMR.

3 Likes

Nah, there’s a couple of others. I’ve had issues with another one who just constantly gives out incorrect technical advice and, unfortunately, same deal - because they have that tag, people believe them. They end up this way because of quantity, not quality of posts.

Blizzard don’t really do anything to stem misinformation being given out - even if it’s by forum members they’ve tagged. But you absolutely can’t call them out on it, as users get banned over doing so.

Do not use the ELO gained/lost for season 18 placements. This is a huge mistake. Your placement algorithms were horrible in beta. These players do not deserve to be in high elo, yet you’re about to use a flawed algorithm to place them there?

If you’re fine with this, you should be fine with hard resetting SR for anyone above 3000. Because as it stands, games are going to be absolutely horrible for all of season 18 for anyone half-way decent at the game.

Gotcha – I don’t look at the tech support forums much so I wouldn’t know. I just see his posts because of the OWL updates.

They also have a habit of just repeating everything other people already said. /shrug

I like WM and all, but they don’t work for Blizzard. I’m glad they’re around to help people out with answers and tech support stuff, but they’re not an authority figure.

1 Like

I’m sure Blizzard will be deeply saddened if they successfully frustrate you, your friends and many more into giving them more money by purchasing new copies of the game.

Oh, wait. They wont be! This is why Comp has been trash for the longest time. To try and frustrate you into buying smurf accounts! It’s basically like a subscription fee for WoW. That’s also why they made seasons shorter.

You play an account for a Season or two, then the meta changes, or they pull a stunt like this, a certain percentage suffer from SR loss greater than 500, and a certain portion of that will be frustrated enough to buy a new copy of Overwatch.

Can you explain how people place with ~600 lower than they should on their Main Role?

2 Likes

Oh, I absolutely agree, and I know this too. But you would not believe the number of people who linked to WMs post specifically as evidence that Beta-SR wouldn’t be used - in particular on /r/ow and the associated discord. Like they were literally quoting WM directly as an authority of the topic, and it was getting frustrating refuting it, and that just because he was an ‘MVP’ doesn’t mean he has inside info or speaks for Blizzard - and there’s a massive problem that people assume (incorrectly) that he does.

They didn’t dupe anyone. You misread what was clearly spelled out in plain English. People just chose to mis-interpret it so they could later claim “but you said I could faff around and it wouldn’t count!”

4 Likes

“ELO”
“elo”

Sorry for being petty, maybe on the third time you’ll spell it correctly :stuck_out_tongue:

They are doing this to try and frustrate you into buying a new copy of the game. That’s why they would never do a hard SR or MMR reset.

I mean the dead giveaway should be that their posts are GREEN… not BLUE or ORANGE.

But what even is logic?

1 Like

On the topic of the stats from the beta season counting in the calculations for season 18, this goes against what was said previously. It’s very upsetting to see you change your stance on this, regardless of how it would affect me personally. I think that since it was said that the beta season would not count at the start of the season and people have played under that assumption, it should remain that way.

@akashra

You misquoted me. It appears I said something, that another user said :*(

I never read the damned thing. I was pretty sure all the stats from the beta will be used for matchmaking purposes.

Ah, it’s a nested quote. When expanded it shows as being a quote within a quote, but in preview mode it shows you as the top-level author. Fixed, BTW.

You’re just as much to blame in your scenario if the enemy has multiple shields and your DPS choose characters that don’t have shield break. You need to be able to adjust heroes based on what the team needs as well, not just point fingers at others for not playing the comp you want. If the enemy has 2 shields and your DPS are flankers, go Dive tanks. If they’re hitscan with poor shield break, go Ball and cause chaos to try and help your DPS get picks.

1 Like

so BTC was correct. There actually are anchor stats.

3 Likes